Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:27:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: First meat run of the year. WG 4/30  (Read 2066 times)

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
I'll keep it short and sweet...launched at WG this morning around 1130. Saw a few power boats trolling. I went to about 60' of water, released one small halibut on the way out. Once tide turned I slow trolled back to the launch and caught a 23 lb butt. Tried for a short while for kings but I was in a hurry to get back. Spoke with "pole bender", he said they were slaying the kings in front of WG today. Feels great to get back out. And halibut cheeks sautéed in butter/garlic/lemon was pretty sweet too.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

erickblim

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Jun 2014
Thats awesome, nice job and thanks for the report

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Woo Hoo!  This is the most exciting post so far this year.

Thank you.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Indeed. Its gotta be killin' Rudy.  ;D

Thanks for the good news.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Lol.  It is killing me! But its awesome to hear the great reports!!  Keep them coming!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

CS

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Got to WG at about yesterday afternoon and watched a fella beach his homemade wooden sit-inside yak and then lay out a nice king beside his boat. Weighed in at just under 30#. He'd been trolling large herring behind a dodger and a 5oz weight in 30-40' of water.

I put my rig together and shoved off at about 6. Marked a few large schools of bait on my way out and didn't have my line in the water for 20 min when I pulled up an 18 pounder. Happy to say my first king ever! Had a gut full of sand lances. Switched over to halibut gear and bounced the bottom for about another hour with no luck.

I'm gonna go back out this morning once the fog blows off. Might try throwing a sabiki down if I come across another bait ball.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:07:02 AM by CS »
Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm all night. Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Oh man. I'm not sure it was such a good idea checking this before heading to work. Kings in the water, me to the office. Aargh!

Good luck.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ugh...now the whole week looks to be blown out in Lower Cook Inlet.  ARGHHHH...I am at a point where I can't accumulate more PTO (paid time off) hours as I will lose them.  Maybe Friday.

That is one of the most overlooked "value" of kayak fishing.  I used to take a lot of weekdays off because I didn't want to battle the crowds.  The kayak has freed me from that and when you add a bit age, the marathon 3 or 4 day fishing in a row gets harder and harder so I am typically satisfied fishing just the weekends without having to burn PTO days. 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Got to WG at about yesterday afternoon and watched a fella beach his homemade wooden sit-inside yak and then lay out a nice king beside his boat. Weighed in at just under 30#. He'd been trolling large herring behind a dodger and a 5oz weight in 30-40' of water.

I put my rig together and shoved off at about 6. Marked a few large schools of bait on my way out and didn't have my line in the water for 20 min when I pulled up an 18 pounder. Happy to say my first king ever! Had a gut full of sand lances. Switched over to halibut gear and bounced the bottom for about another hour with no luck.

I'm gonna go back out this morning once the fog blows off. Might try throwing a sabiki down if I come across another bait ball.

Congratulations!  Boy, you broke a lot of cherries last night. 1st king, 1st king in a kayak, 1st king at WG, 1st king on the Peninsula. Your "reputation" is shot. You don't qualify for marrying into royalty now. (Virgins only) lol  But ironically you did nail the "king."

I'll tell ya CS, if you hit anything on those sabikis when you spot a dark blob on the FF, you will open up an entirely brand new fishery for not only kayakers but any boater that has the gear and spots a bait ball. I've got a dozen packs of sabikis I am hoping to use in Whittier but if it can be done in CI that will be icing on the cake. It would be interesting to see whether they are needlefish, hooligan, or herring. I guess I need to add a little more tackle to my box now.

Thanks for the intel on stomach contents. Not what I would have expected in their bellies at this time.

The wind blew last night in Soldotna and overnight a number of lakes went ice free. Longmere this morning is 50% open water with an open launch ramp now.

Ugh...now the whole week looks to be blown out in Lower Cook Inlet.  ARGHHHH...I am at a point where I can't accumulate more PTO (paid time off) hours as I will lose them.  Maybe Friday.

Rudy, Since you decided to dabble in AOTY again this year, I suspect your local lakes probably opened up like down here. So there is that "freshwater diversity" you were hoping to expand into for satisfying some of that itch. I'm waiting on a few Swanson River lakes to open up for a big arctic char to scratch off the list.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Nice job on the king CS! Wish I would have stuck around a bit longer. Gotta love May fishing.

Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

Lawngjohn

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Nice man! Me and gravesjacob were out late Saturday and early Sunday. Most successful trip I've had in a while. Didn't try for kings but we can see that they are there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

CS

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Nice man! Me and gravesjacob were out late Saturday and early Sunday. Most successful trip I've had in a while. Didn't try for kings but we can see that they are there.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You guys were the ones I saw packing up just as I was pulling in with the rv. Wasn't sure who it was til I saw your video. Great job fellas! Guess I need to rig up the GoPro for my next trip.

Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm all night. Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

ZeeHawk

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Sauber is my co-pilot.
  • Date Registered: Sep 2006
Ah, the smell of a fresh caught halibut. Nice fish!
2010 Angler Of The Year
2008 Moutcha Bay Pro - Winner
Jackson kayaks, Kokatat, Daiwa, Werner Paddles, Orion, RinseKit, Kayak Academy

anything