Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:10:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Bonneville Bass Bonanza 2017  (Read 5810 times)

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
My search-fu may be AWOL but I've seen no posting here for the 2017 Bonneville Bass Bonanza (H.O.W. fundraiser) scheduled June 3.

(I heard about it while at BCS II yesterday).

https://www.kayakshed.com/bonneville-bass-bonanza-bass-tournament-2017-fund-raiser/

The blog post says entry deadline is May 29.

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

bsteves

• Fish Nerd
  • Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Better fishing through science
  • Date Registered: Feb 2007
https://www.tourneyx.com/app/tourney/bonneville-bass-bonanza

It's being run this year as part of the Kayak Bass Fishing series here in Oregon.  That means slightly different ruled and the use of the TourneyX website.   It also means potentially more participation from non-native kayak bass anglers.

Brian
“People say nothing is impossible, but I do nothing every day.”

― A.A. Milne, Winnie-the-Pooh

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
This event should be interesting this year. The water flows coming out of the dams will limit the fishable areas for us, and the higher than normal water has changed things up a bit also. Still really looking forward to it!

The tourney-x website makes for much easier judging and a pretty cool way to verify and oogle over everyone else's catches. It also means you can watch the leader board throughout the day if you're competing or not. Further, it means you get your identifier code the night before the event, so no mailing of an identifier necessary like in previous years.

A few things to note for those that haven't done a KBF or OKBF event. The biggest one is in regards to the measuring devices and how you  measure the fish. For KBF (and this event) you MUST use a Hawgtrough brand measuring board, the rapala or other brands won't work. You can purchase these normally at Cabelas (when they have them) or online as well, if you're fishing with a buddy you can often share one if they're up for it.... The other is to make sure you check the "Photo Standards" portion of the rules https://www.kayakbassfishing.com/kbf-rules-standards/ You have to ensure the mouth is fully closed and the fishes tail is not tilted, further KBF goes off of the shortest portion of the end of the tail, meaning if one tip of the tail measures 18.75 and the other only goes just past 18.5 then that fish is scored 18.5.   

-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
A few things to note for those that haven't done a KBF or OKBF event. The biggest one is in regards to the measuring devices and how you  measure the fish. For KBF (and this event) you MUST use a Hawgtrough brand measuring board, the rapala or other brands won't work. You can purchase these normally at Cabelas (when they have them) or online as well, if you're fishing with a buddy you can often share one if they're up for it.... The other is to make sure you check the "Photo Standards" portion of the rules https://www.kayakbassfishing.com/kbf-rules-standards/ You have to ensure the mouth is fully closed and the fishes tail is not tilted, further KBF goes off of the shortest portion of the end of the tail, meaning if one tip of the tail measures 18.75 and the other only goes just past 18.5 then that fish is scored 18.5.

Matt, my understanding is that this is only true if you are participating in it as an OKBF event. In other words, again just my understanding, is that for the non-OKBF people the rules are the same as they've always been. This is significant because it goes beyond just the measuring board and photo standards.

I'll try to ping Aaron on this but this is what I was told a few months ago.

I'm trying to be positive about TourneyX but the biggest positive I see in it so far is that it makes it easier for the tourney director.

Matt M

• Sturgeon

Matt, my understanding is that this is only true if you are participating in it as an OKBF event. In other words, again just my understanding, is that for the non-OKBF people the rules are the same as they've always been. This is significant because it goes beyond just the measuring board and photo standards.

I'll try to ping Aaron on this but this is what I was told a few months ago.

I'm trying to be positive about TourneyX but the biggest positive I see in it so far is that it makes it easier for the tourney director.

Well from the main Tourney-x tournament page it says they are going with the KBF rules, which the hawg trough, mouth open, etc is contained within. Definitely please do confirm. As I heard it from Aaron he's counting it for OKBF AOTY points (for those OKBF members) but the judging and everything else is the same.

Edit: I mostly agree on the tourney-x piece. I am annoyed that they charge $5 per entry for what is essentially a photo upload site. It does give a public record of the catches though which removes any questioning of the catches and how they were judged. For instance last year with the BBB we simply emailed or texted the photos in, we had no way of seeing others catches unless they posted them online after the fact. I personally don't really like seeing others catches during the tourney day, but some really do.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 10:22:00 AM by Matt M »
-Matt

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Well I stand corrected; I talked to Aaron and Matt is right. It is OKBF/KBF rules.

To reiterate Matt's point, here are a few things that will be different from previous years (this list isn't meant to be exhaustive so start reading up!):

• Must use approved measuring device (see KBF rules)
  • Fish pictures must conform to stricter KBF standard (see KBF rules)
  • No bait (worms) - I didn't use worms in competition for the record, but it wasn't forbidden at this tourney before now
  • Must use TourneyX site for catches

http://www.kayakbassfishing.com/kbf-rules-standards/

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Wow, thanks for the post.  I had no idea it was coming up that soon.  I've never been out on the water there; any special considerations on the kayaking side itself (anchors or anything like that)?  Now I'll have to find a good way to mount my hawg trough.  I haven't taken it out on the yak yet.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I would definitely recommend NOT anchoring; there's not really any reason to for bass.

As far as location you can launch anywhere in the Bonneville pool so you should be able to find some good water regardless of the river height.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
Wow, thanks for the post.  I had no idea it was coming up that soon.  I've never been out on the water there; any special considerations on the kayaking side itself (anchors or anything like that)?  Now I'll have to find a good way to mount my hawg trough.  I haven't taken it out on the yak yet.

With all the water being let out of the dams right now I would definitely not anchor in the main portion of the river. A buddy and I were fishing it Saturday and even large boats seemed to have trouble getting anchored up. Smallmouth like water movement, but are inherently lazy and will look for areas where the flow is a bit slower. The gorge can also be quite windy as well, so keep that in mind when selecting a place to fish.
-Matt

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Good, that's sort of what I figured (finding slower water, no anchors).  I've never been on the Columbia but the water always looks like it's moving pretty good when I drive near it.  What are the bounds of the Bonneville pool?  Google isn't cooperating with my searching but the maps look like maybe Cascade Locks upstream towards Hood River in the wider area of the river?  I'm not worried about the fishing side of things, its the getting to and from spots on the bigger water that's got me full of questions.  I had assumed from reading the post on the kayak shed site that it was an everyone putting in at hood river but it sounds like that's just where you meet up at the end.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
What are the bounds of the Bonneville pool?

Sorry, I wasn't intentionally being vague!  ;D If it is like previous years then you can fish any part of the Columbia River between Bonneville Dam and The Dalles Dam. And you can put in on either side of the river, so there are many possible launching places. HOW usually sets up at Mayer State Park, which isn't a bad spot and has a protected launch.

Yeah, there's a lot of big water out there. I give the same advice to everyone: Try to locate rock piles with a depth gradient not too far from deeper water. I'll admit that unless I get out prefishing soon this year seems a little daunting to me; my usual spots will either be difficult to get to or likely not productive due to the different temps/depths. That said, there's still a lot of weather between now and June 3 so it may end up about like usual after all.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
Thanks!  Scanning the shoreline looks like there's a lot of places to put in.  I assume the general tactic is to paddle upstream first.  I need to get out and pre-paddle the area.

Incidentally, I found a list of boat ramps on the Columbia if anyone is interested:
https://data.oregon.gov/Recreation/Columbia-River-Boat-Ramps/368p-69z5/data

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
I am really not looking forward to using TourneyX and the KBF rules this year...... That being said, I really hope I don't F up interring a fish this year because I'm going anyways.

If I don't see you earlier, I'll see you all at the awards.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Thanks!  Scanning the shoreline looks like there's a lot of places to put in.  I assume the general tactic is to paddle upstream first.  I need to get out and pre-paddle the area.

Incidentally, I found a list of boat ramps on the Columbia if anyone is interested:
https://data.oregon.gov/Recreation/Columbia-River-Boat-Ramps/368p-69z5/data

Thanks for the link! As far as upstream/downstream it can depend on a lot of factors. Sometimes the wind is more of a problem than the current, and you usually won't know until you show up on game day.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
I am really not looking forward to using TourneyX and the KBF rules this year...... That being said, I really hope I don't F up interring a fish this year because I'm going anyways.

If I don't see you earlier, I'll see you all at the awards.

Looking forward to seeing you!

anything