Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:07:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 07:40:17 PM]

[Today at 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Anti Kayaker...lol. Interesting thread.  (Read 4580 times)

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Same dude that wanted Jake to buy his drives back from him? Yeah... Dude better hope he don't run into us out there lol.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Not the same guy. The guy in discussion isn't anti-kayaker. He's anti-Rudy. I haven't crossed paths with him, but he doesn't sound like somebody worth wasting breath (keystrokes) on. Let's talk about fishing instead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Same dude that wanted Jake to buy his drives back from him? Yeah... Dude better hope he don't run into us out there lol.

Just for clarification, its not the same guy.  But BOTH are on my list from a kayak perspective.  What Low sky said.  the guys is Anti-Rudy and he is willing to make the entire kayak community pay to get back at me.

This Dan M tried a reality show?  And he is calling me out for self promotion?!?! LOL. Didn't think this could get more amusing. Ok, I better look this up.  I want to know what this guy looks like.  Too bad I said I was done on that other thread.  I'll save it for the next time. 

I understand there is always a bad apple in just about any subset of people.  The main point here is to emphasize safety as we enter a new year, as people are watching.  Second, is to know that despite how cool we all think kayak angling is, there are detractors for various reasons.  We should make mental notes to see how to mitigate these issues. 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:40:32 PM by kardinal_84 »
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016

Kat - before I had even picked up my Outback in Anchorage I had already designed and then ordered the components for making my own strap system for righting a kayak with an "expected" 50 lbs of gear and bungied fish on board. My envisioned "worst case scenario." Once I had my boat in the yard I proceeded to sew up the rig based on the dimensions of my boat and my body size - arm reach and leg length and boot size. The hand hold will be used either for righting the boat or assisting my re-entry if needed. The foot stirrup allows me to use my body weight and height to easily "stand up" to force the kayak to roll over.  I suspect you may have the "store bought" version but one day when we meet up I'll show you my design and perhaps it might be a better way to go based on an exact fit to your body. Mine even floats! :) And is only the size of my hand and weighs 8 oz. And only cost a few bucks in materials.

Do you have any photos of your strap system for righting a kayak.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
• Just for clarification, its not the same guy.  But BOTH are on my list from a kayak perspective.  The guy is Anti-Rudy and he is willing to make the entire kayak community pay to get back at me.  Definition of a loser to me. 

• This Dan M tried a reality show?  And he is calling me out for self promotion?!?!

• I understand there is always a bad apple in just about any subset of people.

Well I've held off long enough Rudy. Heheh

You have a very short list...please keep it that way.  :)  But don't stop doing what you are doing.  After 20 years on my website bringing a million people to Alaska to fish in everyone's secret honey hole I still don't wear a flak jacket nor tinfoil my street-facing windows to prevent a drive-by assassination.  No one in this state has a bigger "target" on his back than myself for "ruining" it for everyone else. Yet in all those years I've only banned about a dozen people from access to the domain and so far on Facebook there are only 3 I have blocked. All deserving of the "punishment" for crossing the line. Yet the irony is they come to my information to glean every tip and bit of news about someone else's hot spot or to discover a new honey hole for themselves to capitalize on. That's called being a hypocrite.  I've even been accused of conspiracy to destroy Alaska. LOL

As far as ruining the winter king fishery in Homer, you should see the type of emails I've received from locals after posting hundreds of deck filled limits of feeder kings on the Internet to get Capt. Shane's business up and running. I take it all in stride with a grain of sea salt.  Same thing happened when I started promoting Res River sockeye and providing the timing charts and reports. A few Seward locals wanted it all for themselves....a 100,000 fish run. Ain't gonna happen as long as I'm alive.

So carry on and keep that torch burning brightly.

Reality Shows: FYI to all, as soon as you post a personal video on Youtube you have just engaged in promoting yourself in your own reality show.  :) We are all guilty as charged. Too bad the pay is terrible most of the time. LOL Still waiting on that million view viral vid to monetize.  Maybe my Kodiak trip will see my ship come in.

The bad apples are far outnumbered by the good of the many. And in fact most folks easily recognize those bad apples too. OD is no longer a part of my life. Not one wasted breathe. When I saw how many cyber-bullies have populated the boards there and listened to a number of them bad mouthing, ridiculing, and insulting Coho Dave after he was dead I high leveled and got into it with one guy in particular. Got bad enough for the Admin to step in. Told him he will never see me again to offer anything on his board. And they were the ones that wanted to take over my website after I shut the doors. Shame they have no real moderators taking charge of that crap. That sort of thing was why I shut down my boards on both sites.

Well on to other business. Just posted the Homer King Derby final results over on Facebook. I'll go add the numbers on the appropriate thread here.

Let's fish!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I knew you would have a great perspective KK.  I choose to publicize my fishing  exploits for whatever reason.  I better be prepared for the one or two negative remarks that are made.  And really, like you said, it is just one or two a year which is awesome given the hundreds of people if not thousands that I get to interact with positively. 

I am over it.  My normal persona is that you mess with me, well you are going to regret it.  Its actually worked out very well for me on a number occasions.  But I can't be that way when I am reaching out publicly to so many people.  There's nothing these days where you are going to get 100% of the people to agree to anything.  I just need to be glad that by my count 99% of the feedback I get is positive.

The issue with this particular guy wasn't the first time.  I passed the age of 50 last year...I just need to grow up.  lol.

I'm in!! Let's fish!!!!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Rdrash

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Knowing where the fish are at is about 30% of getting them in the creel.

Search his name on amazon TV or IMDB. BTW he sits in the homer harbor safety advisory board if your ever in town and want to sit through a meeting.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

Not the same guy. The guy in discussion isn't anti-kayaker. He's anti-Rudy. I haven't crossed paths with him, but he doesn't sound like somebody worth wasting breath (keystrokes) on. Let's talk about fishing instead.

He's got some pretty sweet pics on his myspace page.

https://myspace.com/akdano/photos

Actually at first glance seems like a guy that should be easy to get along with.  meh.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Holy crap I didn't realize myspace was still a thing!

I read the thread. I don't get the "self-promotion" thing. As Rudy pointed out it's not like he's making a bunch of money or something. In my experience 90% of posting videos online is to spread the stoke or educate. The other 10% is to make sponsors happy. In either case, what's the harm?

Dude doesn't sound like he's worth the wasted emotion. "Keep it off my wave..."  8)

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Rudy, you are the best and introduced me to something I absolutely love. I will always have your back for that. Demanding money for a drive system found on the beach is pretty petty and low.

Kat, what happened with the downrigger ball? It sounds like it got wedged in between some rocks. What is this strap idea being talked about?

I have a strap system that attaches to the handle on one side of the kayak.  The straps are enclosed in a bag. If the kayak flips, you pull down on the handle to release the straps from the bag. You can the toss the straps over the kayak and use the to right it and also use one for a step and one for a handle. Pulling on one end shortens/lengthens the other end to be able to achieve a good fit for stepping I a strap to help hoist yourself onto the kayak easier. I will be practicing with it a bunch this year!

Would love to see Klondike Kid's set up as well.

crash

• Salmon

There's still a blockbuster video in Soldotna, I just figured it was the Alaska retro thing.  ;D

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013

There's still a blockbuster video in Soldotna, I just figured it was the Alaska retro thing.  ;D

:D

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I have a strap system that attaches to the handle on one side of the kayak.  The straps are enclosed in a bag. If the kayak flips, you pull down on the handle to release the straps from the bag. You can the toss the straps over the kayak and use the to right it and also use one for a step and one for a handle. Pulling on one end shortens/lengthens the other end to be able to achieve a good fit for stepping I a strap to help hoist yourself onto the kayak easier. I will be practicing with it a bunch this year!

Would love to see Klondike Kid's set up as well.

What is very peculiar is after Rudy infected me with a fatal dose of the bug it was just a matter of time before I whipped out the CC and became an owner. So I lived a lot vicariously which prompted me into thinking seriously about a new dimension of safety requirements factoring in worst case scenarios. That was when I designed my strap system. Boy I started thinking "Hey this is a great innovation. Maybe I'll patent it and make a fortune." Then I went to pick up my kayak at Alaska Raft and while filling my shopping cart with a load of accessories came across their display of several rescue straps hanging on the wall. Maybe the type you have Kat. Boy did my bubble burst!!!  You see those cartoon animations of a dollar bill with WINGS flying away? That went through my head.  ;D

Your device sounds like it operates more or less like mine except for your adjustability feature.  Since I could sew up mine to my personal body needs the adjustable slip strap wasn't necessary. I can see the store bought units need to be a one size fits all for easy marketing.

We KP locals should all plan to get together maybe at Longmere or Sport to practice with our safety gear. Right after ice out would actually be a good time as the colder water would simulate reality much better than 65° in mid summer. As you found out, cold shock and body heat loss happens quickly even in an immersion suit. So duplicating real life conditions in early spring would prepare us for true ocean conditions.  Still have 30" of ice on the lakes. Bummer.

Idaho Brit - just Google "kayak rescue stirrup" and you will see listings and videos. North Water makes a popular one.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
Don't feel bad. On different occasions, in the not too distant past, i've "invented" (1) the concept of restaurant franchises, and (2) the mint julep. And then was dumb enough to explain my "invention" to my gf....who is somehow still with this doofus.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
We gots us one of them there anti-kayakers fellers right here in Garibaldi...... total jackass IMHO .... he owns a tackle and boat rental store that shall remain unnamed, but I'll drive to Barview or Tillamook before I buy an ice cube from the complete DOLT.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

crash

• Salmon
We gots us one of them there anti-kayakers fellers right here in Garibaldi...... total jackass IMHO .... he owns a tackle and boat rental store that shall remain unnamed, but I'll drive to Barview or Tillamook before I buy an ice cube from the complete DOLT.

That sounds like exactly, precisely, 100%+ without a doubt the type of man who should not remain nameless.