Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:58:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Anchor Point Calcutta King Salmon Tournament - Changes  (Read 6712 times)

katinalaska

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Apr 2016
Thanks for the report, KK! I did leave WG yesterday, but am planning to go back tonight. Hopefully, the weather will improve for tomorrow's AP Calcutta. I always look forward to your suggestions and report. I plan to follow your suggestion to fish north against the tide in the morning looking for one of the migrating kings.....just like Ryu said, "until I can't stand it anymore" and have to go to the herring in search of a feeder. My dream day would be to catch my king in the morning, then go in search of a barn door. Unfortunately, I am working (something I usually try to avoid) Monday's and Wednesday's for the next 6 weeks. Otherwise I would be planted at Whiskey Gulch for awhile! Oh well, there's always Thursday- Sunday. At my age I can't fish for more than 2 days in a row anyway. I'm working on improving that!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Well Kat I just committed the funds for my Kodiak Adventure last night so its game on. Now I need to start hanging out at WG for my pre-adventure training. So I'm hoping to start meeting up with members of the clan pretty soon.

With these monster halibut working closer to shore for the baitfish at this time, fish the size of that barn door frequently target migrating salmon too. So during this phase of the season where giant fish can be found in the kiddie pool when you get that takedown you really never know what took the bait until it becomes apparent in the ensuing fight.  Worst nightmare though is a six foot Skate. They would drag you to Seldovia.

A working buddy back in the mid 80's was fishing 20 feet of water with his wife south of Deep Creek in mid August on a charter with one of the legends of Ninilchik. Terry hooked and landed a 175 pound halibut. His wife hooked up with a 225 pounder. All in 20 feet of water. The biggest fish had six dungeness crab, 2 late run sockeye and one silver in its belly.

Its really kinda scary what is truly out there waiting for YOU! Gulp.

Starting to RAIN in Soldotna at Noon now.  Good luck in the derby. Keep that radio battery charged up!
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Those big fish are always a possibility in the shallow water. The "old-timer" guides spent many days fishing 30 foot water south of Deep Creek. Bill (Will) Bailey on the Snow Goose fished his shallow spot (known to us at the time as "The Trailer Hole" off and on all summer and often had the best fish in town. Chihuly's Charters (brothers Mike and Mark) had a day in 20 to 30 feet of water off the tower just south of the Deep Creek launch with 3 fish over 200 pounds. (200, 225, and 305) Granted, that was back in 1987, but the chances are still there. I started fishing with/for Chihuly's back in 1991. We spent a number of windy days hunkered up in 30 feet of water off the falls or gravel pit. Some days were slow (or dead), others were as good or better than days we were able to make it to our "favored" spots.

BTW - If you like reading true Alaskan stories I highly recommend Alaska: Fish and Fire by Mike Chihuly. He just released the book this year and it is an entertaining read. He talks about his hunting, fishing and trapping adventures as a youth, his days working as a fisheries biologist, serving on the Alaska Board of Fish, chartering the waters of the Cook Inlet, and working with the Ninilchik Volunteer Fire Department. I've known Mike for 30 years (I was a swimming teacher and had Mike's daughters in my classes) and didn't know what an interesting life he had led. The book is available on Amazon in print and Kindle versions.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Those big fish are always a possibility in the shallow water. The "old-timer" guides spent many days fishing 30 foot water south of Deep Creek. Bill (Will) Bailey on the Snow Goose fished his shallow spot (known to us at the time as "The Trailer Hole" off and on all summer and often had the best fish in town. Chihuly's Charters (brothers Mike and Mark) had a day in 20 to 30 feet of water off the tower just south of the Deep Creek launch with 3 fish over 200 pounds. (200, 225, and 305) Granted, that was back in 1987, but the chances are still there.

Ah, yes, I hooked up with Copper King Charters back in 1995 and filmed several trips out with Will and got to know who he is and his extraordinary fishing "powers." I don't know who is truly the king of the hill between him and Chihuly. Will could smell fish, I swear. We were out on the 28th of April, frost on the deck when we launched and fished the Falls for an hour with not a net in the air from the entire fleet of 20some boats and a number of beach casters out there up to their armpits with surf rods. He said "I know where they are" and we took off, traveling so far there was not a boat in sight in any direction. He drops to idle and says if they aren't here in 20' they will be out at the 40' line. One circle and we headed out to the 40, and a rod popped every pass through the area, even a double. The F&G creel survey guy wanted to check our catch when we hauled out. Didn't believe we had limited the boat. The entire fleet was already on the beach and with only 2 fish total. We had four on the boat and a couple of 40 pounders at that.

The last time I saw Will I was working on the natural gas line extension and drove past his place. The Snow Goose was in the circle drive near his fish rack and he was swinging the "crane" around when I stopped to say Howdy. I asked how he did. He said he only had 3 people and we stopped at one fish apiece. He proceeded to swing three halibut out of the boat onto his deck for the fish rack with the smallest going 150. The clients didn't want a second fish that day! He said he could have sunk the boat that day with 100-200 pounders they were so thick. Great memories. (I really do think that these AK halibut in Cook Inlet run in SIZE MOBS, and you can be in tons of 50 pounders all day or 100+ pounders all day without a single small fish. Might be like a wolf pack!)

Thanks for mentioning Chihuly's book. I'll track it down. When my neighbor was guiding on the Kenai River he used Chihuly for all his clients' halibut trips or Will as a backup. That is how I met Will. Dynamic Duo those two!!  I'm glad one of them has decided to document that piece of Alaskan history. Wish Bailey would do the same if he is still alive. Although my life isn't as glamorous I intend to put things down in print before punching the clock for the last time just as a legacy to say "Hey I was here and did make a difference."

BTW, Terry and Margie's fish were on the Snow Goose. That is how I learned about those mid August monsters right on the beach. I'll be looking for one this year for sure. And in fact I'm going to try and rig up an overhead rack (or maybe two side saddle racks) on my 6 wheeler to haul the kayak(s) several miles down the beach to some of those fabled fishing grounds. And as far as the "chances still being there" YES indeed with the charter regs restricting only one big fish per angler now there will be a significant number of barn doors evading the charter hooks and presenting opportunities for all the other anglers. It just might be getting better for us privates.  ;D

Looking forward to meeting you one of these days easyyakker! (Heck all this talk of monster fish I think I'll head to 3 Bears and buy me a box of 22 Magnums they have in stock for my halibut pistol!! Just got that new cylinder yesterday!  ;D )
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

easyyakker

• Lingcod
Will was indeed a great fisherman. The last time I saw him was several years ago when we both ended up going clam digging on a charter. His former clients invited him along. The captain invited me to fill the sixth seat. With all the time we spent in the inlet, it was the first time for both of us to dig at Polly Creek.

A fun trip Will and I did a couple times was take our boats and clients into Halibut Cove Lagoon to fish the terminal king fishery there. I don't know if that fishery is still happening, but it would sure be a lot of fun fishing from kayaks.

katinalaska

• Perch
Are treble hooks allowed for the kings in the Inlet or do I need to remove them from my KwikFish? I do know to remove the one hook in the middle. I use that spot as a place to tie on a slice of bait for scent.... is that allowed here? I left my regs book at home.

katinalaska

• Perch
Just heard from Shane that they're allowed.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Ugh. K bay buoy is still at 4.3ft. It needs to come down some....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Might be ok at anchor pt....hard to say.

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

CS

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Just got the call. Cancelled.

Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm all night. Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

CS

• Perch
Any thoughts on whether or not this is gonna smooth out at WG this morning? I'm wondering if it's worth waiting around to fish or if it'd be better in Homer.

Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm all night. Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
Yup.  Ugh.  But you cant control the weather.  Bummer.  I bet it lays down later but i already promised my daughter if they canceled we would head back early. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
The winds are such that i think WG will be better than Homer. 

guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

easyyakker

• Lingcod
Sometimes things work out. For some reason my alarm didn't go off this morning. I woke up and realized it was light out already. Jumped up and starting getting ready before I saw the message light on my phone. Bottom line, I got to  sleep in till 5:39. 

Sorry we didn't all get to see each other at the beach. Hopefully we'll get to make up for the bad weather next weekend.

CS

• Perch
Already see one pb off to the south here, so gotta be safe to launch somewhere.

I've gotta take Katie to the airport tonight, but if the weather holds out as predicted I'll be down here for a few more days if anyone else is like minded.