Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:47:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: DIY butter knife jigs. Let's see yours.  (Read 5953 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I love making these, and they just plain work!

Goodwill sourced solid handle stainless steel butter knives. 

The hooks are 6/0 sticky sharp octopus hooks tied up with 60lb sturgeon leader, knotted, super glued and covered with heat shrink for added awesomeness.

I had to make my own "solid" rings, as I couldn't source them when I needed them. That and they are stupid expensive for what they are. Instead, I just chucked up a 3/8" OD bolt in my hand drill, with a small hole drilled through next to the head.  Slipped a length of 1/16" stainless steel TIG rod to the hole in the bolt and spun the entire length of TIG rod tightly around the bolt.  After this, I just used nippers and cut off rings one at a time from what was essentially a spring.  Using silver solder, I joined the joints closed. And with that, Bob's your uncle! 

I found that drilling the stainless can be a pain cold, so I would heat the area up cherry red with a LP torch and drill while it was still hot.  Cut like butter!  Went back with a slightly larger bit and cleaned up each hole.

They range from 1.5oz to 2.5oz and have a really nice drop through the water.  Kinda of shoot in random directions, or flutter a bit depending on the handle shape.

The first time using this set, I had double assist hooks mounted.  This was a bad idea after landing a feisty rock fish that danced violently as I attempted to remove the one hook in his mouth. The other hook was then nicely planted into the tip of a finger and jerked through by the antics of the dancing fish.  To restrain the damn fish, I ended up trying to just grab him, but gut quilled in the palm with one of his dorsal spines. 

So for now, I just run a single assist hook. 
« Last Edit: May 20, 2017, 11:21:23 AM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I made a bunch of knife jigs a few years back. Donated about half of them to the ORC drawing. I think Ling Banger got them. Later, I added stinger hooks to the top. That helped. Lost most of them now. Got to make some more.

Craig - Nice. Based on your pics, I'm gonna upgrade the next batch w/ better eyes & no bottom hook. Maybe I won't lose as many.  :P

Used lure tape & a razor knife for shaping, then coated the lure with polymer coating I use when tying shrimp flies.

THEFILTHYOAR

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Apr 2013
 I use 1/2 solid steel rod. Cut at 60 plus degrees on both ends. Then drill. A hole on each end ro accept a swivel and split ring. Add a hootchie and . you habe a 70 cent 4 oz jig

THEFILTHYOAR

• Rockfish
Knives werent heavy enough for me.. To much volume not enough weight

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
Knives werent heavy enough for me.. To much volume not enough weight

These are best used in 50 FOW or less.  I do plan to make some SS rod jig rigs as you described above.
Just need to rummage through the cut offs at my local metal supply shop. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

THEFILTHYOAR

• Rockfish
home depot ! like 5 bucks for 8 feet or 6 feet. cut with a grinder, cleaned up on the sander. I just paint it white ,

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Those look awesome Craig nice work. I'd JIG that!
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
THANKS INSAYN for this post. Maybe others have already seen this "trick" but its a new one on me and ingenious. One of those "Why didn't I think of that" moments.  And agreed due to the light weight its more suitable for the shallower depths but hey, there are fish there too. This is going to supplement my leadhead collection I'll be taking on a two week trip this summer. As they say, If you ain't losing gear you aren't fishing in the right spot.  Great jigs for light tackle too. Heading to town so will swing by the thrift shop and then Sportsmans for a variety of tape.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
home depot ! like 5 bucks for 8 feet or 6 feet. cut with a grinder, cleaned up on the sander. I just paint it white ,

Pictures?  This sounds like a cool looking jig as well.

Thanks tom rains i aspiration I will be raiding the local goodwill for old butter knives haha.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

I take it you are using mild steel, not stainless steel.  I can get 1/2" solid mild steel pretty cheap at any of my local metal shops by the pound.
Stainless can be a bit more, but worth the ability to polish and resist rust in storage.

FYI, buying your metal is best purchased at a metal supply shop, rather than a big box store.

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Not mine. Google find while looking at other stuff.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Could you drill a hole about 1/3rd of the way down and add another stinger or would that get tangled up with the top one? Perhaps a treble hook just out of reach?

Hmmmmm...

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
Not mine. Google find while looking at other stuff.
Interesting. I'm going to try some of those. Easier than cutting & grinding the blade. Leaving the blade on will add to the weight a little & may add to the flutter.

yaktastic

• A cowboy in a kayak? I never was normal.
  • Salmon
  • shut up and let me fish.
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Could you drill a hole about 1/3rd of the way down and add another stinger or would that get tangled up with the top one? Perhaps a treble hook just out of reach?

Hmmmmm...

Fred "True" Trujillo

Sky is the limit on diy lures but I think your asking for trouble.more hooks = more snags.the theory I have heard about assist hooks is predatory fish hit the head to top half of the bait mostly in a attempt to eat the bait head first and that free swinging hooks is just looking for a soft place to call home.there is no doubt that your hook up ratio goes up and your snag ups go down over trebles and siwash hooks on the tail.i have never lost a lure with a assist hook on the coast but have lost my share of jigheads, just food for thought.
4th place 2017 TBKD Rockfish.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Hmmmmm...

Fred "True" Trujillo

"True", I personally refrain from using treble hooks in the ocean.  Just a nice sticky sharp single tipped hook for me.

Treble hooks are not as forgiving in the rocks, nor your hand or face.