Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:53:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Crabbing  (Read 3034 times)

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Hello All,

I was planning on catching some crab soon before the closure moves farther north.  I was looking at Tillamook but have never crabbed here in the past.  I was planning on launching near Netarts Boat Basin and crabbing in the channels off of the launch.  Is this a good plan?  Any other recommendations of a good places to crab north of the closure that is out of the way of the monster winter surf.

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Not wanting to steel the thread, but last weekend was my first participation in snaring crab by casting off the jetty at Ilwaco.  I came prepared to go "snipe hunting" but we made small deck of cards sized snares with weed eater nooses and actually did fairly well with pieces of chicken cut up and jammed in with 3 ounces of weight.  It takes a stout rod (medium Medium Heavy) with a good reel with at least 30-braid, but it was fun.  Big wind and crashing waves didn't help much but we got 4 keepers and maybe a dozen toss backs in the 1 1/2 hour we could stand the wind.  My buddy wouldn't quite so I dumped about 3-4 pounds of heads/guts from fish caught at Silver Lake about 5 feet behind him around a big rock.  A huge flock of sea gulls and their traditional souvenirs convinced him to quit.

So if you go and can't launch due to wind, and there's an opportunity to cast, it's worth the backup this time of year.  I'm not sure if you had "a hook" in there somewhere if hooked crab would qualify in the angler of the year, but....

« Last Edit: November 27, 2017, 03:57:11 PM by Trident 13 »

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
MurseStrong and I were at Netarts today and it was pretty good. Bring lots of bait, more than one trap, and a little patience and limits will be had. We got them close to the ramp in the front channel. Netarts is very mellow, especially when the tide is not big.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
MurseStrong and I were at Netarts today and it was pretty good. Bring lots of bait, more than one trap, and a little patience and limits will be had. We got them close to the ramp in the front channel. Netarts is very mellow, especially when the tide is not big.

Thanks for the information. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Thank you minnowmagnet
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Bthomas

• This is the Bomb!!!
  • Herring
  • Doesn't get much better than fishing,,,
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Let me know if you want company....Sent you a PM...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
--------------------------------------
2016 PRo Angler 14
2017 Outback that I share with my wife occasionally...

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Who's going clam digging tonight/tomorrow?

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
nice haul! how do u all secure crab traps on ur revo? how many do u take? 3? how da hell is that manageable? example of not too big tide change for that area?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 10:40:50 AM by dampainter »

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
I went out Saturday and got 5.  Full of meat.  My friend and I fished within a 150' circle and he got zero keepers.  I had 10-20 per pull and he had 1-4 per pull.  My bait cages were completely full of fresh chicken.  His were 1/3 full with old frozen chicken. 
At another friend's request, I'm not stating the "secret" central coast bay. 

They sure were tasty!

Dave

5 crab between two boats is not really a secret worth guarding. Additionally, crabbing on the central coast is currently closed between Cape Foulweather and Tahkenitch Creek. Which leaves only Depoe Bay proper, Siletz Bay, and the Salmon River Estuary as the only options on the "central coast".
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 09:58:54 PM by Ling Banger »

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
Pacific city is looking a little crabby this next week
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
Newport and Waldport are no longer closed.

If you are wanting to go you should do it before the commercial guys get their gear set. Their 1000's of pots seems to lure them out of the bays to deeper water where they are promptly caught and placed in their hold.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/bill_monroe/index.ssf/2017/12/crabbing_reopens_in_newport_wa.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:43:19 AM by Ling Banger »

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon

If you are wanting to go you should do it before the commercial guys get their gear set. Their 1000's of pots seems to lure them out of the bays to deeper water where they are promptly caught and placed in their hold.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/bill_monroe/index.ssf/2017/12/crabbing_reopens_in_newport_wa.html

Any idea when the commercial fleet is set to launch their gear. Is that posted online somewhere google had trouble finding the dates
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon

Any idea when the commercial fleet is set to launch their gear. Is that posted online somewhere google had trouble finding the dates

They just did another meat to shell ratio test and I think they are pretty close to where they want them. I think once the fisherman and the processors come together on a price they will probably commence fishing now that the DA levels have dropped. My guess is that we have a week, maybe two before they start soaking their gear.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 01:01:13 PM by Ling Banger »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014

They have had a small army of deck hands preparing pots behind my place I’ll post up if I’m home when they start loading them.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

surf12foot

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Nov 2011
I know down here at Coos bay/ North Bend area they are set for Dec. 15
Scott

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
I know down here at Coos bay/ North Bend area they are set for Dec. 15

Also, the start date is when they start pulling. They are allowed to soak them 72 hours ahead of the start date.

anything