Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:31:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 08:37:24 PM]

[Today at 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 07:22:33 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Homer Winter King Derby results  (Read 5619 times)

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
AKfishon you said you love your propel drive and I could see advantages to it in fishing around a dock or right in front of rock piles without having to pull the 180 drive cord, how is it speed wise when compared to the mirage drive. Also is the native sturdier on the water than an outback, after looking at the slayer models I noticed it being lighter  but a decreased weight capacity of 75 lbs from the outback.  How is the storage on it, can you get most of what you need in front of you without a hatch at your feet and the rails on the side? On the outback you can't put anything under the seat in the low position (or at least I can't) does your seat have the room for storage?  I know this is a forum about the winter king derby so I apologize, but I have not been able to talk to anyone in person who owns one.  I am a gear nut who is always on the lookout.     

Rdrash has most of your questions nailed well.  I've gotten up to 5.5 mph on a lake, not sustainable for me for any length of time...if I wanted speed, reckon I'd fish from a PB.  I've never tried an Outback, so I cannot compare.  I don't store much in the front, I figure if I can't reach it, I don't need it on board.  Bought the optional cover for dry storage if need be. 

I put two larger plano type boxes side by side under the seat, even a 3.5 inch deep one. To prevent loss for (when) I turtle, I added a pad eye to each one and tied a length of p-cord to small carabiners long enough so I can pull the boxes out and set them on my lap.  I can place one more plano box, with flies, leaders, hootchies in the bungied area right behind the seat.

I added two 30 degree flush mount rod holders behind the seat for a net/gaff/harpoon and a spare rod.  My rod holder is a Scotty Orca with the extension mounted to the gear track with the Scotty Gearhead.  (Worked quite well at the derby)

I have the Boonedox Landing Gear so rear tank well is cut a little short, only thing I put back there may be a small bait cooler for warmer days anyway. And fish if there's no doggone sea lions around. ;-)
Again, if I can't easily reach it from the seat, I don't need it on board. 

There are a lot of other add-on storage options Native and other manufactures have out there.

I guess to see it would better explain everything.  I also just procured another Slayer for my wife, so if anyone wants to meet up sometime for a demo, I'm game.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"