Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:18:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:14:17 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: New Kayaker on Whidbey Island  (Read 1031 times)

magic4g

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Hello all I'm military and just got stationed here from Hawaii. I'm originally from the south and have done most of my kayak fishing only in Texas, Florida, and Hawaii so these fish here are all new to me.

To add to that, I'm hoping there's someone else on here close to my location that can partner up for some fishing trips as I have no one I know that is into it.

Right now I have a Hobie adventure island that is mostly used for offshore and hoping to get a newer model Hobie Revolution in the near future.

If anybody has any info to help me get started around here I'm all ears. Otherwise I'm just gonna be fishing lakes until I find a partner for offshore and halibut fishing.

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Welcome! Halibut is open on the first, but after that you might need to wait until next year. Lingcod is open until the 15th, and Salmon should be opening up in about a month, to month and a half.

I moved here from FL as well, and have found that the techniques, bait, etc. are all quite different. If you have the extra cash, I would suggest a guide. Otherwise, keep an eye out for posts when folks are headed out.

I would like to bring up that the water here is very cold, if you don't have a paddling drysuit, definitely look into one. I have the kokatat anglers hydrus 3l, and really like it. For a boat I have a revo 13, and am really happy with that as well.

Islander

• Perch
  • yaknfish
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Welcome  to Whidbey,

I've mostly fished fresh water myself, but have a ton of experience in the salt.  Restrictive regulations have kept me from fishing the local saltwater, but I plan on at least doing some crabbing in Crescent Harbor later this year.  I think it opens on July 1st, and you don't need to pedal far to be in good crabbing water.  I'm retired, so most of my fishing is on work days to avoid the crowds.  I mostly use my Outback in the salt, but enjoy my new Trident 11 also.  It's kind of nice to get back into paddling, but for long distances, you can't beat the Hobie drive.

Someone else mentioned the cold water, and it really is cold, but you also need to be aware of the strong tides.  We get 9 kt. tides through Deception Pass.  I'm only good for 5 or 6 max with my outback, and can't maintain that for too long.

I'm not as focused on Kayak fishing as many of the folks on this site are, but it is one of many of my hobbies that I enjoy in retirement.

Good luck, and be careful out there.  Maybe we can get out together sometime this summer.

Gary
2017 Trident 11
2012 Hobie Mirage Outback
O.K. Scrambler XT

anything