Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:03:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: managing crabpots on a hobie revo?  (Read 2981 times)

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
more than one and is unmanageable for me. how r u securing pots on ur revo`s to and from?

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
I don't. 

Wish I had a better answer.

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
more than one and is unmanageable for me. how r u securing pots on ur revo`s to and from?

I use an outback so i am sure the stability is much different.  I have my foldable pot already set up when i launch.  I use several Gear ties (sold at Home Depot they are a rubberized wire like item  that you can use to organize gear).  I loop the rope and the bouy and with one extra large gear tie I lightly secure it to the top of the traps i paddle out.  That way if i do flip or need to release the pot it will fall off and i can pull it in using the rope.  Some people put the rope in the pot on their way out but i think that is a recipe to lose your pot.  I put the bot directly behind my seat as i found it to be the most stable spot and easiest to unload and access when I want to deploy.  I loop another gear tie through the pot and  lightly attach it to the back of my seat.  I have stored 2 pots on top doing this method.  It is secure enough to take a few waves but easy enough to release if needed.  On my way in I fold the pot down for easy transport.  If I were on a revo, I would think abount launching with it completely folded.

I understand it may be different with a Revo but thought i would share my way as it has been relativly clean and easy since i found out about the gear ties.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
Here is how i saw one guy did it, see picture

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
When there is a will, there is a way!
You can keep the Danielson/Eagle Claw style traps folded and they stack behind your seat in the Revo. I even manage my wheels back there with the traps. Secure them in a way that they are easy to unstrap and they are very simple to unfold, add bait baskets to, and deploy out on the water. I like to keep the ropes and buoys disconnected until I am ready to drop them. I am not worried about losing traps because it still hasn't ever happened to me and they are cheap. I feel stable with multiple traps on the boat, but if you don't, just go back to deploying one at a time. Many bays are very convenient for this.
I don't bring more than one out in the ocean, for various reasons.
The older Revo's have a flatter bow-hatch cover. I wish mine had this because I would surely put a trap up there.
Way more fun crabbing the bays with 3 traps.
Give it a go, and moderate your drinking for the first few trips. Bring lots of bait.
I went again last Monday and the crab quality was primo and the limit was fun to acquire.

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Showa, nice looking mod.  I made it into a jpeg in case someone has a hard time downloading it.  I could see folded traps secured with a pass-through line to easily release them onsite and ropes/floats in front of the seat.

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
I haven't really had that much trouble with them stacked behind the seat. It is a little bit tippier I guess, but I usually don't have that far to go! I could see where crabbing in the ocean might be a bit different. I will say that the round rebar traps I used last season (shorter and wider) were better for transport but they didn't catch as much crab.

I just bait them up and have the line neatly coiled and ready to go tucked inside the trap (door left unlatched in case one does fall off, hopefully the floats will come out and it'll be found). I don't think I'd want to mess around with unfolding traps  and baiting them out on the water. I'd have drifted way off the spot where I wanted to crab by the time I was ready to drop the pot...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
My go to method (Natives and Big Tuna) pot on the back already baited, rope coiled on top, float behind the seat.... second pot on top of that rope and float the same way....bungee over both.... paddle out, once I’m close to drop point pull bungee, throw top pots float and keep peddling trailing the line to ensure no tangles or knots, drop pot and allow rope to gently run through my hand to ensure once again no tangle or knots..... repeat for pot two.... soak-N-fish then retrieve. 

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

crash

• Salmon
My go to method (Natives and Big Tuna) pot on the back already baited, rope coiled on top, float behind the seat.... second pot on top of that rope and float the same way....bungee over both.... paddle out, once I’m close to drop point pull bungee, throw top pots float and keep peddling trailing the line to ensure no tangles or knots, drop pot and allow rope to gently run through my hand to ensure once again no tangle or knots..... repeat for pot two.... soak-N-fish then retrieve.

They don’t fit on the Revo and it gets top heavy fast. It’s simply not a good crabbing boat. I’ve tried. I use a Santa Cruz raptor G2 for crabbing. It is an ideal crabbing boat.

The hinged platform above looks ok for space but it still has the problem of stacking traps and three on that would be pretty unwieldy I’d think. I’ve tried PVC keepers, bungies, my lap, and nothing was satisfactory to get three traps on the boat. The best was to collapse the danielson traps and lay them over pvc cut to about 18” and placed in the rod holders but it was still a giant pain in the ass. The G2 is easy peasy. It’s also a full knot slower than the Revo using identical mirage drives.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Showa, nice looking mod.  I made it into a jpeg in case someone has a hard time downloading it.  I could see folded traps secured with a pass-through line to easily release them onsite and ropes/floats in front of the seat.

I watched a guy swamp an Outback in gentle swells using this board-across-the-hull setup.  The Outback got to rocking and rolling until water was flowing over the gunwales - before he'd deployed the pots.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

troyak

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I stack 1 or 2 traps loaded on the front hatch of my revo. I put a pool noodle u shaped tucked under the bungies that hold the hatch down for a platform to stack the traps on and a line running from the bow over the traps and secured to a fastener above the mast hole,but I mostly only run 1 in the ocean.I'm putting together a pescador tribe 13.5 w/ 32# thrust electric for a more stable platform for crabbing though!

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
appreciate the feedback. was hoping someone had made some kind "H" rack.  i have a small trap think made by mckay? that and a danielson. when used(once so far) i take a small milkcrate tied behind my seat for the crab. the pots behind that. that was in the bay and a pain in the ass.  i did use the wire plastic coated ties from coastal? they are the way to go but when coming in off the bay still pots slid all over. am thinking may have to build some kind of rack this winter. something fairly easy to deal with crab and also fish too when am on the ocean.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 12:53:21 PM by dampainter »

AndyFishes

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2016
I use one of these buckets in the front hatch to keep crab in but we're only allowed to keep 5 dungeness here. I usually take it out of the hatch before I pull the pot and keep it between my knees. Pull the pot, resting it on the bucket, and pedals, and knees. Sort the crab and put the pot behind me if I'm not dropping it again.Scoot forward and put the bucket back in the hatch. It takes a little maneuvering but once you get it down to a system it's not too bad. Tried it today but got skunked except for 2 red rocks which I didn't bother with. I moved them a bit and I'll check them tomorrow...

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
On my Revo, I only use one pot and I usually have over a limit in that one when I am in the ocean. If I am short a crab or two (rarely happens in the summer), I don't care because they are so much bigger than bay crab.  In Netarts Bay, I just stack all three and take them to my not so secret - secret spot.  It is sheltered from the wind and so wind waves have not been a problem... yet.  I usually let them soak overnight there. If it is a little rougher, I take two out, then come back for the third.  Or, just go with the two. But as previously mentioned, I have never needed more than one on the ocean.  I ave done two, but I usually have used the Outback for that - one on the deck, and one behind me. Pulling two up from the bottom of the ocean was too labor intensive for me when I usually ended up just dumping the contents of the second.  I leave the crab in the trap for the beach landing and the pot is not strapped down. The float line is coiled on top so if I dump it, the trap can easily be found and pulled again.  It is much easier to right the kayak if pots are't strapped to it.

Myself and Sinker got two limits out of one pot in the ocean a couple years ago.  I didn't bring one but he checked his part way through the day and took out his limit plus three for me.  We dropped it back down and pulled it again later to finish my limit. Have I mentioned I love the ocean.

sherminator

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2011
I echo all Craig's comments - only 1 pot in the ocean, and sort on the beach. I use a milk crate, and the trap sits nicely on top, with the buoy and line in the milk crate. I also have a two PVC pipes strapped vertically in my milk crate - one for my fish bonker (toy baseball bat) and one for my flag. The bonker sticks up through the crate and helps hold it on. The flag I have to pull and re-insert it through the trap. This really keeps the trap in place. Here is a picture of a trap sitting on top of my milk crate, minus the flag. You can see the bonker behind the crab in the left foreground. (The kids are my granddaughter and great nephew)

15x tournament loser
2011 Hobie Oasis (yellow)
2014 Hobie Revo  (red)
2017 Aquaglide Blackfoot HB Angler XL