Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:29:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2017 Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament Rules Posted  (Read 5159 times)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Weather is good down here today and tomorrow is supposed to be even better. See you out there whoever decides to go. Ive spent the better part of the winter wishing for not only warmer temps but the wind has almost entirely prohibited me from getting the yak wet. Definitely going to take advantage of the break this weekend. Here's a couple articles from the local paper. Looks like those of us on plastic may have an advantage next weekend. The bottleneck of boats leaving the harbor is tight even in ice-free conditions on derby day. Can't imagine the traffic in the harbor next Saturday!

http://homernews.com/local-news/2017-03-09/ice-blocks-harbor

http://homernews.com/local-news/2017-03-09/mother-nature-puts-winter-back-years-king-tourney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the report!  Southwest winds bring bigger swells but its probably going to be a lot warmer than any type of North wind. 

I'm still under the weather.  But my plan is to take all day tomorrow getting ready and try and hit the water Sunday as long as the weather is modest.  Thanks to it being Sprng Break next weak for the schools, I may be able to get down a day or two early to scope out the water if the weather holds for the derby date. 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Weather is good down here today and tomorrow is supposed to be even better. See you out there whoever decides to go. Ive spent the better part of the winter wishing for not only warmer temps but the wind has almost entirely prohibited me from getting the yak wet. Definitely going to take advantage of the break this weekend. Here's a couple articles from the local paper. Looks like those of us on plastic may have an advantage next weekend. The bottleneck of boats leaving the harbor is tight even in ice-free conditions on derby day. Can't imagine the traffic in the harbor next Saturday!

Coming out of Sportsmans in Soldotna this evening after shopping for some kokanee gear.

This migrant caught my eye. Hmm, wondering who is heading thru town destined for the Spit? HA. Didn't even have to ask the guy in the cab on the cell phone. Plainly "advertised" on the side of the red Hobie as I drove by.

Trobak (and probably Kat) looks like Graves Jacob will be joining you on Saturday morning~!!!

Good Luck All.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

gravesjacob

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Haha definitely me and for sure will be in homer tomorrow
2017 Hobie Outback
Halibut Whisperer
13th place Homer King Derby 2016

2019 hobie outback

Low_Sky

• Salmon
I'll probably put the boat in the water tomorrow too. Still undecided on the derby, but it's time start making miles in 2017.

2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I've got a family member in a wrestling tournament in Homer this morning. I'll be on the water in the afternoon.

T_Bird

• Rockfish
NOAA and forecast
What you do guy think?

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011

What you do guy think?

My personal guess is they will/should delay it.  Forecast just off the spit seems tolerable.  The rest of K-bay does not.  That means the kayaks could have tons of boats stacked where we typically fish.  They are also calling for single digit lows in Homer all week with a North wind.  That means ice could accumulate near the harbor. 

I hear they are going to make a decision Tuesday (tomorrow) thats supposed to be one of the worst days so I think psychologically they will be tempted to move it. 

Still it is a "WINTER" king derby.  My odds are 60/40 they cancel it.  The cancellation rules were meant for days that are too rough.  Not so much the cold.  It will be interesting to see when they reschedule for.  Anchorage Sportsmans show is March 30th through April 2nd.  So I hope they don't push it off more than a week, but that may not be enough.
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

gravesjacob

• Lingcod
I hope they don't I might not be able to take another day off before April 4th
2017 Hobie Outback
Halibut Whisperer
13th place Homer King Derby 2016

2019 hobie outback

T_Bird

• Rockfish
Tournament has been rescheduled to 3/25.  Incase you guy haven't call in and check[emoji82]