Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:31:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Surf landing  (Read 2057 times)

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I've heard some recent stories of losing mirage drives while landing in the surf. Is it a good idea to leave your drive locked in (with the fins feathered flat against the hull) and land that way?

• WS Commander 120, OK Trident 13, Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Jan 2011
I can tell you what I have learned from my few experiences, but Others with more "surf zone" experience than me will surely chip in here.

Yes. You can do that, but you will want to use that little bungee with a hook to attach to one of your pedals to keep it retracted there. That is the way I like to launch going out so that I can start to pedal as well as paddle when the water is deep enough. Coming in, I prefer to pull the drive out but make sure it is leashed in of course.
Better to keep ones mouth shut and presumed a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
<Proverbs>

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I haven't had to land in real surf, Barb, but I have a short, strong, coiled leash and always pull the drive.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I leave my drive in, and bungee attached to one leg of the pedal system.  I adjusted the tension on the bungee to be able to pedal against it as well as have enough return force to pull the fins tight against the hull when my feet leave the pedals.  The rudder is pulled up on deck.

Also, when I come in through a sporty surf, I come in backwards.  I use the paddle to propel me backwards towards the beach.  When a possible breaking wave is coming towards me, I quickly use the pedals to get me moving back towards the incoming wave.  Once I'm through or over that wave, I immediately use the paddle to try and stay on top of the backside of that wave and head for the beach.

One thing to note, I don't give the Mirage drive full strokes in the surf, as I can't always tell how deep the water is below me.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
Here's a reason to pull up your rudder and your leashed Mirage Drive before paddling in through surf:  If you are pedaling towards shore and get surfed towards shore by a wave, your Mirage Drive fins are likely to make the nose of your kayak veer suddenly towards the right or the left.  (This is why surfboards have fins at their stern, rather than a third of the way back from their bow).  Then your fins and your rudder will catch water sideways, and the wave will instantly dump your kayak over towards shore.  This mishap can be seen in many entertaining YouTube videos.  If you get caught by a wave and start getting surfed towards shore, you can reduce the chances of getting dumped over by instantly pushing one pedal forward, to pull your fins up against the bottom of your kayak, so your kayak can be pushed sideways towards shore by the pile of the wave.  However, that is a difficult reflex to develop.  The natural tendency is to brace equally against the pedals with both feet, which leaves the fins sticking straight down below your kayak, ready to dump you over.

If you pull up your rudder and your Mirage Drive before paddling in through surf, and you get surfed towards shore by a wave, you can either (a) rudder with your paddle to control the direction of your surf, and throw in a couple of quick paddle strokes if necessary to stay on the face of the wave, (b) let your kayak turn to the left or the right, brace with your paddle into the pile, and let the wave push you sideways towards shore, or (c) backpaddle up over the top of the wave, and then resume paddling towards shore behind the wave..

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I watch the waves and pedal in on the back of one. I hop out in 3 feet of water and grab the rear handle. I pull my drive and raise the rudder then let the waves help me walk it in. It has worked for me every time but two.  Those were both stupid errors on my part such as not hopping out fast enough, and not realizing that 100 yards offshore at the mouth of the salmon river the water is only 2 feet deep. That one surprised me but made for an entertaining video.

JamesC

• Lingcod
  • 2012 Hobie Revo 13 - Gray
  • Date Registered: Apr 2012
I'm by no means an expert, but I do what Craig said and it has worked well for me.  Jumping out in 2-3 feet of water works well, and walking it in. Always, always, have your drive leashed. I have my drive leashed with a strap and secured with a carabiner anytime I go out, river, lake or ocean. I dont want to have to replace that. I do know others that go in backwards, and one guy that tried to "surf" in once.
All fishermen are liars except you and me
(and sometimes I wonder about you).
-Anonymous

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Just tie everything down and have fun, expect to roll and if you don't your golden. I don't pull my drive till I land and it's in the water before I board. But then again I have a Propel not a Hobie.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I always pull my drive, leash it down, pull the rudder, and paddle in.  I prefer to ride the back in but surfing it in, letting it turn you then bracing and coming in sideways is also good unless its a shore dump in which case I come in backward and time the exit between waves.  Probably easier in my Revo than an outback but i've never tried in an outback.

anything