Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:38:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Whittier this weekend?  (Read 2283 times)

CS

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
Unfortunately I'm gonna miss the Anchor Point derby as I need to stay a bit closer to home this weekend. Hopefully I'll be able to drive down to WG for a few days early next week if the weather cooperates.

I'm thinking about taking the lady for an overnighter to Whittier and maybe trying for a few of those rockfish around the killiwake (sp?) rookery. Just wondering if anyone else has any info they'd be willing to share about fishing Whittier this early in the season. We'd likely stay within a few miles of the harbor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm all night. Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Check your chart along the south shoreline right at 3 miles from the ferry terminal for Bush Banks. A couple of very interesting structures there which could be a magnet for pelagics and non-pelagics alike. I haven't tried that yet but have the waypoints plugged in for both structures once I get there.

Take your sabiki rigs in case the fish processor is pumping macerated fish waste through the outfall line over by the ferry dock. Many folks cast from the jetty and do very well on nice size herring. (But DON'T get the boat within their casting range or they'll start chewing your arse and dropping their sinker right next to your gunnel! I watched a PB and a kayak make that mistake two summers ago!) But the processor needs fish to have this happen and it may be too early. The Copper River District will open for the season at 7:00 am on Thursday, May 18 for a 12-hour commercial fishing period.  And there is no comm herring season in PWS this year so that is out too.   On top of that, the herring all over SC are in their spawning run so there may not be any fish present even with  food waste available. However you may encounter them along the shoreline on the way to the 'bank' if they are staging for spawning.

Please do a double take on Portage Lake when you go by for me. I want to get the kayak in that lake and head up to the glacier before the tour boat starts running and get some photos and video if the ice is out.

You were close.....Kittiwake.  ;)
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

CS

• Perch
Check your chart along the south shoreline right at 3 miles from the ferry terminal for Bush Banks. A couple of very interesting structures there which could be a magnet for pelagics and non-pelagics alike. I haven't tried that yet but have the waypoints plugged in for both structures once I get there.

Take your sabiki rigs in case the fish processor is pumping macerated fish waste through the outfall line over by the ferry dock. Many folks cast from the jetty and do very well on nice size herring. (But DON'T get the boat within their casting range or they'll start chewing your arse and dropping their sinker right next to your gunnel! I watched a PB and a kayak make that mistake two summers ago!) But the processor needs fish to have this happen and it may be too early. The Copper River District will open for the season at 7:00 am on Thursday, May 18 for a 12-hour commercial fishing period.  And there is no comm herring season in PWS this year so that is out too.   On top of that, the herring all over SC are in their spawning run so there may not be any fish present even with  food waste available. However you may encounter them along the shoreline on the way to the 'bank' if they are staging for spawning.

Please do a double take on Portage Lake when you go by for me. I want to get the kayak in that lake and head up to the glacier before the tour boat starts running and get some photos and video if the ice is out.

You were close.....Kittiwake.  ;)

Thanks for the info, KK. I'd only fished there a couple days last July and only caught a couple dusky rockfish around the rookery. Ran into a deaf fella on a yak and had a decent notebook conversation for a bit in which he told me he'd lost a couple of decent sized butts right at the boat. He didn't have anything in the way of landing/ dispatching gear. Might be a bit early for them, but we'll give it a shot nonetheless. Wish I had a few collapsible shrimp pots to test out while I was there. Maybe next time.

Build a man a fire and he'll stay warm all night. Set a man on fire and he'll stay warm for the rest of his life.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
Thanks for the info, KK. I'd only fished there a couple days last July and only caught a couple dusky rockfish around the rookery. Ran into a deaf fella on a yak and had a decent notebook conversation for a bit in which he told me he'd lost a couple of decent sized butts right at the boat. He didn't have anything in the way of landing/ dispatching gear. Might be a bit early for them, but we'll give it a shot nonetheless. Wish I had a few collapsible shrimp pots to test out while I was there. Maybe next time.

Shane caught that 140 pounder the other day in 37 feet of water at high tide and it swallowed the jig into its throat. So.... "it might be early".... is behind us.  ;D  The big'uns are arriving. Trustworthy has round KUFA shrimp pots on sale for $49 when I was there a couple days ago. All stainless steel frame and would fit on the trunk of an Outback. They were nesting stackable with a loose bottom net to allow nesting as there must have been about a dozen stacked up. Slightly cone shape. When you come down to WG next week stop and check them out if there are any left. I wasn't that enthused about the webbing but the stainless framing was worth the price even if you replace the web in the future. Normally selling for $79.  I'm guessing looking at my tape measure the bottom ring was maybe 26" diameter. Thereabouts.  I'll snap a pic of them when I go to town in the morning and pick up my new PFD at the PO and send you the pic. I'll get the measurements too.

If you are considering hand pulling if you have the Scotty style base mount look into the Folbe pulley puller that drops right into the base and is much better pulling over a roller than dragging the line against your hull.  I think they are better than the long arm Scotty pulley puller because they are more compact and stouter. I'll be using mine pulling crab rings over in Kodiak, but hey dungies are only 30-50 feet down.

Stop by 20 Mile and scoop up a few hooligan to take along as bait. I'm sure the rockies won't object to the offering.

CS

• Perch
Good looking setup. I'm definitely gonna need a pulley system for hand lining 400+ feet. I'd also considered getting one of the old Penn rod/reel combos I see pop up every so often on Craigslist dirt cheap and loading with 100 or 200# braid, but I haven't quite worked out the ergonomics of that yet, or if/how I could load and link multiple shots of line on one reel.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Good looking setup. I'm definitely gonna need a pulley system for hand lining 400+ feet. I'd also considered getting one of the old Penn rod/reel combos I see pop up every so often on Craigslist dirt cheap and loading with 100 or 200# braid, but I haven't quite worked out the ergonomics of that yet, or if/how I could load and link multiple shots of line on one reel.

I used a downrigger system to pull pots.  You can get multiple shots of line on the downrigger easy enough by using the spro micro swivels and small clips.  Might be harder through a reel.  I know folks that have used a reel and you better make sure its super low geared and you are a fit olympian to use them with any consistency. 

I really need to figure Whittier out.  I have NEVER had any success there.  Yah a silver here and there.  12 inch rockfish that are actually great eats when cooked whole so you get more than a bite per fillet.  No more consistent herring because the processor there filed bankruptcy and I don't think any one else has filled that gap. 

I have heard good stories about deep water feeder king fishing near the harbor.  Also in June, I have heard of chums being cuaght in the area. 

I don't enjoy Whittier mainly due to the expense vs reward scenario.  Money to go through the tunnel.  Money to Park.  Money to launch a kayak.  I have much better luck in Seward and unless you hit the tunnel exactly right, the time isn't a whole lot different.  Cost is probably the same.  Fishing is MUCH better in Seward at least as of now for me.  I may try to change that by trying whittier more this year in my effort for diversification. 
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
I really need to figure Whittier out.  I have NEVER had any success there.  Yah a silver here and there.  12 inch rockfish that are actually great eats when cooked whole so you get more than a bite per fillet.  No more consistent herring because the processor there filed bankruptcy and I don't think any one else has filled that gap.
Rudy, I believe there may be a second waste outfall line that discharges far offshore near the Cruise Ship Dock. On several occasions now I have seen large numbers of seagulls (50+) circling and working a patch of ground in the dock vicinity that indicates something going on there, perhaps like the ferry terminal area. I don't know if there is another processor back on the other side of the harbor. But on my last visit there 2 summers ago waiting on the ferry to Valdez I watched a charter boat and a private boat intentionally cruise and drift that area where the birds were working. Didn't have my binocs to see if they were mooching herring. But something is there.  And there were numerous shrimp pot buoys all over that upper end of the fjord in 500 feet of water. I'm sure they were locals' pots so they know something is right there in town.  But then again, maybe its the Sewage & Waste Water Treatment Plant outfall line! LOL (I'm only providing this "insider information" to the kayak crowd as I don't intend to post it to the general public for the benefit of the alternate user group.  ;)  So mums the word.)  At least in this spot there are no bank fishermen able to reach out to this location so boats have it all to themselves for whatever its worth.

ADFG stocks a king run there at the head of the bay but returns have been impacted by the mystery mortality issue just like the wild stocks so it has been a lackluster provider in recent years. On the other hand, the aquaculture association is now releasing their coho smolt in the harbor so that the return is swarming around the jetties and along town. You can even fish in the harbor for them but no snagging in the harbor. That's later in the summer though.

I don't enjoy Whittier mainly due to the expense vs reward scenario.  Money to go through the tunnel.  Money to Park.  Money to launch a kayak.  I have much better luck in Seward and unless you hit the tunnel exactly right, the time isn't a whole lot different.  Cost is probably the same.  Fishing is MUCH better in Seward at least as of now for me.  I may try to change that by trying whittier more this year in my effort for diversification.
I agree, Whittier is nickel/diming you to death and I'm sure it discourages many folks from taking that side trip that is closer to Anchorage. There is the beach at the head of the bay with outhouses and a nice gravel shoreline that I saw RVs and tents camping there. Don't know if that is an established operation or not. I researched it some time back and believe it is state land!!!  Even if there was a camping fee......parking, launching, overnighting all covered for a fair cost. Whittier's website is very disappointing when trying to find information.  See my photos far in the background.

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
The beach at the head of the bay is a pay campground with restrooms; dry, no hookups. This is where I plan to camp and launch from for my first attempt at pulling shrimp.  I always see buoys out there...gotta be a reason.  Thanks for the tip on Bush Bank KK, looks very interesting and "fishy" on the charts at least.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
AKFishOn is that campground named Smitty's Cove where the divers go out from? Seems I ran across a bit of info on the Internet but its now elusive. Might have been in the Whittier CC website photo gallery as I recall. Launching from that beach will add a bit less than another mile to the banks.  Do you know what they charge per night?  I have family arriving on a cruise ship in early August and thought I might spend a night or two with the kayak waiting on their ship to come in. LOL And then follow them to Anchorage to get their RV.

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
AKFishOn is that campground named Smitty's Cove where the divers go out from? Seems I ran across a bit of info on the Internet but its now elusive. Might have been in the Whittier CC website photo gallery as I recall. Launching from that beach will add a bit less than another mile to the banks.  Do you know what they charge per night?  I have family arriving on a cruise ship in early August and thought I might spend a night or two with the kayak waiting on their ship to come in. LOL And then follow them to Anchorage to get their RV.

No Sir, I believe Smitty's Cove is past the old fish processing facility.  Campground is at the head of the bay to the left of the tunnel exit.  Can't remember the name of the campground.  I think it is $10 to $15/night just like most of the dry state run campgrounds and you have to pay at the electronic kiosk at the boat launch.  Sorry, stopped there last year after a dinner cruise, but didn't commit details to memory.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Akfishin

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Mar 2012
I have shrimped out of Whittier using the rod and reel method. Put 3 450-500' shots of 100' braid on the reel.  Worked pretty darn well.  The pulling of the pots was a good amount of effort. 

anything