Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:14:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by PNW
[Today at 08:37:24 PM]

[Today at 07:54:10 PM]

[Today at 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 07:22:33 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: DIY butter knife jigs. Let's see yours.  (Read 6007 times)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Cutting stainless steel blades can be time consuming, and difficult to boot with a hack saw or even a bandsaw. 

My method of choice is a plasma cutter, and then use a air tool die grinder to clean off the dross from the cut, shape the end and clean it up real quick.  Then over to the buffing wheel with compound to get out most of the grinding marks and put a polish over the entire handle for a good shine under water. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
I wish I had that stuff in my shop... Some day. :)  I do like the idea of leaving them longer as well.  I'm gonna try my hand at a few of these when I get a spare moment.  It's like fly tying in metal shop.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Third time's the charm.  I think the forum hated my pics.  Opened a photobucket, try three. 

I don't have any spare knives but I did have some extra wrenches.  First attempt.  I'll get/make some rings and split rings shortly.

Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
The wrench looks awesome and should make some nice racket when pounded on the rocks below. 

Did you happen to weigh it by chance?

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
That one is 3.9 oz.  I've got a few others in different sizes.  I'm thinking about adding a couple small sockets or old keys to it somewhere out of reach of the hook for added noise and flash.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
This is an awesome idea and one I would probably spend the better part of a gloomy Sunday afternoon building 10 of these only to continue using my swim baits like I always do. I really need to branch out sometimes.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
This is an awesome idea and one I would probably spend the better part of a gloomy Sunday afternoon building 10 of these only to continue using my swim baits like I always do. I really need to branch out sometimes.

One way to force yourself to try new tackle, is to tie that tackle on your rod and connect the hook to somewhere near your reel before you leave home.

So you will at least get some use out of it before switching over to something else.

Matt M

• Sturgeon

One way to force yourself to try new tackle, is to tie that tackle on your rod and connect the hook to somewhere near your reel before you leave home.

So you will at least get some use out of it before switching over to something else.

Definitely! I did that with my last trip (for bass) out and it paid off well learning a new technique that worked well. I am a firm believer in "if it 'aint broke don't fix it" but sometimes I get stuck doing the same thing. Will have to try this the next time.
-Matt

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Hey Matt, what kind of swim baits are you using?  I'd like to give it a try.  I have no doubt these diy lures will work after last time out and getting all my fish on similar store bought lures.  For me half the fun of fishing is seeing what else works, especially if it's a fly I tied myself or in this case a shiny hunk of metal with a hook.  Give it a shot, you might be surprised. :)

Matt M

• Sturgeon
Hey Matt, what kind of swim baits are you using?  I'd like to give it a try.  I have no doubt these diy lures will work after last time out and getting all my fish on similar store bought lures.  For me half the fun of fishing is seeing what else works, especially if it's a fly I tied myself or in this case a shiny hunk of metal with a hook.  Give it a shot, you might be surprised. :)

Without digressing from the main thread too much I typically use Lancer Jigs and have used Big Hammer swimbaits as well. Both have worked well, but I am partial to Lancer Jigs as they've been fishy for me personally.
-Matt

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
I was just thinking that instead of using tape and such to decorate my knife/wrench jigs that I could just put on the hook and slide on a swimbait for a combo effect. :)

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
I was just thinking that instead of using tape and such to decorate my knife/wrench jigs that I could just put on the hook and slide on a swimbait for a combo effect. :)
I've done that with my chewed up swimbaits. Doesn't seem to make much difference, but it looks kind of cool.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Got a chance to make a few more yesterday.  The tape isn't as sticky as I'd like so I used some of the UV epoxy that I covered the eyes with to seal some of them.  Also, sharpie rubs off really easily so I used black nail polish on some.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Got a chance to make a few more yesterday.  The tape isn't as sticky as I'd like so I used some of the UV epoxy that I covered the eyes with to seal some of them.  Also, sharpie rubs off really easily so I used black nail polish on some.
Now how are you going to fix the car now?  >:D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

anything