Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:06:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Paddle grip  (Read 2767 times)

nwjimwa

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Does anyone tape their paddles for grip purposes? I was thinking about adding overgrip tape to improve grip as well as, and primarily, helping to deaden the sound if I accidentally hit the hull or go to set the paddle down.
This is the product I'm referring to, used for tennis grips
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overgrip

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Nope.  I was taught to keep a loose grip on the paddle, and I always set it down across my lap.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I agree with Tinker and have paddles sea kayaks over 40 miles in a day several times. If you are holding your paddle tight you'll be inviting tired hands (at least I would be).  I keep my hands pretty loose and actually open them while alternately pushing and pulling.  Any type of friction tape would not work for me at all.  I'm not sure it would "deaden" any sound (I rarely hit the kayak while paddling) and like tinker, simply lay the paddle across my lap while it's also on a leash.

Hydrospider

I use tape on the majority of my paddles and it has no influence on grip strength.
My brain decides how tight my hand grip is.
The tape does help with fast and accurate hand placement because fishing takes the paddle out of my hands often.
It is also helpful when using extended paddle (pawlata) maneuvers and you need to transition to different positions then back to neutral quickly. (shaft awareness)
Not everyone paddles only when conditions are soft and when in bigger hydrology, don't be afraid to put the big grip on the paddle and go to work. The tape will help you keep the paddle in your hands.

Grip tape on the paddle is also recommended by "EJ" in multiple educational resources.
4 time world champion EJ might be a better moniker when looking for paddling advice.

When you want to set your paddle down on the boat for whatever reasons, and still keep your stealth, Conceal or Hydro-turf on the rails helps deaden the noise and keep the paddle where you left it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:16:51 PM by Hydrospider »

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
I would reccomend shrink tube grip.  It wont leave bumps like tape does and is super easy and cheap.  I have used it on my rods for years and it makes them look nice and protects them.  When they are worn i cut it off and reshrink.  One meter of grip is only 8 dollars.  1 meter does plenty of fishing poles and will do fine for a paddle.  The grips look nicer than tape and are easy to use.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Good point about finding and maintaining hand position.  Since my paddles are two-piece, I've gotten used to glancing at that joint and if it's centered, my hands are in the right position.

But that often means I have to make adjustments where tape or tubing would let me feel when I'm properly positioned, but it wouldn't change how I hold the paddle.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 03:06:51 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

• Visits from AZ
  • Date Registered: Mar 2014
I feather in a head wind. The paddle should slide on the loose hand.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 07:28:01 PM by DesertPaddler (DK) »
2010 OK Scupper Pro
2015 Wilderness Thresher 140

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I would reccomend shrink tube grip.  It wont leave bumps like tape does and is super easy and cheap.  I have used it on my rods for years and it makes them look nice and protects them.  When they are worn i cut it off and reshrink.  One meter of grip is only 8 dollars.  1 meter does plenty of fishing poles and will do fine for a paddle.  The grips look nicer than tape and are easy to use.
Shrink grip only works on breakdown paddles.  It won't fit over the blades of one-piece paddles.

I know a couple of whitewater paddlers who tape a piece of rubber to the grip area of their paddles to improve their grip and provide a very definite index point for the angle of their paddle blades.  I've never felt any need for anything like that.

The best way, but not the cheapest way, to improve your paddle control is to buy a bent shaft paddle.  In addition to providing a neutral and comfortable wrist position with no sideways twisting of your hand, a bent shaft paddle provides very positive paddle blade angle control.  Once you try a bent shaft paddle, you may never use a straight shaft paddle again.  But they are expensive!

nwjimwa

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Thanks for all the input everyone, just throwing out some ideas and looking for other options. Tape or other products mentioned aren't necessarily so you can give the paddle a death grip but as others have mentioned provide a tactile advantage. Cold metal is not my favorite thing to hold on to for long periods so that's another reason I'd personally add something to my paddles

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

polepole

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • NorthWest Kayak Anglers
  • Date Registered: Apr 2006
Once you try a bent shaft paddle, you may never use a straight shaft paddle again.  But they are expensive!

Meh.  BTDT.  Bent wasn't for me, so now I'm back to straight.

-Allen

anything