Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:51:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Big Lake Pike Tournament, May 13.  (Read 3659 times)

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
Thought I'd pass on this opportunity.  Separate kayak division.

Details:

Trout Unlimited South Central AK Chapter, Alaska Lakes Guide Service llc, Go Fish Yourself Custom Rods present a Northern Pike tournament with a mission to remove as many Northern Pike from Big Lake as possible with emphasis on the big spawning females to assist in saving the native trout, char, and salmon populations.

DATE: Saturday, May 13 at 6 AM - 3 PM
LAUNCH: Big Lake South State Recreational Site

$500 Garuanteed 1st Place Prize for most pike
Free Replica for largest Pike (Dependent upon 30 entries)

20 MAY 2017 will be the make up date if weather or ice conditions prevent a safe tournament

Rules:

•   All State regulations for fishing Big Lake for Northern Pike apply according to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game 2017 Southcentral Fishing Regulations
•   Any fish caught other than Northern Pike must be released immediately.
•   Use of throw nets, gill nets, or any other net used outside of the purpose for landing a fish caught in an angling manner are not authorized for this event
•   Boats, Kayaks, and Coolers will be inspected prior to departure to ensure no pike are present prior to the start of the tournament.
•   All vessels must launch and return to Big Lake South Recreation site (BLSRS) during the start and end times of the tournament. Trailering of boats is not authorized once boat check has been completed. Anglers may launch at another site and drive via water to BLSRS but will not return to their vehicles/trailers until after checking in at the end of the tournament. Failure to comply will result in disqualification.
•   Any angler caught possessing northern pike prior to the tournament will be disqualified
•   Off limits areas are only limited by private property, waterway access, state regulations, and additionally no boats may fish within 50yds of BLSRS
•   Tournament hours are from 7am to 3pm. All boats must be inside the no wake bouy and docked, tied off, shored, or anchored at BLSRS No Later Than 3pm.
•   Registration will occur from 5am to 630am. Rules and Sponsor recognition will occur from 630-645. Boats will start to line up in the water in order of registration and will be released once a boat check has occurred. It will not be a shotgun start. Kayaks will be released first.
•   Entry fee is $50 per person. Every person in the boat must be a paid entrant unless the person is 5 years old or younger. Every person must sign a liability waiver.
•   100% of all entry fees received will go towards angler prizes and conservation efforts of Trout Unlimited Southcentral AK chapter.
•   Every Pike caught will need to be videoed via phone, camera, or camcorder. Once a pike is caught and landed, the video will need to include the pike alive, the pike having the gills ripped and blood dropping, and the pike getting tagged. Angler will state his name, the time, and what number pike he has landed. Every fish will need to have its own 3-5 second video clip. PLAN ACCORDINGLY!!!!
•   All state boating regulations apply. Boaters must wear life jackets with kill switch attached anytime the main gas engine is in engaged. Kayakers must be in life jackets at all times.
•   No alcohol, drug, or marijuana use before, during, or immediately after the event until its conclusion.
•   $500 First place prize provided by Alaska Lakes Guide Service for most pike is guaranteed regardless of entries.
•   Northern Pike Mount for biggest Pike determined by length (tie breaker will be weight) sponsored by Naturally Wild Taxidermy is dependent upon a minimum of 30 entries for the event. In the event there are not 30 entries other prizes will be substituted.
•   Prize money and prizes will be determined by the amount entries received and sponsor donations and will not be fully determined until the day of the event. As prizes become available they will be listed on the event page.
•   Members of Trout Unlimited, Go Fish Yourself Custom Rods, Alaska Lakes Guide Service that participate in the event will have their boat checked by 3 randomly selected entrants not associated with organizing the event to ensure compliance.
•   Shore fishermen are restricted to the grounds of BLSRS and may not leave at any point of time. If so, the angler will be disqualified.
•   There will be three divisions for prizes: Boat (Most and Biggest), Kayak (Most and Biggest), Shore (Most and Biggest) all ties will be decided by weight. How far down in placement the prizes go will depend on number of entries and donations.
•   If any rules are violated, the entrant forfeits their entry fee, will be disqualified from the tournament, and depending on the violation will be reported to the proper authorities.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Wow, thanks AKFishOn for that great news announcement.  Do they have all this information posted on a web page somewhere? Can you give me the link or a contact person? Thnx. (I just broke through 11K followers this morning so I'll be able to spread the word among a lot of interested Alaskans.)

It's about time an organized eradication event was sponsored. THREE CHEERS!  I have been encouraging anglers to target BL pike for many years or eventually lose their burbot, char, rainbow and most importantly the sockeye fishery from Fish Creek that spawns in the lake. I can guarantee there are 40" pike in the lake hitting 20 pounds. ADFG test netting 6 or 7 years ago were capturing 36 inchers. And big pike grow several inches per year.

I'm glad to see the promoters are keeping a very tight handle on ensuring anglers don't bring in a winning ringer from another body of water. But they missed the boat on one rule. They failed to mention fish may only be taken on Rod & Reel. Currently spearing pike from the surface or below the surface is a legal method of "fishing" in the regs, so a speared pike would not be an illegal catch by the regs. They might want to plug that hole. :) 

Another "complication" is many action cameras like older GoPros and other brands do not have an LCD screen to replay the required video clip. So the organizers will need to provide a few laptops with card readers to play back footage from those non-screen cameras.

AK pike have usually completed spawning before ice out. They spawn under the ice up here. So there will be a missed opportunity for preventing millions of eggs in the lake this spring but that can't be helped due to the breakup schedule and Big Lake has over 30 inches of ice this year. The good news is females go on a feeding binge right after spawning to replace their reserves spent growing eggs and spawning.

A challenging point to bring up is there are a lot of weeds in Big Lake in the typical pike habitat areas although this early in the year the growth may be minimal compared to later in the summer. That will help if you are trolling rather than casting.

For kayakers I'd suggest trolling rather than still fishing and casting unless you are fishing a herring under a bobber. If trolling herring I'd suggest using a clear float an appropriate distance ahead of the bait on a flatline to keep it from dragging bottom or hitting the weeds and use a very slow speed. This was a deadly method a few summers ago for a power boat group that spent a week from the north launch bringing in pike every day up to 10 pounders. Unfortunately they filleted their catch and tossed all the carcasses with razor sharp teeth right in the middle of the picnic swimming hole the kids play in. DUMB! I was up there scouting pike spearing locations at the time.

I really hope I can make this event. Of all the organized activities for fishing competitions this one has the most potential for being extremely beneficial to the ecosystem and the future of the many fisheries in the lake. The BOF lowered the Fish Creek Dipnet Opening trigger point this January that will allow many more dipnet seasons on Fish Creek IF the sockeye run can maintain good health and numbers. So killing the pike is critical to the future of this popular fishery.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
Wow, thanks AKFishOn for that great news announcement.  Do they have all this information posted on a web page somewhere? Can you give me the link or a contact person? Thnx. (I just broke through 11K followers this morning so I'll be able to spread the word among a lot of interested Alaskans.)

KK, the main organizer is Jason Perrego, https://www.facebook.com/AlaskaLakesGuideServicellc/

He has posted the event on the Southcentral Alaska Fishing group on Facebook and others have shared it on more groups. 

Thanks for the tips, trolling is my favorite technique from the yak and with the pedal drive it's extremely easy.  I hadn't thought of trolling herring, forgot the regs change in the spring.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 03:57:36 PM by AKFishOn »

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
Thanks, I just sent a note to Jason. Hopefully it will be a good turnout. And if not, photos of the 10-20 pounders that should show up on the stringers will definitely get some interest generated for the next year's event.

My mouth is watering already. I hope there are a bunch of folks that won't want their pike. I'll take every 24 inch and above I can get. (Decent fillet size.)  After filming the ADFG Pike Fishing How To video I ended up with 50 pike from Alexander Lake I filleted up and it was all grabbed up in just 5 phone calls when I got back home. :)

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
Thanks, I just sent a note to Jason. Hopefully it will be a good turnout. And if not, photos of the 10-20 pounders that should show up on the stringers will definitely get some interest generated for the next year's event.

My mouth is watering already. I hope there are a bunch of folks that won't want their pike. I'll take every 24 inch and above I can get. (Decent fillet size.)  After filming the ADFG Pike Fishing How To video I ended up with 50 pike from Alexander Lake I filleted up and it was all grabbed up in just 5 phone calls when I got back home. :)

Should be a fun day.  I've not eaten pike since last time I was in Minnesota.  Bet they're way better up here coming from cleaner waters.  Big Lake should be a nice break-in lake for my wife getting used to her new yak before I get her out on the salt. 

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
Should be a fun day.  I've not eaten pike since last time I was in Minnesota.  Bet they're way better up here coming from cleaner waters.  Big Lake should be a nice break-in lake for my wife getting used to her new yak before I get her out on the salt.

Just got a note from Jason. WOOHOO! Spearing above & below the water and Archery Bow fishing are all going to be ALLOWED!! Essentially any legal harvest methods in the regulations will be OK.  I'm bringing my dive gear and spear gun! And maybe my 10 foot pole spear too.

Jason said last year after the spawn there were fish brought in that were pushing 50 inches. Talking over 25 pounds.  But the irony of it is the little hammerhandles are the ones preying on the trout and salmon fry and not those monsters. But you have to cut the head off the snake somewhere to start.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ugh... this is the same day as the Anchor Point Calcutta derby. 

I really do want to try and diversify but the Anchor Point Derby is something I'd like to keep trying.   

Will the ice be out by then?  lol.   
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

AKFISHRIPPER

• Lingcod
  • Slaying fish and taking names
  • AlaskaKayakAnglers/ A.K.A
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
Ugh... this is the same day as the Anchor Point Calcutta derby. 

I really do want to try and diversify but the Anchor Point Derby is something I'd like to keep trying.   

Will the ice be out by then?  lol.

I'm with you Rudy...I'd love to kill some pike but rather fish for Kings!!!

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Would love to try for pike. However, I can almost hear a royal decree to fish the Calcutta. The kings are calling.

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I'd love to get another tournament under my belt but won't be able to fish either Anchor Point or Big Lake as I volenteered to help instruct a trapping couse AFTA is providing that day! So much to do and so few weekends during the open water fishing season!

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
So much to do and so few weekends during the open water fishing season!

That's why they invented Homer winter feeder kings!  :)  And there is always the Homer Elks king derby typically the 1st weekend of October but with the new regs moving the no recording kings start date to September 1st it will be interesting to see if the Elks decide to move the event into September which would interfere with hunting season for many anglers.   El Niño cycles are now only 3-4 years apart so we are almost half way to the next North Pacific big blob and shirt sleeve winters again.  Although well sponsored and organized fishing competitions have their draw with the big bucks and prizes, the kayak community events like the Barbie Rod and the annual Classic provide additional opportunities for dueling with your fellow kayakers. And don't forget the Ship Creek Slammin' Salmon Derby for kings which is free to enter and first place is a prize between $10,000 and $20,000.  Last year it was silver ingots, but I've seen a complete jet boat, motor, and trailer one year and a 16' cataraft complete with rowing frame, oars and a trailer. How can you pass that up? I'm going to make it a point to spend a couple days in Anchorage with the Outback for that this summer.  Ah, so little time, so many opportunities!

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
I'm going to make it a point to spend a couple days in Anchorage with the Outback for that this summer.  Ah, so little time, so many opportunities!

I hit Ship in the yak a few times last season, didn't land any kings, but it was sure nice staying out of the mud.  I thought the shore anglers might give me trouble, but were actually quite agreeable and other than a few WTH looks all went well. 

AK Trapper

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I'm up for ship creek on a kayak! I used to fish it for "physical fitness" in the mornings when the tide was right, while stationed at Fort Rich...did quite well there back then...no luck a few years ago during a visit but there were fish in the water so I can't complain....

AKfishOn is right, nice to fish it out of the mudd...

NoobHookz

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Is anyone on here going to this? I'm seriously considering the drive up from Kenai. Don't have the drysuit to hit the ocean for the other tourney but I've got pike gear! I've never fished big lake so I could really use a fishing buddy and/or any advice about where the pike are at. I've read burnt point is a good spot. What will they be biting on this time of year?

Side note - are there any pike left in Kenai area?

Thanks all and keep your lines tight!

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
Is anyone on here going to this? I'm seriously considering the drive up from Kenai. Don't have the drysuit to hit the ocean for the other tourney but I've got pike gear! I've never fished big lake so I could really use a fishing buddy and/or any advice about where the pike are at. I've read burnt point is a good spot. What will they be biting on this time of year?

Side note - are there any pike left in Kenai area?

Thanks all and keep your lines tight!

My wife and I plan on going.  From what I've been able to learn, the north east side between the creeks is best. I've never caught a pike there, in fact, I've only fished it from the kayak once.  I plan to troll spoons, plugs and cut plug herring.  Ice fishing out there, Big Lake is my unicorn, never caught anything (trout/char) over 16 inches.  I've got no intel on Kenai pike.

anything