Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 10:34:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: halibut fishing 2017  (Read 9606 times)

Jimbob45

Attentive dates for Halibut are Thursday may 4th, Saturday may 6th, and Thursday may 11th once approved by the international pacific halibut commission and so on .... my question is .. how many participate in the halibut fishery out of Neah Bay and Hobuck beach specifically and are you willing to let a loaner tag along  ::) ... knowing its not really the best idea to venture out by ones self I am planning on the opener of may the 4th.  Granted it is all weather dependent but the forecast for that time frame is 5mph gust to 7mph .... (I realize that's a long ways out to be able to trust it).  Basically for safety sake I am hoping to get to fish with others... whether someone would like to join me or if I could get the opportunity to join some others, it would be amazing!   Any suggestions or contacts would be awesome!

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
the "forecast" that far out - hell - a week out from now - is completely meaningless.

i'll be on a boat, but best of luck and stay safe!

Jimbob45

Wow ... I'll be leaving the forum ..  I defentally don't need a babysitter.    I am ex us coast guard, currently a rescue/recovery diver , first responder .. I have years and years of experience doing things most cringe at not to mention I live and sleep my fishing and hunting  .   This is pretty ridiculous .   Especially when a person is only trying to find some people to fish with .  ...there are so many ungrateful people in this world it amazes me everyday .   

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
there are so many ungrateful people in this world it amazes me everyday .

Slow your roll broseph.  If you come back around you will find what you are looking for.  Someone with your background should come equipped with thicker skin, no?

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Wow ... I'll be leaving the forum ..  I defentally don't need a babysitter.    I am ex us coast guard, currently a rescue/recovery diver , first responder .. I have years and years of experience doing things most cringe at not to mention I live and sleep my fishing and hunting  .   This is pretty ridiculous .   Especially when a person is only trying to find some people to fish with .  ...there are so many ungrateful people in this world it amazes me everyday .   

You have to understand folks are cautious with new people because they don't know their skill set and have been placed in bad situations where people have no business being in and don't know what they're doing. Hell the first time I fished in the ocean there was a guy there in shorts and a tshirt, no PFD, and was planning on kayaking out into the ocean (here in Oregon.) Was I more than just a little concerned about this guy?? Absolutely! If he went overboard he would've been calling for help and I am not sure I would've been able to just from the kayak. How could we have deduced from your initial post that you're ex coast guard, rescue diver/swimmer? Nowhere did it mention that, just that you've been "Kayaking for a while."

Again, I am not saying you're not capable or qualified to be out in the ocean, but as others have said it's not a fishery that many would feel comfortable taking a new to them (not fishing or kayaking) person out into.   
« Last Edit: March 13, 2017, 07:48:13 AM by Matt M »
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Well jimbob, you didn't mention having any experience AT ALL in your first post, so what the hell were you expecting?  Perhaps you'd like our sister's phone number too?  Some of us have watched people die out there, so no, you're not gonna get a big ole welcome mat thrown out when you just assume you're entitled to an invite.

The only thing that's "pretty ridiculous" is you assuming you know what you're doing and assuming that we know your previous experience with anything - you know, since you didn't mention it. 

But thanks for showing us what kinda guy you are.

It's not often I go this far with things, so enjoy these pictures, asshat:

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
I get pissy about Neah Bay.  Every year sees more and more people and too many of them don't have a clue.  Doesnt help to have a close friend and experienced kayaker die in your arms and wait and wait and wait for the first responders to arrive.  And when they do finally arrive... Well I'll just put it this way, you do not want to be in a position that you end up needing them out there.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
He probably had no clue about Roland. I'm sure we were all thinking about it when he called out the entire board for not getting the welcome he was expecting for a Neah Bay halibut trip. I know I did.

There's also a level of hubris in him that needs to be checked and stowed, which only served to compound the depth of the shit he stepped in.  He went from "I don't mean to make waves" to lynch mob fodder in a 12 hour span. That might be a record.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Yikes guys. Let's try to be a bit more hospitable next time, eh? This guy was coming to us, asking questions, and trying to be safe. I'd hope we could encourage that.

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I feel like safety entails more than just someone’s skill level and physical abilities. Safety should encompass adequate social competence & ability to communicate & work with a team of individuals who are able to put their own egos & own personal aspirations aside for the better of the group. As a professional risking your life & that of your colleagues to do your job, there is no place for arrogance and intolerance that could compromise the group. IMO, these types of people are a danger to themselves & others and can become a liability real quick in adverse situations. Through his stated professions this gentleman may demonstrate the skill level & physical abilities, but his impulsive reactions, hubris approach to the group, and basic inability to communicate like a professional are huge red flags for me.
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Yikes guys. Let's try to be a bit more hospitable next time, eh? This guy was coming to us, asking questions, and trying to be safe. I'd hope we could encourage that.
Dozens of people join up and ask questions every year, how many get a negative welcome? 1 or 2 a year? 

We're usually very welcoming.

And +1 to what Murse said

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
Dozens of people join up and ask questions every year, how many get a negative welcome? 1 or 2 a year? 

We're usually very welcoming.

And +1 to what Murse said

Did we implement a "beat-up-on-a-newb" quota to the site policy and I missed it? It's ok as long as we only piss off a couple people a year? Why not just be respectful of everyone?

I've re-read the original post a couple of times and I'm still trying to figure out what was said that deserved a dog pile. Anyone care to enlighten me?

2011 Angler Of The Year
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com

Through his stated professions this gentleman may demonstrate the skill level & physical abilities, but his impulsive reactions, hubris approach to the group, and basic inability to communicate like a professional are huge red flags for me.

Where are you getting this impression, Hugh? What I saw was a guy who attempted to stick up for himself after being called out as inexperienced when he didn't immediately display an array of experience badges in his initial post, both in this thread and his intro thread.  If you had that kind of resume and got called out as being clueless after asking about the safe way to approach a specific fishery, wouldn't you be a bit miffed?

2011 Angler Of The Year

upnorthtex

• Lingcod
  • Outback/ texas power paddle
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I remember asking a few gustions then a bunch of them. I was somewhat familiar with off shore kayaking but was an absolute rookie at northwest waters. Fortunately for this old man I was "babysat" by several guys at a very foggy ORC in 2012. When I realized that there was always an experienced talker near me it gave enuff comfort to enjoy the fishing, and also some of the best days on the water since. I am very grateful for the help I got up there and for all the friends that I've gained. Treat em rite.Art

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013

Through his stated professions this gentleman may demonstrate the skill level & physical abilities, but his impulsive reactions, hubris approach to the group, and basic inability to communicate like a professional are huge red flags for me.

Where are you getting this impression, Hugh? What I saw was a guy who attempted to stick up for himself after being called out as inexperienced when he didn't immediately display an array of experience badges in his initial post, both in this thread and his intro thread.  If you had that kind of resume and got called out as being clueless after asking about the safe way to approach a specific fishery, wouldn't you be a bit miffed?

Just to remind you, I am not part of any “dog pile,” and I am entitled to my own opinion. This guy demonstrates the inconsistent behavior of a loose cannon.

Quoted from Jimbob on his introduction http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=18970.0
“thank you for the suggestions ... not interested in a guide .. I am quite capable and Idaho is the wrong direction .... hoping to find folks that fish the coast and willing to just enjoy the company of others ... its proving hard to find a group willing to do that.”
“I may have made a assumption, never a good thing my apologies, I thought the fb page was that of a guide it said "book now "   I don't mean to make waves.”
Impulsive assumption, he admitted it himself. His stated intentions do not match his words & actions. Then again, another impulsive assumption & a lash out in my book…our group is unwilling. IMO, these remarks are unwarranted without any presence of an offense.
Jimbob again:
“Especially when a person is only trying to find some people to fish with .  ...there are so many ungrateful people in this world it amazes me everyday”
He is an adult that should be able to stick up for himself without lashing out right? I thought Crash nailed it on the head with this one: “Someone with your background should come equipped with thicker skin, no?”
No one likes a bully Jeff & I’m all for the bully-beater. But this communication is ridiculous & juvenile. So no., even when treated as clueless in person & on this site I’ve never felt the need to prove myself by self-declaring my experiences & background, much less insulting a group.

Okay back to fishing & sometimes catching!!
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

anything