Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:07:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Waterproof fish finder battery box ideas?  (Read 7682 times)

• Date Registered: Mar 2016
Hello all,

So it's getting close to that time of year where i will prep for the long awaited bottom fishing season. Over the past couple years iv been having issues with my battery connections getting wet, and corroded, and causing me to have to replace the connection wires yearly.

It seems there are a decent amount of so called waterproof options for batteries out there, but due to my place of residence i am stuck with online shopping, and its hard to pick something perfect without getting a good look at it.

So on that note. Anyone have suggestions or DIY ideas?

Much appreciated!

~Forks Fish Slayer ~

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Try a search. There have been many many versions posted on this site. I'm sure you can find one that suits your needs.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
what r u using? how r u doing ur connections?   

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Yessir, there is a ton of information here, but can I ask what you mean by "the connections getting wet and corroding"?

Are you carrying the battery loose?  Not in any kind of container?  Some people just shove them in a dry bag and have great luck with that - I believe INSAYN may still be doing that - and that might be a quick solution.  Or all you may want or need is a tube of dielectric grease to protect the connections.  I think kardinal84 may still be using that method.

It's really not hard or expensive to build a basic box once you pull together the bits and pieces.  I like using the large Outdoor Products watertight boxes that you can find on Amazon or in any Wally World for less than $10.  They're compact but still large enough to hold a 12v 10amp SLA with plenty of room for the wires and fuse holder.  And they're watertight - DAMHIK that.

Here's a post by pmmpete for a box that looks a lot like mine: http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=17734.msg191025#msg191025, but there are probably a hundred different posts about DIY battery boxes.

There are lots of other options for a box for a DIY project - including Tupperware - and they all seem to work, so it's just a decision about where you want to start.

If you decide to build your own, use the Search to see what bits and pieces you'll need to get the wires from the battery to the outside of the box, and the plugs to use on the finder's wiring, because there are as many ways to do that as there are DIY boxes.

I believe my box cost me around $20 to build - not including the battery - for the box and all the parts and supplies, and about a half-an-hour to put it together.  I couldn't find a pre-made box that cost that little or worked better.

Good luck.  I'll watch for your questions.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 07:23:44 AM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
See http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=17734.msg191025#msg191025 for a description of pair of battery boxes which I made from inexpensive Outdoor Products plastic waterproof boxes which you can buy at Walmart and an SAE two-prong panel connector.  The connector allows me to move my battery from my kayak to my charger without opening the battery box.  I'm totally happy with these battery boxes.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 07:01:48 AM by pmmpete »

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013

DWB123

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2013
As tempting as it is, don't do this with a lithium battery.

One stuffed in a Pelican case almost burnt my house down. O_o

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
I have a "battery sack" installed.  The battery fits in the square shaped cloth-ish bag that has a zipper to close it in.  The case is suspended above the bottom of the kayak with straps so it "hangs".  The trident is always (knock on wood) dry inside but it wouldn't really matter with a sealed battery with silicone on the terminals connections.  Wires from the battery stick out through a top hole and have the same terminal end as the connection to the charger.  I unzip the case, unclip the wire, remove the battery for charging, slide it back in the case and clip to the wire harness to the FF and zip it shut.  I'mm having sideways picture issues, but you get the jest of it.

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
As tempting as it is, don't do this with a lithium battery.

One stuffed in a Pelican case almost burnt my house down. O_o
DWB, what was the nature or source of the problem with the lithium battery?  Was it a lithium battery problem, a wiring problem, a battery box problem, or what?

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
Lithium Ion or Lithium Phosphate Battery??  Not all "Lithiums" are the same hazard for being enclosed.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
Harbor Freight is producing their pelican case knock-offs again.  https://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result/index/?dir=asc&order=EAScore%2Cf%2CEAFeatured+Weight%2Cf%2CSale+Rank%2Cf&q=waterproof+case  I bought one several years ago and was happy to see them making them again.  I love pelican cases, but they are priced for Hollywood, the U.S. Government, and police/fire departments trying to spend grant money.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Lithium Ion or Lithium Phosphate Battery??  Not all "Lithiums" are the same hazard for being enclosed.

I'll let DWB respond with any more info, but it was posted up on this thread.

http://www.northwestkayakanglers.com/index.php?topic=17505.msg191344#msg191344
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
My struggle was upgrading to a larger fish finder with a touch screen.  I've owned Lowrance Elite 7's and never had a problem running a 12V 7ah SLA battery.  Upgrading to the Elite 7 HDI, it sucks a bit more power.  I was only getting 4- 5 hours on a charge.  I upgraded to a bigger SLA/Deep Cycle that weighed 8 lbs.  It did the trick for a day of fishing.

I've been working with a local (Seattle) company making Lithium Ion Batteries.  https://www.dakotalithiumbattery.com.  They have been making Lithium Ion Batteries for years for Electric Bikes.  They have also been popular for ice fishing.  Their Lithium Ion Batteries are $69 with a $20 charger.  Completely sealed and they work fine inside a dry bag in my hull.  I'm getting 12 hours or more on one charge and they weigh about 2lb ea. I'm working with them on a quick connector.

I'll have them at my seminars at the Seattle Boat Show and the Washington Sportsman's Show.  Dakota Lithium will also have a booth at the Washington Sportsman's Show.  Check them out.

~Brad

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
My struggle was upgrading to a larger fish finder with a touch screen.  I've owned Lowrance Elite 7's and never had a problem running a 12V 7ah SLA battery.  Upgrading to the Elite 7 HDI, it sucks a bit more power.  I was only getting 4- 5 hours on a charge.  I upgraded to a bigger SLA/Deep Cycle that weighed 8 lbs.  It did the trick for a day of fishing.

I've been working with a local (Seattle) company making Lithium Ion Batteries.  https://www.dakotalithiumbattery.com.  They have been making Lithium Ion Batteries for years for Electric Bikes.  They have also been popular for ice fishing.  Their Lithium Ion Batteries are $69 with a $20 charger.  Completely sealed and they work fine inside a dry bag in my hull.  I'm getting 12 hours or more on one charge and they weigh about 2lb ea. I'm working with them on a quick connector.

I'll have them at my seminars at the Seattle Boat Show and the Washington Sportsman's Show.  Dakota Lithium will also have a booth at the Washington Sportsman's Show.  Check them out.

~Brad

Where's the $69 version battery?  Is that the price for a qty of 50?? 

Looks like one battery says "LiFeP04 Upgrade" -- so is that Lithium Ion or Lithium Phosphate?

I recall the fire incident thread, vividly!!  Still don't really know if that applies to the blue brick battery that I currently own if I run the risk of the same fire occurring.  Would be good to know.  I only use the "manufacturer supplied charger" and it does take forever to recharge.

anything