Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:29:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: New kayak angler, Newport Oregon  (Read 1759 times)

O. mykiss

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Hello everyone, I am from the Newport area and I am new to kayak fishing. I am an apprentice electrician in my second year of schooling. I have been fishing all over the state of Oregon for about 20 years now. I have a drift boat and fish for salmon and steelhead religiously, and I fish for rockfish from the shore a lot. I recently was given and Ocean Kayak drifter and I want to equip it for fishing in the ocean and I figured NWKA was the best place to learn the ins and outs of kayak angling. Thank you for adding me and thank you in advance for all the help! I look forward to meeting some of you on the water!

Bthomas

• This is the Bomb!!!
  • Herring
  • Doesn't get much better than fishing,,,
Hello everyone, I am from the Newport area and I am new to kayak fishing. I am an apprentice electrician in my second year of schooling. I have been fishing all over the state of Oregon for about 20 years now. I have a drift boat and fish for salmon and steelhead religiously, and I fish for rockfish from the shore a lot. I recently was given and Ocean Kayak drifter and I want to equip it for fishing in the ocean and I figured NWKA was the best place to learn the ins and outs of kayak angling. Thank you for adding me and thank you in advance for all the help! I look forward to meeting some of you on the water!
Welcome to the forum!!!  I grew up in Corvallis and we always had a cabin in Waldport--spent a lot of time on the Alsea and the Siletz! 

I'm a newb to the kayak thing too but really excited about it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
--------------------------------------
2016 PRo Angler 14
2017 Outback that I share with my wife occasionally...

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Welcome!  I moved to Yachats about a year ago and fished the Siletz a bunch last spring/summer.  The "Town Drift" is great for those solo missions  :).  Depoe Bay is my most-used saltwater port, and you'll see many other kayakers fishing out of Depoe as well.  I've found the bottomfishing to be excellent there--case in point, three lingcod over 40 inches were brought in at last July's Oregon Rockfish Classic event.  There's also some good sole fishing there, and the ocean coho fishing can be stellar when it's open.  You'll dig it!
aMayesing Bros.

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
You've got some good opportunities right in Newport like the Yaquina River and jetties and Olalla Lake.

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
Welcome to the forum.  Newport is a great fishing hub, lots of access to waters for salmon and saltwater species.  Jigging for herring in Yaquina bay on a kayak is lots of fun - in addition to the previously mentioned places.

O. mykiss

• Herring
Thanks for all the tips and encouragement! I know all of these fisheries very well, especially the siletz. The difference is I’ve never fished any of these fisheries from a yak. I’m excited about the opportunities that my kayak will open up. When rockfish opens I’d like to meet up with some of you and go after some rockfish. Does anyone have an ocean kayak, and how did you go about setting it up? I have no clue where to even start

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Here are some links I've collected over time.  They are a good read even if it's not something you might have planned just for background, little ideas add up.  Have fun.

Various kayak set up ideas I liked, many from the NWKA site:

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=15788.0

http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=53335.0

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=11486.0

http://www.demonick.com/kayak/HMR/Downrigger/00.HMR.Downrigger.Mount.html

Launch Points across the US
https://paddling.com/paddle/locations/?lat=41.84&lng=-98.61&zoom=3

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:48:07 AM by Trident 13 »

Clayman

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Thanks for all the tips and encouragement! I know all of these fisheries very well, especially the siletz. The difference is I’ve never fished any of these fisheries from a yak. I’m excited about the opportunities that my kayak will open up. When rockfish opens I’d like to meet up with some of you and go after some rockfish. Does anyone have an ocean kayak, and how did you go about setting it up? I have no clue where to even start
Come January, I'll be on the lookout for weather windows to make a Depoe run.  Steelhead take up the vast majority of my fishing time in winter, but lately I've had a hankering for some CnR fishing on monster lingcod.  I'll post a hookup a day or two before I go.  It's easy rockfishing out there: rocky reefs to the north and south of port provide plenty of room to explore.

Make sure to have a hand-held VHF radio with you when going out on the ocean, and especially when going out of Depoe Bay.  You'll want the radio so you can call the Coast Guard on your way in and ask if the "hole" underneath the Hwy 101 bridge is clear for passage.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 07:55:52 AM by Clayman »
aMayesing Bros.

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013

1st of all WELCOME!
to fish ocean? just got a yak? u may already know but most use a drysuit.  i wouldn't even think about going out there without it. not in these waters. yes, even in summer. i know u have a pfd. as stated above a marine radio is a must have for depoe bay DO NOT GO THERE WITHOUT A RADIO  AND ON CHANNEL 80. ....at least be with someone going out and coming back in who has one. the hole/slot under the 101 bridge that all use to access ocean from the harbor is very narrow so whether sportboat or charter there is room in that slot for one vessel either going out or coming in at a time. this is the reason u`ll want /need a radio (specifically for depoe)to announce that u are either "outbound" or "inbound". after u announcing ....especially on ur incoming, the coast guard who are there in the harbor monitoring the slot will come back to u with either ok to come in or hold off due to vessel in slot. to go out there anywhere without a radio to me is plain stupid. they are relatively cheap to buy one. ( around what 80?? for a decent one) and in an emergency may save ur life. another item is to be seen out there, u NEED to be seen out there.  fly a safety flag. fish finder with built in gps can be a life saver when the fog catches u off guard ( i also carry a handheld gps for a backup as well as a small handheld compass to back up my back up.. other than that and a fairly flat ocean a rod a couple lancer jigs. and ur in. the rest ? whatever that is that u want for ur yak? fish finder/rod holders etc...  should look in the drillin and cuttin forum or product discussions forum, should be able to find whatever ur looking for. keep in mind the oregon rockfish classic that has been going on every july out of depoe, it is open to all provided u meet the tournaments simple rules.  immersion wear/radio/flag/signaling device(whistle/air horn) are a couple of the requirements.....awards and gatherings are held at chinook bend rv and campground. u really should go to this. there are other events as well but this one is in ur backyard. one other thing u may want/need to do before going out there is practice self rescue and make sure that u r able to recover ok.   when i go out there depoe is the place. c u sometime.  driftboat for sale?? now u may never use it again.

Another item, in case radio malfunctions or other, always carry a loud whistle, use that before entering slot when coming back in then listen for a return if not cautiously go for it. (it happened to me once so far.) kinda hairy on a busy day.
 after the 1st sometime am hoping for calm weather to go when i do go usually i post up on here.  so what do u need or ur yak need done before ur able?
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 07:57:30 AM by dampainter »

anything