Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 14, 2024, 02:18:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[May 13, 2024, 08:07:15 PM]

[May 13, 2024, 05:42:39 PM]

[May 12, 2024, 01:20:18 PM]

[May 11, 2024, 08:58:38 AM]

by jed
[May 09, 2024, 09:27:35 AM]

[May 09, 2024, 08:48:33 AM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 04:19:26 PM]

by jed
[May 08, 2024, 06:33:27 AM]

[May 07, 2024, 09:39:21 PM]

[May 07, 2024, 01:53:02 PM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Backtrolling an Outback - Wilson River  (Read 2702 times)

Engine357

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2017
I was planning on drifting my Hobie next week, Tuesday or Wednesday to avoid large drift boat traffic and when the water level will be low. I was going to put in at Sollie Smith where the waters a little calmer and close to home. So here's my question. Is it unreasonable to think that my Mirage drive will be fast enough to pedal back upriver to the boat launch when I'm done for the day? or am I in over my head?

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
You will not beat most river currents especially in an Outback. I like taking mine down river, and using the drive to hold position, back troll, etc...

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

I was planning on drifting my Hobie next week, Tuesday or Wednesday to avoid large drift boat traffic and when the water level will be low. I was going to put in at Sollie Smith where the waters a little calmer and close to home. So here's my question. Is it unreasonable to think that my Mirage drive will be fast enough to pedal back upriver to the boat launch when I'm done for the day? or am I in over my head?

Yes, it's unreasonable to try that. Unless you only plan on going about 50 ft. down river from the launch.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Engine357

• Krill
Thanks for the advice, I'm still very new to Mirage Drive. I guess I'll have to find a better way to get back to my truck. I got the 180 Drive, so having reverse for back trolling will be phenomenal.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:05:38 PM by Engine357 »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
You mean like parking my trailer and car at the pull out.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Thanks for the advice, I'm still very new to Mirage Drive. I guess I'll have to find a better way to get back to my truck. I got the 180 Drive, so having reverse for back trolling will be phenomenal.

There is a shuttle service that runs on the Wilson I believe... or there was at one time.  Best idea is to go with someone else and use two vehicles to coordinate a dropoff and pickup operation.  Having a buddy also has the benefit of making your trip much safer.   :)

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Given the number of times a drift boat scrapes the bottom on that drift, I would only expect to use the kayak to reach bank spots you can't get to by land. Stow the drive in the hatch and put the fairing plug in.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Little Cos and I did it last fall when the river was at 5.5 and on the rise.   We put in at Sollie and drifted down about half a mile in total, parked the kayaks in a few spots, and waded to fish a few holes.  We didn't want to go any further with the river on the rise, fearing that we wouldn't make it back.

The ride back up wasn't easy to say the least, but we made it.  It was a workout. There were a few shallow spots where we had to pull up the mirage drives and dragged the boats up through the shallows. 

The tide doesn't reach up to Sollie Smith, so you aren't going to get any help coming back.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
We need to do some river one way drifts to get the yak feel for the rivers and since the rv from hell is out of my hands I got time now.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

polyangler

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2009
180 drive in reverse doesn't work so hot for backtrolling in current. On flat water it's great. In moving water the rudder gets pushed to one side or the other spinning you around. Point your bow into the current and pedal fwd. Adjust your cadence to either maintain position or slowly work down the run. Just make sure to spin around before the tail out so you can shoot the riffle propper with your paddle. I don't normally pull the drive unless beaching it. Just push one pedal fwd and use the bungee hook to hold the fins flat against the hull, and pull the rudder.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
[img width=100 height=100]http://i785.photobucket.com/albums/yy131/saltyplastic/NEMrod

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
We need to do some river one way drifts to get the yak feel for the rivers and since the rv from hell is out of my hands I got time now.

So you want to try being a South Coast kayaker now, is that it?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

[/quote]
 Point your bow into the current and pedal fwd. Adjust your cadence to either maintain position or slowly work down the run. Just make sure to spin around before the tail out so you can shoot the riffle propper with your paddle.
[/quote]
Good stuff right there. This is a great way to fish and it can get to be a rodeo. For paddlers you'll basically do the same thing with your rod in the holder & a LIGHT drag. You want the fish to really eat it & take line while you hard paddle forward & 180 your kayak for the fight downstream. With the rudder & paddle you can weave in & out of the fast current to present the bait/lure throughout the edges of the run. Adjusting your paddling speed allows you to slowly drift back down stream to drop your bait throughout the length of the drift. Choose your water wisely. Make sure you have a long enough “runway” to turn & fight the fish before entering another major rapid downstream from where you’re fishing.
Heres a shot of the technique fishing bait n diver on the upper Klickitat.
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

LawyerBob

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015

Count me in on that. I've got two racks on my car, so can haul two. Have only floated Mills Bridge to Sollie Smith. No experience with the water below there. But I'm generally available. =)

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

So you want to try being a South Coast kayaker now, is that it?

lol'd because I had the same exact thought.

I'm definitely in the plug and paddle camp.

Engine357

• Krill

Count me in on that. I've got two racks on my car, so can haul two. Have only floated Mills Bridge to Sollie Smith. No experience with the water below there. But I'm generally available. =)

That is my float plan, Mills bridge > Sollie Smith, first light on Thursday. Just going to have to coordinate a partner or a pick up.

anything