Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:43:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Fish finder recommendation ?  (Read 3428 times)

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I have a nice color Lowrance with GPS and DSI. Lately I have been longing for the not so distant past when you could pick up a smaller Lowrance with GPS but only greyscale.  With my old one, I could get 28 hours out of a 10000 maH battery, these new ones with all the whiz bang features have been sucking my batteries dry in about 4 hours causing me to go back to the heavy SLA.  I guess I am just a Luddite. ::)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Gander Mountain has the Elite-5 HDI on sale, with a $50 rebate - or $205 for the finder and the transducer.

It doesn't have CHIRP if that's important to you.  CHIRP makes very little, if any, difference for a unit on a kayak.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Lowrance-Elite-5-HDI-Fishfinder/Chartplotter-With-Suncover&i=922116&r=view&cvsfa=2586&cvsfe=2&cvsfhu=393232313136&s_kwcid=adwords__&gclid=CNam3vKaudECFUlNfgodCqAMPg

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Fish mojo

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I ended up ordering:

Garmin echoMap 43dv with LakeVu HD and Transducer  1 $179.95 (Regular $299)
Garmin In-Hull Kayak Transducer Mount  1 $18.95
Nocqua 4.4Ah Pro Power Kit for Electronic Devices  1 $79.95

Really liked what I read and saw on the Garmin echoMap. Very detailed maps, ability to track actual depth data. Super sharp Chirp and traditional sonar. The transducer with the mount can work thru hull so I wont have the transducer hanging down. The power supply is light and portable and claim to last 6-8 hours continuous use (I hope I don't regret not getting the 10 Ah). Pretty much plug and play after mounting the FF mount. Getting it all with free shipping from TheGPS store.com

I'll give a report once I get it installed and out on the water.

https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-echoMap-43dv-with-LakeVu-HD-and-Transducer-P4210.aspx
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Nocqua-44Ah-Pro-Power-Kit-for-Electronic-Devices-P4955.aspx
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-In-Hull-Kayak-Transducer-Mount-P4479.aspx

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
+1. I have the Garmin 43dv and love it. I have a Lowrance Elite 4 my power boat, it was just ok but has had some problems. Unlike the Garmin which has had none. Even after 30 min immersion. The mapping is great also. Purchased at Cabelas on sale $179.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
+1. I have the Garmin 43dv and love it. I have a Lowrance Elite 4 my power boat, it was just ok but has had some problems. Unlike the Garmin which has had none. Even after 30 min immersion. The mapping is great also. Purchased at Cabelas on sale $179.

Do you have the lake maps? I have also looked at the Garmin as a lower cost option to tide me over for a bit until I can afford what I really want, but I am concerned with the Mapping... Have you used it on Rivers or non lake systems? I can imagine it's not setup to give contours and everything, but I am mostly concerned with having a decent map that can give me rough depths as well as being able to set waypoints.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Do you have the lake maps? I have also looked at the Garmin as a lower cost option to tide me over for a bit until I can afford what I really want, but I am concerned with the Mapping... Have you used it on Rivers or non lake systems? I can imagine it's not setup to give contours and everything, but I am mostly concerned with having a decent map that can give me rough depths as well as being able to set waypoints.

Yes Matt it comes with lake maps. I mainly fish lake CDA and it gives contours, I can follow the contours with the maps and it seems fairly accurate. I'm going out in a couple of hours on the Spokane River. I will check for contours and let you know. I'm thinking no river contours though. There is an underwater hill on CDA and the only way I found it was to navigate right to it with the Garmin gps. Not all lakes are mapped though. You might be able to get a detailed list from Garmin. If you do I'd be interested in a copy.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016

Here's the list of lakes included, which is pretty extensive for the most part. http://lakes.garmin.com/  Just wasn't sure how rivers would show up since they're not on the map.

Thanks!

Yes Matt it comes with lake maps. I mainly fish lake CDA and it gives contours, I can follow the contours with the maps and it seems fairly accurate. I'm going out in a couple of hours on the Spokane River. I will check for contours and let you know. I'm thinking no river contours though. There is an underwater hill on CDA and the only way I found it was to navigate right to it with the Garmin gps. Not all lakes are mapped though. You might be able to get a detailed list from Garmin. If you do I'd be interested in a copy.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...