Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:51:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by PNW
[Today at 08:37:24 PM]

[Today at 07:54:10 PM]

[Today at 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 07:22:33 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: New lakes to me...  (Read 1634 times)

Warf

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2015
Has anybody fished these lakes in north Idaho. They are Gamlin lake, shepherd lake. They are near Sandpoint, ID. pretty well off the main roads with small game Dept. ramps and docks. They have a lot if lilly's around the edges and look pretty "bassey" to me and are no gas motor small lakes. Gotta love that part! Look  good for yak fishing, any info would be a big help....warf

Warf

• Perch

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
With the current snowpack, what time of year do you think you could get into lakes like this?  I love hiking in to small alpine lakes. Cool idea to get on them in your kayak.

Warf

• Perch
They are not alpine lakes, they are lowland lakes well off the beaten path. Roads should be open pretty much all year as there is a house here and there.

If I wanted to go yak fishing and be away from people and other boats those lakes would be pretty high up on my list....warf

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
Has anybody fished these lakes in north Idaho. They are Gamlin lake, shepherd lake. They are near Sandpoint, ID. pretty well off the main roads with small game Dept. ramps and docks. They have a lot if lilly's around the edges and look pretty "bassey" to me and are no gas motor small lakes. Gotta love that part! Look  good for yak fishing, any info would be a big help....warf

Fished both Gamlin and Shepherd. Had the lakes to ourselves. Caught Small and LM Bass. I would check for ice out before you go. Smaller lakes in that area open up later in general. Check North Idaho Kayak Anglers FB. We ( Mike Ferguson and Anthony Nixon) posted some pics there about june last year.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10207314680852849&set=pcb.224668527933025&type=3
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Warf

• Perch
Thanks much for the come back on the two lakes. Do you thing there are some larger largemouth to be had there?

Did you get any of the large perch that are rumored to be in those lakes?  I usually don't try for bass until the lakes hit over 50 degrees water temp. but perch don't seem to really care much about water temp,s....warf

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Thanks much for the come back on the two lakes. Do you thing there are some larger largemouth to be had there?

Did you get any of the large perch that are rumored to be in those lakes?  I usually don't try for bass until the lakes hit over 50 degrees water temp. but perch don't seem to really care much about water temp,s....warf

Only been there a couple of times but only caught bass. There were some Bluegills in the shallows. What I'm finding and hearing is the bite is slow due to sub 40 temps. As you say 50 deg will wake things up. Having said that, catching is better than fishing, fishing is better than sitting right?
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Warf

• Perch
Your right, anything on the water is a lot better that sitting in front of the TV or a keyboard!...lol

Checked a couple of local small lakes the other day for temp's and the water was a real cold 41 degrees. I find smallies start to move up into shallower water about 50 degrees, become active more like 55, largemouth pretty hard fishing in waters much under 55. We need more sunny days to warm the shallows, bet you can't tell I have cabin fever!.....warf

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
I know right. I gets to us all in different ways. I was even making soups and post photos to my facebook.

anything