Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 17, 2024, 06:26:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[Today at 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 03:57:54 PM]

[Today at 03:32:18 PM]

[Today at 09:43:36 AM]

[Today at 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: descending device required for oregon in 2017  (Read 5692 times)

danr

• Perch
  • 2017 hobie outback
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Hey all, I was just reading up on oregons fishing regs for 2017, as of jan 1st, all boats fishing for ground (bottom) fish, must have a descending device on board, i copied and pasted this from ODF page...
" The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission has adopted new regulations that go into effect on January 1, 2017, including a requirement that vessels fishing for groundfish (bottomfish) in the ocean must have a descending device on board and must use a descending device for all rockfish released outside of 30 fathoms. There are also changes to bag limits. News release "

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
here's the link to the page:  http://www.dfw.state.or.us/news/2016/12_dec/120216b.asp

I have used a "descender" before.   I think its a good thing.   Always hated to see "floaters" for species that I couldn't retain.   there are some simple, non-commercial methods that can be employed from a kayak.   Personally don't see much of an impact for kayak fisher's.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Quote from: ODFW
The seven fish marine bag limit will remain in place, with these adjustments for 2017:

Create a sub-bag limit of six black rockfish.
Remove the sub-bag limit for canary rockfish.
Add China/quillback/copper rockfishes to the sub-bag limit with blue/Deacon rockfish and change the limit from three to four fish.
Remove the 10-inch minimum size for kelp greenling.

So, I read this as follows:
Still have the 7 fish marine bag limit as we did before.
Of that we can only keep 6 black rockfish.
Can we keep a canary rockfish, if so how many?
We can keep up to 4 in aggregate =China/quill/copper/blue-Deacon rockfish.
No size minimum on kelp greenling. 
What about the Cabezon?

Is this what you read, or other?  It's kind of written in cryptic lawyer language.  :dontknow:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
the way I read it,  if canary rockfish no longer have their own "sublimit"  and are not part of any other sublimit then they fall into the "total" category which would be retention of seven.

For cabezon,   the 2017 regulations still state a one fish limit with a minimum length of 16 inches.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 07:13:18 AM by alpalmer »
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Quote from: ODFW
The seven fish marine bag limit will remain in place, with these adjustments for 2017:

Create a sub-bag limit of six black rockfish.
Remove the sub-bag limit for canary rockfish.
Add China/quillback/copper rockfishes to the sub-bag limit with blue/Deacon rockfish and change the limit from three to four fish.
Remove the 10-inch minimum size for kelp greenling.

So, I read this as follows:
Still have the 7 fish marine bag limit as we did before.
Of that we can only keep 6 black rockfish.
Can we keep a canary rockfish, if so how many?
We can keep up to 4 in aggregate =China/quill/copper/blue-Deacon rockfish.
No size minimum on kelp greenling. 
What about the Cabezon?

Is this what you read, or other?  It's kind of written in cryptic lawyer language.  :dontknow:

that is pretty much how I read it, the 2017 perm. regs still need to be updated, that should clear things up more.  here is a link to the initial 2017 regs:

http://www.eregulations.com/oregon/17orfw/

my read is no change to Cabezon season or size/limit; canary move to 'any or all of the 7 fish limit', and anyone bottom fishing is required to carry a descending device.  I watched the ODFW videos and decided on the Shelton products version ($6 + $3 shipping, arrived in 2 days) since I can easily use it at any depth.  I'm going to rig it up on my green "Mutant Ninja Turtles" rod.

These changes lead me to believe the populations of China/quillback/copper/canary have recovered nicely, which is great news. 
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 06:35:55 AM by rogerdodger »
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
These are the highlights:

Changes:
• sublimit of 6 blacks
• sublimit of 4 china/blue/deacon/quillback/copper in total
• no minimum size on greenling
• no sublimit on canary
• descending device must be onboard. Required to use at > 30 fm

Reminders:
• limit is still 7 RCG and 2 lingcod
• cabezon retention July 1-Dec 31 sublimit 1

You guys have it right.  The minor nearshore complex species of concern have shown sufficient improvement to allow them to be part of a 4 fish sublimit.  You can retain up to 7 canary as part of your 7 fish RCG limit.  You have to carry a descender.  You have to acutually use it > 30 fm.  You guys got all that stuff right.

I wish ODFW required halibut fishermen to have descenders on board.  Other than that, this is a real win for Oregon rec anglers.  If you guys think this is bad or confusing, you should try fishing in California or Washington sometime.  ODFW seems to actually care about both the fish AND the fishermen.  So we get to keep the year round season.  That's what this is all about - getting to keep the year round recreational groundfish fishery.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Hey all, I was just reading up on oregons fishing regs for 2017, as of jan 1st, all boats fishing for ground (bottom) fish, must have a descending device on board, i copied and pasted this from ODF page...
" The Oregon Fish and Wildlife Commission has adopted new regulations that go into effect on January 1, 2017, including a requirement that vessels fishing for groundfish (bottomfish) in the ocean must have a descending device on board and must use a descending device for all rockfish released outside of 30 fathoms. There are also changes to bag limits. News release "

worth noting that "groundfish" species in the regs include all the varieties of rockfish, plus: lingcod, greenling, and cabezon. 

so although the requirement is to use the descender only for rockfish outside 30 fathoms, the requirement to carry it is for any boat in the ocean that is bottomfishing for any groundfish.   
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

crash

• Salmon

worth noting that "groundfish" species in the regs include all the varieties of rockfish, plus: lingcod, greenling, and cabezon. 

so although the requirement is to use the descender only for rockfish outside 30 fathoms, the requirement to carry it is for any boat in the ocean that is bottomfishing for any groundfish.   

No need to use a descender on cabezones, greenlings or lingcod though, since they lack swim bladders and do not suffer from barotrauma.

The descender rule is all about protecting yelloweye.  I've been using simple sheldon descenders for years, give them away when I have extra, and encourage everyone to use them when releasing rockfish anything greater than about 50 feet.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
The descender rule is all about protecting yelloweye.  I've been using simple sheldon descenders for years, give them away when I have extra, and encourage everyone to use them when releasing rockfish anything greater than about 50 feet.

I have a Sheldon descender in a box in one of the closets but never used it.  Haven't even looked at it in long time.  Does it require a second rod/reel like shown in You Tube videos?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

crash

• Salmon

I have a Sheldon descender in a box in one of the closets but never used it.  Haven't even looked at it in long time.  Does it require a second rod/reel like shown in You Tube videos?

NOt required. I usually swap out the descender for my iron/leadhead/weight where it is hooked to a ball bearing snap swivel.  It takes seconds.  I have the pin ziptied to a length of bungie and a one pound ball on the bottom.  It's the most efficient release with the pin that I've tried but I'm always open to see how others are doing it.

You can put them inline on your jigging line but that is just two more knots that can fail.  I've never really liked that idea.

SOme people use an old rod/reel or even a barbie pole with the line swapped out. 

You are shooting for 2/3 of the depth where you caught the fish, so if you catch in 120' releasing at least 80' deep.  Remember that when releasing or if you are using a barbie pole or something.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Thanks!  I have a short Barbie-sized pole but that's just one more rod in the Revo.  I like your method.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I like the new regs, but can't remember the last time I fished in +30 fm, so I never catch yelloweye. I have bt'd blacks & blues at +10 fm. I should carry less stuff for surf launch & exit but guess I'll add a desender. Would it work inline?

crash

• Salmon
I like the new regs, but can't remember the last time I fished in +30 fm, so I never catch yelloweye. I have bt'd blacks & blues at +10 fm. I should carry less stuff for surf launch & exit but guess I'll add a desender. Would it work inline?

Yelloweye can be caught shallower than that.  They tend to congregate which is why there are YE conservation areas like stonewall bank, which is fairly shallow in spots.  I caught 2 last year in 110 ft of water in California near shelter cove. 

Inline descenders never really worked well for me.  I need more weight to descend a fish than the 4oz in your picture - I like a 16oz ball - especially if you are descending a 7 lbs+ YE.  That and I've got rockfish unbuttoned from the pin only to immediately foul hook them on the lead head hook, have to bring them back up and do it over again. 

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008

Yelloweye can be caught shallower than that.  They tend to congregate which is why there are YE conservation areas like stonewall bank, which is fairly shallow in spots.  I caught 2 last year in 110 ft of water in California near shelter cove. 

Inline descenders never really worked well for me.  I need more weight to descend a fish than the 4oz in your picture - I like a 16oz ball - especially if you are descending a 7 lbs+ YE.  That and I've got rockfish unbuttoned from the pin only to immediately foul hook them on the lead head hook, have to bring them back up and do it over again.
Good advice, thanks.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Crash, I haven't assembled a descender setup yet.  How do you think this setup would work: From bottom to top, a 1 pound weight, a foot of mono, the descender, four feet of mono, and a snap clip.  Put it in a water bottle holder or tray in your kayak, and hook the snap clip to something so the mono won't get tangled.  If you catch a fish which you want to release, clip the descender to your lowest leadhead jig, hook the fish to the descender, and lower the fish.  When you get the fish to the depth at which you want to release it, your leadhead jig would be four feet above the fish, and when you jerk your line to release the fish, the jig will be heading up away from the fish. How do you think that would work?  It seems to me that advantages of this setup would be (a) you wouldn't need to remove your lures from your line before attaching the descender setup, and (b) you wouldn't need a second pole for the descender.