Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 06:44:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Herring are in Yaquina Bay/Newport  (Read 4945 times)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Myself and three others fished from a friend's powerboat in Yaquina Bay yesterday afternoon during the incoming tide and found the herring eager to take sabikis.  We found them in the channel near the NOAA boats.  They weren't really balled up, but instead were blanketing the bottom in 30 to 35 feet.  It only took about 1.5 hours for us to fill a 5-gallon bucket, and we even had a few 5-fish hookups on the 6-hook sabikis.  Most were gravid and will be used as lingcod/halibut bait, but some of the skinnier males looked good for salmon bait.  Get em while you can!  I'd head back out there this afternoon on my kayak but the wind's blowing pretty hard today, so I may have to wait until next weekend.

Most of the herring are in the 8-9 inch range.  After we split them up three ways, I came home with 93 of them.  Looking forward to converting some of these guys into much larger fish this summer  :).
aMayesing Bros.

Fisherman X

• Perch
  • "Going to the ocean is going home" - Fisherman X
  • Date Registered: Nov 2007
Nice work, Chris! Do it begins...
-Success is living the life you want-
Joel ><>

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
thursday- looks like the wind settles down.  Might try to get some!
Good fun.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I have never fished for herring before.  Is there a certain type of sabiki rig I should pick up?

I am going to be at Lincoln City for the weekend, but there is a chance I can sneak out to Yaquina Bay Saturday morning.  If I can I will try for some rockfish/ lingcod first, then try for some herring before I leave.

Any other pointer would be much appreciated.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Attached is the sabiki I like.  When I fish from the kayak, I make two leaders out of one rig so I'm only fishing with 3 hooks.  The 6 hook leader is a little long for me.  I clip a 2 or 3oz weight on the bottom and drop to the bottom.  Reel up and jig close to the bottom - I think spawners tend to be near the bottom and in the summer the herring ball up in schools a little more.

Saturday is shaping up to be sunny! Unfortunately I can't go Saturday, and my Thursday hopes have been dashed...hope to still get some if the herring stick around and weather improves.  Good luck.

Clayman

• Salmon
I have never fished for herring before.  Is there a certain type of sabiki rig I should pick up?

I am going to be at Lincoln City for the weekend, but there is a chance I can sneak out to Yaquina Bay Saturday morning.  If I can I will try for some rockfish/ lingcod first, then try for some herring before I leave.

Any other pointer would be much appreciated.
The sabiki rig bb2fish posted above is exactly what I was using last weekend, and the herring loved it.  However, I don't think they're too picky.  The four of us fishing on the boat all used sabikis with hook sizes ranging anywhere from size 4 to 8, and they all caught fish.  I attached a 1 ounce cannonball sinker on the snap swivel at the bottom.  Dropped the rig to the bottom, reeled up a foot, then just barely moved the sabiki in the water.  You don't need to do any big jigging motions, just slow little 6 inch movements are fine.  The herring will hook themselves.  When you hook one, leave your rig down there and the struggling herring will attract other herring to bite the other hooks.  We did best in the deepest water we could find, which was 30-35 feet near the NOAA dock.  Keep moving around until you find them.

I'm going to try to get out there again either Saturday or Sunday, this time on the Hobie.  Good luck!
aMayesing Bros.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod

I'm going to try to get out there again either Saturday or Sunday, this time on the Hobie.  Good luck!

Thanks bb2fish and Clayman for the info.

Clayman, if you think you might go Saturday, let me know.  Maybe we could meet up. I have never launched by Rogue, but that is where I was going to look at for launching.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011

williamesch

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
I would be down to go on sunday if anyone is interested

2016 Angler of the day- 1st place
2019 ORC - 3rd place

2016 hobie outback
2019 old town topwater
2021 Wilderness systems recon

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Here is a current article re. herring fishing from the Brookings newspaper.

http://www.currypilot.com/sports/5080994-151/pacific-herring-arrive-in-crescent-city?referrer=bullet1

The herring are gone from Crescent City. Last Friday was the height of the run but it's done now.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Is it possible to launch near the rogue brewery anymore? Used to be a large gravel area that was easy for kayak launching, but that entire area has been under new construction (rogue expanded) and no more access to the water.

Post up here if thait is still a viable launch for kayaks! I'd like to fish yaquina bay a few times and would like to stay away from the south beach ramp for power boats.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Is it possible to launch near the rogue brewery anymore? Used to be a large gravel area that was easy for kayak launching, but that entire area has been under new construction (rogue expanded) and no more access to the water.

Post up here if thait is still a viable launch for kayaks! I'd like to fish yaquina bay a few times and would like to stay away from the south beach ramp for power boats.

I've seen people park down by Hatfield and drag their kayaks over the little hump by the parking lot. I have not done it myself but I think it's close to the water.

williamesch

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015

You can park at the far boat ramp and launch from there. Gets you closer to the mouth of the harbor.

2016 Angler of the day- 1st place
2019 ORC - 3rd place

2016 hobie outback
2019 old town topwater
2021 Wilderness systems recon

Clayman

• Salmon

Thanks bb2fish and Clayman for the info.

Clayman, if you think you might go Saturday, let me know.  Maybe we could meet up. I have never launched by Rogue, but that is where I was going to look at for launching.
No problem, and will do!  If I go it'll be in the morning for the incoming tide.  I'll keep you posted.

From what my friend told me, I could launch from the beach at the Hatfield Marine Science Center parking lot.  But I'll double-check with him to be sure.  If so, it looks pretty easy according to Google Earth.  I've only lived up here for about three weeks so I'm still figuring things out  :).
aMayesing Bros.

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
The area I was going to look at is right behind Rogue Brewery in the corner of the marina. It looks like about a five foot wide path going down toward the gravel beach, but I will have to look at it first.

I have looked at the Marine Science Center for launch and didnt like it. Especially at low tide, you will go over some rough ground then drag across the mud flat. Let me know if you launch the and it is ok.