Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:35:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 24, 2024, 07:17:06 PM]

by Spot
[April 23, 2024, 10:57:58 AM]

[April 23, 2024, 09:01:15 AM]

[April 22, 2024, 05:40:19 PM]

[April 21, 2024, 08:33:45 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Inflatable kayaks for river fishing  (Read 3247 times)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I appreciate the suggestions all!  I looked up every one that was mentioned, and right now I'm zeroing in on the Aquaglide Blackfoot.  Seems to have everything I'm looking for with its durability, fishing-readiness (rod holder mounts all over the thing), and packability (34 pounds and comes with a backpack).  Currently talking with a seller in CA for an at-cost deal on one.  Ideally, I'll have it ready to rock soon for coastal spring Chinook  ;D.  Thanks again!
aMayesing Bros.

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
I test drove a bunch of the Aquaglide models when they first came out.  Good stuff.  I'm also currently researching inflatables, for a far off adventure to a remote island atoll.   ::)

-Allen

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Were you able to test or see the Blackfoot?  Looking at the photos of it online, it almost looks like the position of the front Scotty mounts would interfere with your paddling.  The blade appears to already be inline with the mount, and the guy is finishing the paddle stroke, and I wonder if that's true or just the camera angle:

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Were you able to test or see the Blackfoot?  Looking at the photos of it online, it almost looks like the position of the front Scotty mounts would interfere with your paddling.  The blade appears to already be inline with the mount, and the guy is finishing the paddle stroke, and I wonder if that's true or just the camera angle:
Gotta be camera angle it appears to be mid to lower shin area unless you gots a bad case of gorilla arms you should be good.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Gotta be camera angle it appears to be mid to lower shin area unless you gots a bad case of gorilla arms you should be good.

Who are you calling an ape, Mr. Jojo?

I saw that.  I was thinking with the rod holder attached...
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
That's a big concern that I'll have to look into, as I haven't had the opportunity to demo one of these things.  But what I liked was the wide array of options for where to put the rod holder: there are seven Scotty mount positions at various points along the length of the kayak.  So at least I'll have some freedom on holder placement that won't hinder my paddling.  I think the only thing I'd use the rod holder for would be back-trolling or trolling in estuaries, though chances are good that I'll stick with my Hobie for the larger estuary-type fishing.

Videos of the Blackfoot also show people standing up in them.  That could be a very helpful feature, especially if I'm looking for deeper slots in frog water and near tailouts that may not be visible from a sitting position.
aMayesing Bros.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

Who are you calling an ape, Mr. Jojo?

I saw that.  I was thinking with the rod holder attached...
I place mine closer on the Big Tuna and as long as you angle it right it misses the paddle.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

BigBore

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
I have the NRS Pike and it's a great boat. I've used it on milder rivers, lakes, and in the salt. Not very fast but very steady.
NRS Pike Inflatable

BigBore

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
NRS Pike Inflatable

Jlag

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2014
It's the camera angle that makes those rod holders look in the way of the paddle stroke. I've trolled 2 rods at once and never have an issue with my stroke.

There is also a mount for rod holder dead center right at the rowers feet, which is really nice with a extension as you can grab it really easily.

JL