Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 03:00:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:30:17 PM]

by DBam
[Today at 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Competition with an Apex predator...Darwin law needs to be more affective with idiots.  (Read 2205 times)

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Read the article where man tries to interven with an Orca feeding on a seal. Hope the Link downloads.  Also interested to see other opinions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
https://www.outdoorhub.com/news/2017/03/06/video-man-attempts-rescue-seal-hungry-killer-whale/
« Last Edit: March 06, 2017, 04:14:00 PM by jmbx2ditto »

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Wow...smart folks there.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Smitty

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Dec 2016
Awesome video, stupid man
2016 Hobie Outback

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
It's not going to work against an Orca, but I think a harpoon like device is going to be mandatory for all saltwater fishing from here on out...I'd really prefer not to carry while out in a kayak...lol.

It seems like the folks in WA, OR, CA get more sea lion harassment than we do up here.  I am actually surprised I haven't heard of more sea lions trying to take over a convenient floating haul out (kayak) guarded only by a tiny soft skinned mamal (me).

Article on a sealion attack in Alaska (Sand Point)
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wildlife/2017/03/06/sea-lion-boards-fishing-boat-attacks-fisherman-in-sand-point/
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
It's not going to work against an Orca, but I think a harpoon like device is going to be mandatory for all saltwater fishing from here on out...I'd really prefer not to carry while out in a kayak...lol.

It seems like the folks in WA, OR, CA get more sea lion harassment than we do up here.  I am actually surprised I haven't heard of more sea lions trying to take over a convenient floating haul out (kayak) guarded only by a tiny soft skinned mamal (me).

Article on a sealion attack in Alaska (Sand Point)
https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/wildlife/2017/03/06/sea-lion-boards-fishing-boat-attacks-fisherman-in-sand-point/

I've been charged by a sea lion before.  Biggest one I ever saw, fishing cape mendocino in Humboldt county California which is probably the most remote spot on the pacific in the lower 48.  It had been barking at me and circling me for a couple minutes when it started full at me.  It was only a feint and he dove at the last second, but it sure got the blood pumping.  I was armed with a fish bonker.   Planned on aiming for the nose.  I'm glad I never got to find out if that would do the trick, those sea lions can grab hold of you and drag you under for good if they feel like it.

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish
I think Rudy and Crashes comments are hitting home on the idea that concerns me... Negatively habutuating marine animals that we have coexistence quite well in the past. I think a lot of there behaviors stem from multiple decades when these mammals feared and gave a respected distance to humans. Though no orca attacks are recorded in North America, sea lion harassment to surfers as well as kayekers is documented in videos on the internet.
Multiple videos and stories showing sealions stealing fish off kayaks are an example of habitation that should be a concern to all.
Though not in a boat, I have been harassed by a large bull sealion in Sitka, Ak (I bust have been on his sunning rock because I did not have any fish on the bank).

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
I've had a sea lion steal a stringer of silvers that was hanging off the stern of my old powerboat while fishing the Kenai. This enters my mind each time I hang a king or a halibut off the side of my kayak as it bleeds out. Probably only a matter of time before one of those big bastards gets brave.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
New read on Sealion attack.

LOL. 

"I had orange oilskins on," he said. "He [sea lion] didn't think I was a piece of fish."

And just exactly what color is a chunk of salmon?  Must be color blind.  ;D
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
New read on Sealion attack.

LOL. 

"I had orange oilskins on," he said. "He [sea lion] didn't think I was a piece of fish."

And just exactly what color is a chunk of salmon?  Must be color blind.  ;D
The sea lion was just pissed at the guy for taking all his food it was out of revenge

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

They're on their way.  I thought it was posted somewhere in the forum, but I can't find it again, where someone put up the numbers showing that since the Federal protections went into place, there are now many times more seal lions along the West Coast then there had been at anytime in historic records.

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

anything