Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2017 Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament Rules Posted  (Read 5160 times)

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
It has been a while since ice caused the derby to delay. I do remember going to the harbor when you could walk all the way around your boat while at the dock. It was pretty crazy.

Delaying the derby usually hurts the prize money. A lot of people plan for the original weekend, and can't change their plans to make the make-up date. Still, a possible delayed derby will energize me to make sure my boat is ready. I actually started working on it today. I'm feeling a little funny as I start to mount an electric trolling motor. The arthritis in the knees limits me to 2 1/2 or 3 hours fishing max. Can't wait to get on the water with or without the motor.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Another plus of fishing from a yak is if you get cold, beach her and head to the truck for a warm up. Then right back out!

Actually if you take Kardinal_84's tactic and get a beach front condo at Land's End, you can come inside, heat up a bowl of soup, get some hot coffee or chocolate and then head out for the finale.  I was quite interested in doing this but LE doesn't allow pets in the rooms so that was a deal breaker.  I think the cheapest rooms were $89 as I recall. That's per room sleeping 3 or maybe 4.  Pretty good deal really.

It's also important to request a room on the first floor.  That way you can cable your kayaks right off your porch!  They likely frown on it but, but more than once, I have sent my kid in over the deck and had him warm up in the shower with his drysuit on. 

Depending on the weather forecast as we get closer, I know the general manager at Land's End and  I am going to ask if we can set up the pop up ice fishing shelters in the parking lot area.  Use propane heaters and maybe even keep a big pot of water boiling. 

This is going to be tougher than the past few years I think.... 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Reel em' up

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
What do we need to do to register under a boat name? I am thinking of bringing my kayak down for the tournament but still am unclear if I need to register my kayak as a boat?

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
What do we need to do to register under a boat name? I am thinking of bringing my kayak down for the tournament but still am unclear if I need to register my kayak as a boat?

Click register a new boat, choose new boat, then boat name and boat type, after that you add yourself as an angler on the boat lower on the page...http://www.homerwinterking.com/tournament.php?id=16
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016

Someone made the same inquiry on the Derby Facebook page today. Their solution:

It would be easiest if you just used your last name for the Kayak name. If you have any trouble call me at 235-7740. Thanks, Bridget
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Depending on the weather forecast as we get closer, I know the general manager at Land's End and  I am going to ask if we can set up the pop up ice fishing shelters in the parking lot area.  Use propane heaters and maybe even keep a big pot of water boiling. 

This is going to be tougher than the past few years I think....
A big Witches Kettle of hot soup hanging on a tripod simmering over a propane burner might be a welcome warm up and a chance to swap strategies for the next go round.   ;)

Oh oh, this just came to mind. Realize that the PRIZES that are given out every 15 minutes over the VHF radio 69 are already established and donated.  If this weather discourages a large number of power boaters from participating, that really raises the kayakers' odds and probability of nailing one of those prizes whether they catch and enter a fish or not. Its many thousands of dollars in goodies, tackle, trips, etc. Plus remember there is a specific prize for the kayak division fish and I think biggest women's fish too. And biggest white king as I recall.  And Register ONLINE  March 1st - March 10th to be entered into a random drawing for $300+ in fishing gear & prizes for the Early Bird sign up!

This might be the kayakers' year of revenge. Heheheh
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Fishapalooza

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
What about the bluff? Is there a feasible way to deploy a kayak close to those waters? I caught my first winter kings there, on a day when Steve Walli had to push us out of the harbor slush, march of 2011. Had no fishfinder, still got 3 takedowns and two beautiful 10 pound feeders!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
What about the bluff? Is there a feasible way to deploy a kayak close to those waters? I caught my first winter kings there, on a day when Steve Walli had to push us out of the harbor slush, march of 2011. Had no fishfinder, still got 3 takedowns and two beautiful 10 pound feeders!

The first year I tried, we took four wheelers up from Bishops Beach and launched about 7 miles north of Homer.  Didn't catch anything.  The other way you could in theory do it would be to launch from Anchor Point and drift south (going north takes you out of the derby boundaries).  You would have to check the tides.  WARNING: Only launch from Anchor Point when the current and foretasted weather are perfect. That area is super shallow and if there are 2 to 3 ft swells, they can break a hundred yards off shore.  It also means that the beach is hundreds of yards away from the parking lot at low tide. 

Second year, I took a water taxi south to the Islands.  Once again...nadda.  The next two years, I fished the spit.  Caught fish year one.  Then my son caught one year two.  Unless rough waters makes the spit murky, its the spot to be in my opinion.  Even if the bluff was twice as good fishing (not sure how you quantify that) you will get a lot more effective fishing time off the spit due to proximity of the beach and other amenities like the hotel, food, hot water, etc.  Just my two cents.  The bluffs are known for larger fish in the derby and thats why we tried it the first year. 

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Fishapalooza

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Thanks Rudy!

Reel em' up

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Is anybody going down to the spit this weekend for pre tournament scouting?

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I plan to go tomorrow or Saturday....or both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jinjon

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
how about this weekend weather?

leith010

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I fished all day yesterday off the spit.  Unfortunately, skunked.  No takedowns.  Admittedly, I'm new to this and my bad report might not be as bad of news to all of you as it was to me.  There was only one other boat fishing, and he was in about 130+ feet of water.  Is that normal?  I though the fish might be in the 40-50 range, but whenever I'm fishing it seems like everyone else is fishing deeper than me. I have a down rigger, and depth really isn't an issue if that's where the fish truly are. 

Maybe I'll see you out there today, Kat. 

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Thanks for the report.  Don't get discouraged.  The kings December through about mid April are relatively scarce.  Last year, they had 1500 anglers catch less than 450 fish.  99% of those folks were fishing off of powerboats.  I think we had roughly 20 kayaks and we landed 3 kings last year.

When I was researching this fishery, I was told that the colder it was, the deeper you go.  When I first started, I was fishing right off the bottom in 80 to 100 ft of water.  Caught a few fish.  Also in the winter times, you here about kings coming up with "sore noses"  apparently they are loaded with polychaetes worms that they root around for in the sand. 

Then I got lazy.  I started using 8 to 12 oz weights almost exclusively.  Then I focus in under 60 ft of water, often fishing as shallow as 20 ft.  I've caught fish there too. 

This past fall, the folks fishing downriggers were outfishing the non-downriggers maybe 10 to 1.  BUT the better quality of fish seemed to be coming shallow, so at the end of the day, even though I had less action, I came back with quality fish without using a downrigger. 

I know its not a whole lot of help, but given the conditions the fish can be anywhere.  If I was going to use a downrigger, I would probably start 20 ft off the bottom or so in 80 to 100 ft of water and then move up and in.  I am going to start the other way because I don'[t have a donwrigger set up for my son and I want to fish with him so we wiull be utilizing divers and sinkers. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

trobak

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
Weather is good down here today and tomorrow is supposed to be even better. See you out there whoever decides to go. Ive spent the better part of the winter wishing for not only warmer temps but the wind has almost entirely prohibited me from getting the yak wet. Definitely going to take advantage of the break this weekend. Here's a couple articles from the local paper. Looks like those of us on plastic may have an advantage next weekend. The bottleneck of boats leaving the harbor is tight even in ice-free conditions on derby day. Can't imagine the traffic in the harbor next Saturday!

http://homernews.com/local-news/2017-03-09/ice-blocks-harbor

http://homernews.com/local-news/2017-03-09/mother-nature-puts-winter-back-years-king-tourney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk