Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 02:30:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 02:07:04 PM]

[Today at 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Official Notice - Homer Winter King Tournament MOVED to MARCH 25th  (Read 1908 times)

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
HOT OFF THE PRESS~!  Too much ice in the harbor and SAFETY is always the issue.  Here is the Official Press Release just announced to postpone the event until March 25th Saturday.
=================================
Bridget Maryott
Homer Chamber of Commerce
marketing@homeralaska.org

2017 Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament

Ice in Homer Harbor - Tournament Postponed until 3/25/17

Homer, Alaska: The 24th Annual Homer Winter King Salmon Tournament Safety Committee has met with the Homer Port and Harbor to address the feasibility of holding the tournament 3/18/2017 due to the excessive ice in the harbor.

Based on official forecasts from the National Weather Service for Kachemak Bay, the weather trends forecast continued cold temperatures and north winds causing freezing spray and icy conditions.

Current conditions in the Homer Harbor & launch ramp pose significant challenges to tournament participants. Based on these conditions, The Homer Chamber of Commerce felt necessary to make a call today due to the size of the tournament, the distance of travel involved, and the concern for safety of participants, boats and the harbor infrastructure. We expect these icy conditions to continue, therefore a decision has been made to postpone the 24th Annual Homer Winter King Tournament until March 25th 2017.

=>>>All anglers registered for the tournament will be contacted directly by email regarding their registration. If registered their registration will be automatically transferred to March 25th 2017.

We appreciate your understanding and apologize for inconveniences this may cause.
=================================

Here is the Homer Spit Webcam link. You can see the ice conditions in the harbor in real time.
http://homerwebcams.com/
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

leith010

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Yuck.  Well there's always next year I guess. 

gravesjacob

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
2017 Hobie Outback
Halibut Whisperer
13th place Homer King Derby 2016

2019 hobie outback

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Any kayakers still thinking of fishing this weekend?

I'm trying to decide where I'm going to go and try out a new sonar and downrigger...like most places in AK this year, I'd have to chainsaw out a large hole in the ice to do that here in the Valley right now....

Just made reservations at Lands End resort too!

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Any kayakers still thinking of fishing this weekend?

I'm trying to decide where I'm going to go and try out a new sonar and downrigger...like most places in AK this year, I'd have to chainsaw out a large hole in the ice to do that here in the Valley right now....

Just made reservations at Lands End resort too!

That's a good question.  I have to change my reservations too.  I better check whittier and Seward too a I want to get in the water to test my gear and electronics after a long layoff. 

Its forecasted to be in the mid twenties.  In a lot of ways, that is the limit of "reasonable" kayak fishing. 

Here's some pics from about 15 to 20 ish degrees as it had warmed up a bit after the sun came up.  The pics are the last 15 to 30 minutes of ice accumulation as I was trying to knock it off along the way. 

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

leith010

• Herring
I might head down this weekend to fish anyway.  We'll see what the weather report looks like.  Right now, Saturday looks like 15 knot winds, 2 foot seas.  Time will tell. 

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
Well I'll decide on Friday whether to make the drive...Misery loves company so if anyone else decides to go let me know and we can link up.

Lawngjohn

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
I'll be down there for sure this weekend. Already took Friday off and have a room at lands end. If anyone's up for St. Pattie's Day beers let's hit up the salty!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I'll be there Sat or Sunday if the wind lets up a little.  Had to change my reservation at Lands End. Completely booked up Thurs and Fri of the new tournament date. Had to go with a place on Air BNB for the days before the tournament.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leith010

• Herring
Looks like beautiful weather this weekend!  Heading down for Saturday and Sunday.