Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:52:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 05:45:28 PM]

[Today at 04:54:47 PM]

[Today at 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: First salmon from kayak, or ever!!  (Read 2213 times)

danr

• Perch
  • 2017 hobie outback
  • Date Registered: Nov 2016
Im so stocked, went to brookings yesterday  and trolled for salmon, launched about 8:30 am, while i was preparing  to launch, a couple of older gentlemen was laughing at me, one even told me i needed to go get my big boy boat an big boy net, wasnt going to be able to land a salmon with what i had, i told he may be right but i was goin to try none the less, after  acouple of hours, seen about a dozen or so fish landed, an twice that lost i got my first hook up, fought it for bout 5 min, pulling me all over the inside of the jetty an out before it tossed the hook, 5 minutes  later another hook up ,only to give it to the resident seal, half hour later, hooked up again, fought it for what felt like forever,  get it close to the boat and it would get a burst of energy an take 40 ft of line, get it close an off it would go again, finally  got it close an looked at it an my net, well it was atight fit but i wasnt goin to loose this one, got it in the boat an all of brookings heard me a whooping, 301/2 inches at 143/4 lbs

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Awesome report danr and it sounds like an even more awesome day!

Gotta say, my eyes popped out of my head when I read the dimensions.  150.5 inch salmon weighing 35.5 lbs!!!    I must have looked at one too many data sets today.  ;)

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

danr

• Perch
  • 2017 hobie outback
pics

danr

• Perch
  • 2017 hobie outback
finally got the pics to load, an mark, thanks, i can onle imagine how big a fight a 150 incher would be, bring it onnn

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Danr, everyone who has caught their first salmon of size at least grinned and likely laughed out loud reading your report.  You don't forget that pumping action, repeated runs and silent wishes to PLEEEEEASE come to the net, PLEEEEASE.  Usually there's a big armhug around the fish and a breif moment of caveman thoughts.
Nice fish and great pics.  Thanks for the grins.

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Great looking fish, congrats!!
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
That's awesome! Sounds like there's a hot bite in Brookings! Sucks that it's 5 hours from me. I'd love to give it a go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skidlybo

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2014
Would've been nice if those older 'gentlemen' were around to see you haul that bad boy out of your kayak when you pulled out.  Nice fish dude.

Hooper

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
Congrats!! I felt as if I was along for the ride.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
That's the way!!  Nicely done.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
excellent, nice job. 

goofy boat launch comments are the best, here at our big triple launch in Florence, I'll be leaving on my rigged up i11s and hear something like "well that's nice, you ever catch any fish from that thing?"...my standard reply now is "not always but I get lucky now and then.."... ;D

2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Nothing quite like the first time. You'll be chasing that high forever. Nicely done!

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
excellent, nice job. 

goofy boat launch comments are the best, here at our big triple launch in Florence, I'll be leaving on my rigged up i11s and hear something like "well that's nice, you ever catch any fish from that thing?"...my standard reply now is "not always but I get lucky now and then.."... ;D

One of the funniest moments I've had fishing was with danr on Labor Day weekend on the Rogue. We were fishing the jetty hole and it was so busy you could literally walk across the river deck to deck. I hooked a hot salmon and after several runs got it boatside and in the net. As soon as I pulled it on deck a big cheer came from up on top of the jetty. I realized at that moment that Danr and I had a cheering section up there!  First time I've had that happen :). Nobody cheered for the power  boat guys when they caught fish. Suck it boat launch goofs!

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Beautiful Chinook Danr congrats! It's a great feeling knowing you've got it dialed in & if you just keep at it your time is coming. Way to stay calm & carry on.
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

speak3asy

• Krill
  • Date Registered: May 2017