Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:32:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 19, 2024, 09:27:54 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 08:37:24 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 07:29:58 PM]

by PNW
[April 19, 2024, 07:22:33 PM]

[April 19, 2024, 08:51:17 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: 2018 OR Groundfish limits adopted  (Read 2852 times)

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015

Shutting it down while the lings are nest sitting might be a good thing for the near shore fishery in the longer run.

Higher lingcod population to feed on the smaller blacks haha.  This sounds liek the definition of a death spiral
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 02:59:35 PM by Zach.Dennis »
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Shutting it down while the lings are nest sitting might be a good thing for the near shore fishery in the longer run.

I'm not an expert, but I've been told lings are currently managed pretty well and replacement numbers are sufficient.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
In my own personal opinion I feel it would be best if charter boats had their own quota that is separate from private sport fishing craft. They don't give a shit how many, how big, what color, or what they taste like, as long as they have a full boat booked for tomorrow.

They are the ones that at are squawking the loudest about the shutdown resulting in all of the trips they had to cancel, and all of the income they have lost.

The last time it was shut down in entirety was 14 years ago. As a kayak dork I miss keeping an eye on magicseaweed and looking for windows to get out this time of year (this morning looked pretty darn good).  I mainly just miss the excuse to go get salty while whale watching and enjoy the winter solitude.

I think it is best to give it 2018 and see how it goes. If they don’t make many Long leader trips and the season is shit down early again, then shut down the charters for the inshore fishery on a week on/week off basis (or some other system of closure like 1-15th, etc.) and force them to go on long leader trips if they want to fish rockfish.

This assumes that the charter fleet is a significant contributor to the overall take of rockfish, which is a number that I don’t know.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
In my own personal opinion I feel it would be best if charter boats had their own quota that is separate from private sport fishing craft. They don't give a shit how many, how big, what color, or what they taste like, as long as they have a full boat booked for tomorrow.

They are the ones that at are squawking the loudest about the shutdown resulting in all of the trips they had to cancel, and all of the income they have lost.

The last time it was shut down in entirety was 14 years ago. As a kayak dork I miss keeping an eye on magicseaweed and looking for windows to get out this time of year (this morning looked pretty darn good).  I mainly just miss the excuse to go get salty while whale watching and enjoy the winter solitude.

I think it is best to give it 2018 and see how it goes. If they don’t make many Long leader trips and the season is shit down early again, then shut down the charters for the inshore fishery on a week on/week off basis (or some other system of closure like 1-15th, etc.) and force them to go on long leader trips if they want to fish rockfish.

This assumes that the charter fleet is a significant contributor to the overall take of rockfish, which is a number that I don’t know.

I'm sticking with "fish lots early in the year".  if the charter and sport catch takes off in Mey-June-July, as the data predicts, that quota could go fast.... 
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013

I thought it was based on charter boat catch, since there's a separate quota for commercial fishing.  Around this area, charter boats that may have made a single trip for tuna were making three, sometimes four, trips a day for bottom fish.  That's a bunch of fish per boat.

There aren't any fish checkers around me, so I am completely unfamiliar with how often they check private craft.

When the fishery was pushed out to 40 fathoms, almost all of those boats went back to one trip per day.  I'd have to guess that even with a ten-fish limit, that wasn't as profitable as it may have been to stay near the beach.

I agree that this is what the limits will be in 2018, so go with it and get some proof of what happens when nothing changes.

Plus: what Roger said!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:03:20 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Are charter boats considered the same as commercial in relationship to licenses? 
Charter boats don't catch and sell fish specifically, they primarily make money taking customers out to catch their own fish.

But I agree with Ling Banger, the Charter boats catch WAYYYY more fish in a year than other sport/kayak fisherman do. 

I would like to see land based fisherman and human powered craft have a reasonable quota that we can fill that is separate from all the other forms of powered watercraft.  We have much more limited available days on the water due to sea/bar conditions than everyone else.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Are charter boats considered the same as commercial in relationship to licenses? 
Charter boats don't catch and sell fish specifically, they primarily make money taking customers out to catch their own fish.

But I agree with Ling Banger, the Charter boats catch WAYYYY more fish in a year than other sport/kayak fisherman do. 

I would like to see land based fisherman and human powered craft have a reasonable quota that we can fill that is separate from all the other forms of powered watercraft.  We have much more limited available days on the water due to sea/bar conditions than everyone else.
Charter boats are not considered commercial each person abord is an individual fisherman with there own license it’s just a payed transportation to the fish and the more fisherman they get in the water the more $$$ they make per day. We all know money runs this world unfortunately.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger

Charter boats are not considered commercial each person abord is an individual fisherman with there own license it’s just a payed transportation to the fish and the more fisherman they get in the water the more $$$ they make per day. We all know money runs this world unfortunately.

I think that Charters are required to report effort (number fishing) and catch, so that data would be solid.  As for private boats and jetty/estuary fishing, they must be extrapolating from a smaller amount of data collected. 

PNW

• Teutrowenia pellucida (Googly-eyed glass squid)
  • Sturgeon
  • Paul
  • My Facebook page
  • Date Registered: Sep 2008
My opinion: Charter boat catch should be counted with the commercial catch, not the sport fishery.

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
My opinion: Charter boat catch should be counted with the commercial catch, not the sport fishery.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

That is what I was hinting at with my previous post.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15