Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:05:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Entered the Homer Winter King Tourney - Jumping right into NW YAK fishing!  (Read 1877 times)

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Hello Everyone,
I've been lurking for several months on this site; in between ice fishing and longing for Spring.  Finally retired from the Army last fall and moved back to Alaska. Like, Franco_vega49, I am also new to kayak fishing in Alaska but not fishing in Alaska. I'd welcome any advice on what to bring to Homer for the tournament this weekend.

I'm renting drysuit from Alaska Raft and Kayak for the tournament this weekend and will have a drybag with additional snivel gear, hand warmers etc... wanted to try a few suits to better understand what I want in a suit before spending most of a grand on one...

Installed a Cannon manual downrigger on my kayak and a new helix 5...didn't really need either fishing off the Louisianan Coast...but haven't tried them out yet. 

Would appreciate fishing the tournament with a anyone who doesn't mind the company. Unfortunately, I won't get down their to pre-fish on Friday either so I'll just have to start prospecting at the 0900 start...

See you on the water,
Jonathan

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Hello Everyone,
I've been lurking for several months on this site; in between ice fishing and longing for Spring.  Finally retired from the Army last fall and moved back to Alaska. Like, Franco_vega49, I am also new to kayak fishing in Alaska but not fishing in Alaska. I'd welcome any advice on what to bring to Homer for the tournament this weekend.

I'm renting drysuit from Alaska Raft and Kayak for the tournament this weekend and will have a drybag with additional snivel gear, hand warmers etc... wanted to try a few suits to better understand what I want in a suit before spending most of a grand on one...

Installed a Cannon manual downrigger on my kayak and a new helix 5...didn't really need either fishing off the Louisianan Coast...but haven't tried them out yet. 

Would appreciate fishing the tournament with a anyone who doesn't mind the company. Unfortunately, I won't get down their to pre-fish on Friday either so I'll just have to start prospecting at the 0900 start...

See you on the water,
Jonathan

Welcome!  Sounds like you have experience in Alaska so thats a really good start.  They are deciding today whether or not the derby is still even on for Saturday.  Ice has the harbor blocked in.  Few boats working really hard to get in and out of the harbor at the moment.  That's the bad news.  The good news is that where we launch the kayaks, the biggest obstacle I have heard about so far are the Sea Lions. 

We fish directly n front of the Lands End Hotel to about the end of the Condos then out to the Green Can about a mile out.  You could spend all day within 400 yards of your vehicle and still be fishing prime waters...as long as the water isn't too murky.  If it is, you may have to go offshore some.

The reports I am getting are the kings are on the bottom in relatively deeper water. 50 to 100 feet.  I fish with my son and he doesn't have a downrigger so we are going to use divers and sinkers.  Having said that, if that is the way you are going to go, you need almost halibut rods and not standard salmon gear as we use 8 to 16 oz of weight or the largest deep six divers they make.  We will be carrying 20 to 24 oz cannonballs as well in case we need to go a lot deeper than normal.   I'd guess if you totaled all the fish caught by our group with downriggers versus non-downriggers, the downriggers outfish the non downriggers 5 to 1...maybe more.  The main reason is it gives easy access to deeper water.  BUT I am also willing to bet that if you took the average size of fish, the NON downrigger fish are larger by FAR.  One reason is the bigger fish seems shallower for whatever reasons.  The second reason is on days that I have seen the downriggers just obliterate the sinker and diver fisherman, 90% of the fish they are catching are 2 pounders.   The bias could be the past several years where the temps have been a lot warmer.  SO who the heck knows.  lol. 

I think 99% of the kayakers are going to launch from in between the Lands End Hotel and the Condos or the campground next to it. 

As far as gear goes, anything remotely resembling baitfish will get you hits.  If unsure, I would run a green label herring on a two hook trolling rig.  If you are a lure guy, go pick up a silver horde coho killer in all chrome or black and white.  90% of the time I use a flasher.  I may not during the derby on the times where I need to get deeper. 

Your main issue if the derby goes off this weekend is the cold.  Most importantly your hands and feet.  Since you have lived in Alaska before, you know the "no cotton" and no "tight fitting" socks rule.  Gloves are key too though I don't ever wear one.  Once again, you will be close enough to your vehicles to have things like hot water and such readily available.  Here's a seminar on Salmon fishing I did last year.  at the 18 minute mark, I discuss the Homer Feeder Kings. 

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Trapper

• Perch
kardinal_84 ,
Thank you for all the advice! I was going to volunteer my ice fishing shelter and big buddy heater for the "warming station" you mentioned in an earlier post but now the tourney is officially postponed.

I'll watch the video and may try fishing in front of the hotel on Saturday anyway; just to get used to downrigger operation on a kayak.

I've got two additional questions for you:

Will my 8lb downrigger weight be enough for the Inlet?

Where did you purchase your metal wire Salmon Stringer as seen on You Tube? I've got a large 48" mule "bag fish Cooler" but its awkward when tied to the top/front of my yak...

OK. Three questions; is there anyone working to start a chapter of Hero's On the Water(HOW) here in Alaska? I contacted the organization and received the baseline info on how to start a chapter but I need more yak fishing experience in Alaska first. Would love to offer my support/time to any efforts to build an Alaska chapter though!

Thanks again,
Jonathan

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Welcome AK Trapper, I was in the same position you are two years ago, retired military, moved back, new to kayak fishing but not to Alaska.  kardinal_84 and others on the forum have been awesome mentors and even put up with me when I got seasick my first trip out. 

The maiden voyage of my new yak was attempted last year at the Winter Tourney, tried to pre-fish Friday, and again got seasick. A year later, several trips on lakes and a few in the salt and I am much better prepared and much more confident with my gear and skills.

I also looked into starting a HOW chapter up here, got a lot of info from the regional directors, I just don't think I have the time to invest in managing a chapter.  However, I am more than willing to assist in any way I can and would thoroughly enjoy taking vets out on the water. If enough of us get on board, I'm sure we could get an Alaska chapter going.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Yes.  8# is plenty.

Where did you purchase your metal wire Salmon Stringer as seen on You Tube? I've got a large 48" mule "bag fish Cooler" but its awkward when tied to the top/front of my yak...

I'm pretty sure the local source for those is Alaska Mining and Diving.
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Welcome!......

I like your style.  You really model what an ambassador of the sport should be.  I love the Alaskan spirit in general, but that's giving some extra effort.

Good luck to everyone fishing the Tournament. 

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Yes.  8# is plenty.

I'm pretty sure the local source for those is Alaska Mining and Diving.

Yup I use 8 pounds.  Becasue you are on a kayak with a single line, if you are really good at Trigonometry, you can get away with 6lbs.  Butif you start trolling big flashers and big baits deeper, it will be easier to use 8lbs.  Its not that much if any more drag. 

I had not thought about AK Mining and Diving.  But yeah, they are dive/spearfishing clips.  Super handy.  I had to order mine online.  I'd rather always buy local though. 

I will say I just switched reservations at Lands End and was surprised to hear they were virtually sold out.  Did get a small single room but I'm not sure if there is a hockey tournament or what going on. 

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AK Trapper

• Perch
Thank you for all the responses!

kardinal_84 - Thanks for the information and the heads up on the hotel. I'll call right now to get a room for the 25th...

AKFishOn - I will fish hard this year and see how many kayakers are interested in helping out with a HOW chapter and event next summer, many hands will make light work...if organized correctly.  Also, I imagine the unique challenges of Alaska waters will require additional sponsor support for protective gear etc... will talk to other NW Chapters on work involved and how they put events together.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Welcome!......

I like your style.  You really model what an ambassador of the sport should be.  I love the Alaskan spirit in general, but that's giving some extra effort.

Good luck to everyone fishing the Tournament.

Thanks snopro!  We have a great group of folks up here and every single one of them would do what I do to help others in need. 

The benefits I have received from helping others has by exponential magnitudes exceeded any cost or effort.   I am an absolute hermit in real life.  Outside of fishing, I have zero life.  Haha.  Sad but true!   But in most fishing scenarios, you can become unpopular very quickly by helping others, giving out spots, etc.  I did it a lot pre kayak fishing...enough that I was accused on several occasions by guides on the Kenai River who reported me for guiding without a permit.  But that's the beauty of kayak fishing here in Alaska.  We could increase the number of anglers by 100 and still have plenty of room and space to go fish.  Okay, we all can't fish exactly where I am fishing that day, but there is definitely tons of possible locations that aren't heavily fished yet.

One day, my son, probably not me, may try to launch and find no parking or its just too crowded.  But that is still years off into the future.  This year I am hoping to branch out more into fishing on rivers and lakes to get folks who aren't interested in King Salmon and Halibut more interested.  I find it hard to believe, but I am told there are folks who enjoy fishing that doesn't include halibut or king salmon. hmm... I must check into this...lol. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Where did you purchase your metal wire Salmon Stringer as seen on You Tube?

If you can't find one at AKMD, I ordered mine off of ebay, http://www.ebay.com/itm/172243878058?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
and have a second one coming in the mail any day now from the same source since I'm planning on rigging a second kayak this year for visitors and friends.
I added a piece of 3/8" OD poly tubing (30 3/8" long) to my stringer. The increased diameter is less likely to cut through the gills and chin of the more delicate species or those that are quite heavy when lifting, or if they are thrashing on the wire. The tubing is easier and quieter on the kayak hull too if you have your stringer hanging in the water.

You sound like you have plenty of enthusiasm for being a quick learner. You will gain a lot very quickly on the NWKA boards. And no doubt will be a contributor too for the next wave of newbies. Glad to see a new member of the AK poly fleet.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

AK Trapper

• Perch
Klondike Kid,
Thank you for the spearfish stringer info! I'll try Alaska Raft and Kayak first since I'm going there anyway this week.

Like the plastic tubing idea for noise reduction and I've seen it at Lowes...

See you on the water!

Jonathan

AK Trapper

• Perch
I meant AKMD...same time as I go look at AKR&K suits...

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Love the poly tubing idea on the stringer! Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anything