Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:21:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

[Today at 12:21:09 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Depoe Bay tomorrow (5/28) *report*  (Read 2075 times)

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Headed to Depoe Bay tomorrow AM for some salty therapy after a long work week.  Targets will be lings and rockfish, and maybe sole.  But  judging from the huge tide swing, I imagine the drift will be a bit too fast for targeting sole.  I'd like to explore the southern reef, but may head north depending on conditions at launch time.  Any NWKAers headed out there tomorrow?
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 09:56:08 AM by Clayman »
aMayesing Bros.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I will be a a bit north at of and deport is my back up plan. I will keep you posted. Good luck out there.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Clayman

• Salmon
I will be a a bit north at of and deport is my back up plan. I will keep you posted. Good luck out there.
Right on, good luck to you as well.  Targeting bottomfish?
aMayesing Bros.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Yep lost a large long there last week that I want revenge on. And crab

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Cosmo

• Salmon
  • Integrity-It's What You Do When No One's Looking
  • DADventurerNW
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
Hey guys.  I'm heading down that way tomorrow as well.  Looking at the Pacific City Webcam, the surf looks small and calm.  Lots of cars parked on the beach this afternoon at PC, but I don't plan to be on the water past 11am.  Back up plan is Depoe Bay.  I plan to launch pretty early.
Cosmo
2 Hobie Mirage Outbacks 2014

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Did you make it out? I know you caught some nice ones the last couple times you went to Depo. I'm anxious to see how you did today!

Clayman

• Salmon
Did you make it out? I know you caught some nice ones the last couple times you went to Depo. I'm anxious to see how you did today!

Didn't launch from Depoe due to bar restrictions, so five minutes north at Fogarty Creek.  Caught a lot of fish!  Nothing real big, but came away with some nice eater-size lings and a mess of rockfish.  I'll post up some pics tomorrow.  Overall it was a great day to explore the Government Point reef.
aMayesing Bros.

Clayman

• Salmon
A little more detail on yesterday:

Like I mentioned, Depoe had bar restrictions so it was a no-go.  I hung around the ramp for a while, chatting with the CG safety checkers and a couple other kayakers.  The bar restrictions would be updated at 0800, but I had low hopes for the restrictions being lifted since the monstrous -2 foot low tide was after 0900.  That's when one of the kayakers mentioned Fogarty Beach.  He didn't want to deal with dragging his PA over the sand there, but it sounded like a perfect fit for my Revo and beach wheels.  I drove five minutes north to the beach and ran into Monkeyfist prepping for launch.  Thanks for waiting for me man!  Despite the extremely low tide, there was a channel to shoot through that only had occasional breaking waves and we made it into open water with no issues.

Fogarty Creek puts you right onto the Government Point reef.  Unfortunately, it's the same reef that gets pummeled by most of the charter and private boats out of Depoe Bay.  There was quite a crowd out there!  I mooched herring for the first hour looking for my take-home lings, and had a hard time getting away from the black rockfish.  I had some really nice 18-19 inch blacks munching my big Newport herring.  I was almost out of herring by the time I went back-to-back on a pair of 26 and 28 inch lings.  Given that I didn't want to pound bottom with lures for hours to scrape up my lings, I took these two lings and went on to play with the rockfish on my light rod.  A 2-ounce jigging spoon was all I needed to fish everywhere from 30 to over 100 feet deep along the reef, with minimal current and no wind.  It was so nice out there that I stayed until past 1500, just wanting to explore the reef and see what I could find.

Species landed included lingcod, kelp greenling, cabezon, canary RF, quillback RF, copper RF, and a ton of blacks.  I had to move to 100 feet to find the canaries/quillback/coppers, anything shallower was Black City.  So no monsters landed, but it was the perfect day for exploring and marking waypoints for future trips.
aMayesing Bros.

• Date Registered: Feb 2009
Whatever squid you were pokin' in that last photo needs a quick  trip to the clinic...

Great photos!

Fred "True" Trujillo
"This above all: to thine own self, be true, and it must follow, as the day the night, thou canst not then be false to any man."

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
good job clayman! nice pics of variety fish. outta here in a minute for depoe to hopfeully git some of that at least one day this week.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 10:36:56 AM by dampainter »

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Great report! What is that thing!? I would have had no clue what that thing was and definitely not put it on my lap! Glad you did though!

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
I'm with Casey on this one.  Would NOT have put that on my lap.  It looks like a brain eater from a sci fi movie not a real fish. :)  Nice pics!
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Great pics - thanks!

MonkeyFist

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Good to fish with you Clayman.
I went back today with Junehogs.
Lots of whales out there today, substitute the swells we had yesterday for a choppy north wind.
Limited on rock fish again and this time got both lings.  Launched at 7, done by noon.

If you didn't fish the coast this weekend, this was the window we've all been waiting for.

Clayman

• Salmon
Hey Monkeyfist, did you launch from Fogarty again?  Nice work on the limits!
aMayesing Bros.

anything