Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 06, 2024, 02:56:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 01:30:17 PM]

by DBam
[Today at 10:23:23 AM]

[May 05, 2024, 10:15:00 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 11:31:01 PM]

[May 04, 2024, 07:01:25 PM]

[May 03, 2024, 05:31:42 PM]

[May 02, 2024, 04:57:43 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 04:21:36 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 12:53:59 PM]

[April 30, 2024, 11:21:53 AM]

by Spot
[April 28, 2024, 01:57:51 PM]

[April 27, 2024, 06:01:15 PM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

Picture Of The Month

BigFishy with a big springer!

Topic: Inflatable kayaks for river fishing  (Read 3257 times)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Hi all - My old "river kayak" was an OK Scrambler, but I sold that before I moved here and my current armada of boats are not the best for small rivers (Hobie Revo 13 and OK Trident 15).  Now that I'm surrounded by fishy rivers on the Oregon coast, I'm looking into buying an inflatable kayak to help access river sections that are inaccessible by foot.  I mostly want the inflatable for easy portaging and potentially some solo floats (the type where I'd drop my mountain bike off at the take-out).

Anyone have suggestions for an inflatable river kayak?  There are way more options out there than I originally thought and I've only paddled an inflatable once, many years ago.
aMayesing Bros.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I don't think they make it any more, but the Sevylor River XDS was really great for steelhead drifting.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
Here is a link to what it looked like.  https://www.rei.com/product/736985/sevylor-k1-river-xds-inflatable-kayak

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Clayman

• Salmon
Here is a link to what it looked like.  https://www.rei.com/product/736985/sevylor-k1-river-xds-inflatable-kayak
Definitely the style I'm looking for, but yeah, too bad these are no longer in production.
aMayesing Bros.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010
Check out AirKayaks.com they have many inflatables that are suitable for fishing rivers.  I've bought from them and can recommend doing business with them.  Look at the Advanced Elements StraitEdge Angler Kayak - AE1006-ANG, http://tinyurl.com/mq7snu7.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
There are a lot to choose from.  Single seater with wide spread between the main tubes is a great choice.  Look for foot braces, heavy duty construction, and self bailing floors.  REI sells an angling specific model that looks sweet.  You will likely be sitting in a small amount of water with any inflatable SOT.   

Clayman

• Salmon
There are a lot to choose from.  Single seater with wide spread between the main tubes is a great choice.  Look for foot braces, heavy duty construction, and self bailing floors.  REI sells an angling specific model that looks sweet.  You will likely be sitting in a small amount of water with any inflatable SOT.   

Sweet info, thanks.  After perusing some of them, I need to decide whether I want the ability to back-troll plugs or not.  Some of the angling-specific inflatables include places for rod holders, which would lend itself to pulling plugs.  But those angling-specific inflatables also cost more than the non-angling models, at least a couple hundred extra bucks in most cases.

Meanwhile, I could sacrifice the back-trolling option and save some money by buying a cheaper non-angling-specific kayak, which I would use more for downriver travel to bank fishing spots and maybe some boondogging/side-drifting stuff.  Lots to think about here...
aMayesing Bros.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
Sweet info, thanks.  After perusing some of them, I need to decide whether I want the ability to back-troll plugs or not.  Some of the angling-specific inflatables include places for rod holders, which would lend itself to pulling plugs.  But those angling-specific inflatables also cost more than the non-angling models, at least a couple hundred extra bucks in most cases.

Meanwhile, I could sacrifice the back-trolling option and save some money by buying a cheaper non-angling-specific kayak, which I would use more for downriver travel to bank fishing spots and maybe some boondogging/side-drifting stuff.  Lots to think about here...

If you get a non-angling model you can add rod holders with the Scotty Glue-on Pad for Inflatable Boats Grey, http://tinyurl.com/lkt9ygf
I added one to my i11s and it works great with the Scotty holders.

Clayman

• Salmon
If you get a non-angling model you can add rod holders with the Scotty Glue-on Pad for Inflatable Boats Grey, http://tinyurl.com/lkt9ygf
I added one to my i11s and it works great with the Scotty holders.
Interesting.  Do you think they'd hold up to a plug take-down from a salmon or steelhead?
aMayesing Bros.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
Interesting.  Do you think they'd hold up to a plug take-down from a salmon or steelhead?

I hope to test that idea this spring, but I don't think there would be a problem.  There are super strong glues to use, I used HH-66 PVC Vinyl Cement, and trying to remove the holder would likely destroy the boat fabric before the glue would fail, which I don't plan to test!

alpalmer

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
Take a look at Pack Rafts if you want something that can be coupled with a bicycle for shuttling.   Not necessarily a good boat to fish from but can be easily inflated/deflated and carried in a backpack.
"A venturesome minority will always be eager to get off on their own,
and no obstacle should be placed in their path;
let them take risk, for God sake, let them get lost, sun burnt, stranded, drowned,
eaten by bears, buried alive under avalanches -
that is the right and privilege of any free American."
--Edward Abbey--

Jlag

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
Check out AquaGlide Blackfoot kayaks. Hands down the best for any river fishing IMO. I have the 2 person but fish it solo for Steelhead and Salmon on the Oregon coast. Self bailing, drilled inserts for rod holders that can handle any take down and it's made of raft material so extremely strong and durable.

JL

Warf

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Check out the NRS Pike inflatable 'yak. Not cheap but about as good it gets, top quality, also has a self bailing floor so no wet butt fishing. NRS is in Moscow, Idaho....warf

ndogg

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • "Fists of Fury"
  • Date Registered: Sep 2009
I have a Sevylor River XDS that I use for rivers, unfortunately they don't make it any more.   I one thing I like about it and it is probably true for most inflatable kayaks is that you can put  a milk crate behind the seat before it is fully inflated and lock it into place by fully inflating it.