Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:24:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Glory Fish  (Read 3383 times)

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Everyone’s catching fish! With the changing of season, cooler temperatures and an abundance of salmonids in the rivers, this is one of my favorite times of year. This week was time to switch gears and head east to chase sunshine & the growing numbers of fish in the upper river. I could barely sleep with all the excitement & anticipation of screaming reels and bloodshed.
The morning bite started slow for most but it wasn’t long before F’n Minnowmagnet’s report came over the radio that he had just hooked into his largest Chinook ever. Shortly after my rod buries and I get a short teaser of a fight before it spits my hooks. I stay calm and troll on, keeping it dialed in while distracting myself with the beauty of the Gorge that surrounds me. Over the next few hours I seemed to have a fish on almost every pass, only to have them pop off several minutes into the fight. Sometimes you can do everything right & they still manage to get away.
It’s feeling really fishy now & I watch MM’s rod double over a& everyone’s jaw drop as he limits in front of all the PBs. “It’s just a snag!” screamed out one them. Right…  ;).
Moments later I’m into a long battle with my largest Chinook to date. I knew this one was hooked really well & I took my time playing her through her six or seven screaming runs. I had her right at the side of the boat, net still holstered, when she turned for another thumb burner run that eventually snapped my 40lb leader.  At this point my patience was weening. With a cooler full of chrome Minnowmag throws me some words of encouragement & I pick my gear up to continue my pursuit. With a bite like this I know there will be redemption.
I continued to lose fish before finally netting a modest King. At this point I was 2 for 12 on fish, releasing a jack, & as much as I love watching my rod go off it was time to fill a limit & bonk my glory fish. Well ol' glory came quickly & I found myself chasing a heavy hitter up & down the river bank. She hit like a freight train, pulled hard like a big King, but demonstrated the agility & impulsiveness of a coho or steelhead. This is my second largest Steelhead from a kayak & with such a trophy in my lap I soon forgot all the fish I had lost that day. 
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

henney

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2014
That's a beautiful fish. I gotta get down there.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
WOW!!! Incredible!

onefish

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Oct 2011
Great job!!  What a catch.  Sounds like a great day for you guys.
“Out of the water I am nothing” Duke Kahanamoku

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
Great looking fish.  Those B runs are few and far between this year.

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Wow! Congrats on the awesome fish! Thanks for sharing! This report is going to make it super tough to finish the work week. So anxious to get on some salmon!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
Nice! Great looking fish!
Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Hot bites like you experienced are the trips that make an entire year a memorable one.  Congrats on that huge steelie Hugh!  Did you get any measurements on that beauty?
aMayesing Bros.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Awesome report Hugh!  Lovin it.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Hot bites like you experienced are the trips that make an entire year a memorable one.  Congrats on that huge steelie Hugh!  Did you get any measurements on that beauty?

Thanks Chris! That was one of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen and I couldn't believe it was a hatch. She went 38", cut a dark red with thick fat marbling, & her skeins were undeveloped pinky size. An Idaho fish maybe? We really are blessed here in the PNW & I only hope we can maintain a healthy stock of these quality fish for all years to come.
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017

Thanks Chris! That was one of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen and I couldn't believe it was a hatch. She went 38", cut a dark red with thick fat marbling, & her skeins were undeveloped pinky size. An Idaho fish maybe? We really are blessed here in the PNW & I only hope we can maintain a healthy stock of these quality fish for all years to come.
38 inches!!!  :o

I don't know much about Columbia fish, but from your description, it sure sounds like a steelhead bound for Idaho.
aMayesing Bros.

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

hanapaa808

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Aug 2011
HANAPAA!!!

merlinos

• Plankton
  • Erazahan
  • Date Registered: Oct 2017
Awesome fishing, good job  ;)

anything