Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 01:02:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Whiskey gulch 4/21-23  (Read 2035 times)

T_Bird

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Anyone planning to be there also? This will be my first time. Any special hole for halibut? I heard it's better than The Spit..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 05:15:57 PM by T_Bird »

Arctic Okie

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I'll planned on going to homer,but I'm down for that weekend.this will my first time as well.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Its too far out to know whether I will be going or not.  But having said that, Cook Inlet can be a very dangerous place.  At the very least it is not necessarily intuitive.  Its definitely a place where you probably shouldn't go out alone....then again, I do.  BUT i have made mistakes. 

The first thing to know is that High Book Tide at say Anchor Point is NOT the same as slack tide when you are a mile or three offshore. 

On April 21, the high tide at the beach is listed at: 10:46 am. BUT  3 miles or so offshore, the slack tide is at 2pm.  In fact on this day, the high tide time of 10:46 coincides with the fastest flood tide at 10:30am.  See the graphs below.   For us Kayakers, it means you can launch at almost book high tide and head off shore a mile or so and the current will stay take you in this particular case North.  But if you hang out too close to shore or don't pedal North while near shore, you won't get carried very far North, and when the tide does turn at 2pm, you may have to hustle into shore because you may overshoot the launch. 

Having said that, I prefer to drift South when I can.  But keep in mind all of the King Salmon Conservation zone areas.  the Anchor Point South boundary is pretty close to the launch.  you need to be a mile out by then.  At least I think that's how the regs read this year. 

I do know that if you are outside the restricted areas surrounding the river mouths, you can now catch a king and still stay within a mile of shore and catch you halibut. 

Too hard, too long to try and explain everything in a single post.  But here are the associated charts.  Know that the people on the bluffs make it a hobby to keep an eye on you with spotting scopes and they will call the troopers if they see you inside closed areas.  Know that the regulations did change for 2016 which sort of sucks since the last time i looked, they still had the 2016 regs up. 

I find the kings typically in 15 to 35 feet of water.  Halibut this time of year through mid June I find mainly 35 to 80 ft of water.  A great app on the smartphones is Navionics. on a PC try https://webapp.navionics.com/#boating@8&key=_tskJfyr%7D%5B  The tides and current don't work, but if you use the sonar charts (lower left corner icon) plus the distance tool (lower right) its pretty useful for planning. 

Current prediction list: Hover over the location name to get a map.  https://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/noaacurrents/Stations?g=693
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

T_Bird

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Thanks Kardinal_84! Missed your Seminar at Sportsman...dammmm..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 09:06:24 PM by T_Bird »

jmbx2ditto

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I will be in the area and will monitor this thread. My focus is looking at property as I'm focused on moving to the Peninsula in the next two years (hopefully earlier) but if it works out I'll bring a kayak or two that weekend.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Going to try and launch from WG around noon Sunday.  Maybe a tad earlier. Hoping to be off the water around 4pm.  Will be targeting halibut mainly. But we will drag king gear while transiting. Hopefully weather will hold.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Arctic Okie

• Krill
kardinal84 tomorrow or Sunday next weekend?

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Today now....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Arctic Okie

• Krill
Cool. Try to catch ya next time. Good luck out there.

Arctic Okie

• Krill
Anybody going this weekend?

Badger68

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
I am thinking about next Sat and/or Sunday depending on the weather and wind forecast closer to then.

anything