Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:52:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Anchor Point Calcutta King Salmon Tournament - Changes  (Read 6714 times)

Lawngjohn

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jan 2016
Wish I could make it. Gonna go out sunday and Monday for some more halibut 🤑

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
If that marine forecast holds true it might be as Rudy said and need to be postponed to Sunday when at least at this time it appears to die down and be pretty tame.  Its really a great opportunity at just $25 per kayak with such potential reward even if you don't get in the auction.  But the Saturday shore break in the late afternoon on an incoming tide with SW wind could be a major headache for landings. Might be worth sitting and filming the flock coming back to the roost.  ;D  Could be some viral videos there!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
I'm sitting here at Whiskey Gulch looking at white caps and lots of wind. I've seen 3 guys come off the water today in their kayaks, and not one of them had a single bite! I'm seriously thinking about heading back home. I always have things there that need to be getting done, but fishing ALWAYS takes precedence over responsibilities!...except when the wind is whipping and the water is full of whitecaps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Latest forecast at 3:38 pm has not improved. I'm gonna stay in Kenai tomorrow with plans to fish Sunday regardless of derby status. Good luck everyone! Maybe see some of you Sunday.

Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

Ryumeister

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Good advice KK! 

I am running t-spoons and Kwikfish for the first few hours of the derby in 15 to 30 ft of water until I can't stand it any longer and then I will switch over to a feeder set up.

With the reports rolling in, I give it a 75% chance they won't be able to launch out of Anchor Pt given its so dang shallow.  But we all have been there when its flat calm in the morning.  It's totally possible they launch a bunch of boats early.  But still given that its building now, I give it only a 25% chance and I think I am being generous with that number.

Doh...Ryu was using my computer...lol.

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I rode my bike from Soldotna to Anchor Point (to register) and the wind was not fun. They were definitely talking about the possibility of postponing. They said they would make the call by 6, since that is when most boats wanted to launch.

I still plan on driving down in the morning. I learned a long time ago that you miss a lot of great fishing if you cancel trips based on the weather and forecast from the night before.

Strategy wise, well I'm going to try to catch a fish. Peddling against the current should slow the drift enough to keep us in legal zone for a long time.  I'm going straight to brined herring with triangle flasher. I'll probably go ahead and run the downrigger. That's the plan. It's always nice to have a plan so you have something to break ;)

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Your are an animal easyyakker.  Biked to the mtg?  Let me just declare you the winner.  Lol.

4.3 and 4.6 ft from the SW AT 3AM AND 3:30 AM.  I agree with your assessment but ill wait another two more data pounts....snooze button...ugh. im tired.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Oooo...down to 3.6ft.  Argh. The call should be interesting....one more data point....

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Just got the call.  Canceled for today.  Make the call at 530am tomorrow for sunday

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

CS

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Just got a call from the boat launch. 4 footers at the beach. They're calling it til tomorrow.

Looking pretty dicey from my window.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 06:15:19 AM by CS »
Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm all night. Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

easyyakker

• Lingcod
Kudos for boat launch calling registered boats. I was just about to get in the truck and head down the road. Saved me time and gas.

Beautiful start to the morning here in Soldotna.

On the bright side, the weather forecasts for tomorrow look pretty good.

CS

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm thinking about packing my gear up and heading to Kasilof or Nikishka beach for the day and coming back to WG this evening if it looks like the weather is gonna take a turn for the better. Is anyone else interested and/or does anyone have any good or bad info on fishing those areas. I'd always thought there's gotta be something worthwhile swimming around those rigs out of Nikishka, but don't know how far away they'd want you to stay.

Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm all night. Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

SwansonSilver

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Jun 2015
Don't mean to hijack the thread, but I'm thinking about packing my gear up and heading to Kasilof or Nikishka beach for the day and coming back to WG this evening if it looks like the weather is gonna take a turn for the better. Is anyone else interested and/or does anyone have any good or bad info on fishing those areas. I'd always thought there's gotta be something worthwhile swimming around those rigs out of Nikishka, but don't know how far away they'd want you to stay.

I haven't done it but I know surf casters target halibut near OSK dock. Take nikishka beach road to the very end and take a left onto the beach. Also Herberg beach access in Nikiski has had surf casters catching halibut as well. The oil rigs are way the hell out there, I wouldn't venture that far on a good weather day let alone today. Have fun. The mouth of the Kenai river could produce some fish too. Starry flounder and dogfish are pretty abundant there.
Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga except I get to kill something.
-Ron Swanson

easyyakker

• Lingcod
Your are an animal easyyakker.  Biked to the mtg?  Let me just declare you the winner.  Lol.

Just to be clear, I like non-traditional propulsion. My boat has peddles. My bike is a Triumph Tiger 800XC. No peddle bikes for this guy.

Funny thing. When I went in to register the guy at the table said, "Let me guess, you're a kayaker." I asked, "Now how did you know that." Then I noticed he was looking at my riding gear which a light grey with high visibility, reflective accents. He thought I was wearing my drysuit. On reflection I realize the function of the two suits is the same. Protect me from the elements. Keep me warm. Make me easy to see.   (Thank goodness the drysuit doesn't need high impact armor.)

See you in the morning.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:10:04 AM by easyyakker »

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Let me get your blood pumping. For Reel.

WARNING: This may not be suitable viewing for all audiences and those faint of heart.  :)

HANG ON TO THOSE RODS TIGHTLY! There are monsters prowling the VERY SHALLOW waters of Cook Inlet at Anchor Point. So the poly fleet has some seasonal opportunities while the herring and hooligan are running to nail a huge halibut not far from shore.

Shane had two folks fishing yesterday in rough seas in the same spot he landed that 140 pounder last week in 37 feet of water at high slack on an 8 oz jig.  Yesterday, in the same location only at low slack in 27 feet of water his client nailed this 171 pounder (69") on an 8 oz scampi jig with a one hour battle. Just think how long the fight would be from a kayak....long in time and distance! Better call for the mothership. lol

That should stimulate all the kayakers for what their own potential is as the big ones are prowling the shallows for a meal right now.  Imagine the Nantucket Sleigh Ride you would get tying into this bruiser. I wouldn't attempt to land a fish like this from a kayak without my gun. I don't have a death wish!  A couple of fat kings in the pic too. Fishing up by Anchor Point in the one king zone out on the shelf.

Oh just in. First TWO kings counted in the Anchor River weir on Thursday. Fish are starting to stage now.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~