Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:00:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: 2018 Springer Season  (Read 2009 times)

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
I don’t post often but life’s flying by & maybe sharing a glimpse of my spring will inspire others while helping me remember this great time. When you have a newborn you have to make every fishing trip count as they’re limited & the lady will remind you of that.
Spring Salmon on the Willamette started fishing well early this year and consequently my adventurous winter steelhead season abruptly ended. Initially, hooking and losing a Willamette springer almost every trip out was a monkey on my back I couldn’t shake. However, I still managed to boat some beautiful natives & several keepers for enough table fare to feed the family and friends.
Spring Salmon fishing is rewarding to me because every year can be drastically different and much like steelhead, learning to read & adapt to conditions increases success. It’s easy to get complacent fishing the same area & method year after year, occasionally finding success. Persistence in springer fishing over the years will make you a better fisherman.
This year especially I’ve been impressed with varying techniques & methods of catching these trophy fish. Tying up my own quality home made spinners and bait rigs has made a huge difference in my success. Fishing the best bait I can find; the prawn/coonie spinner/spnglo is one of my favorite tactics next to the tried & true herring. Having a variable arsenal of tactics has helped me stay on fish (I would NOT recommend SUP jigging among the PBs & Sea Lions at Oregon City)
Recently the temperature in the Willamette has increased & levels have risen with backed up flow and runoff from the Columbia. Fishing has been slow to decent for some, but with increased pressure to put meat on the table & feed the family I was looking to find the action & drop into the run for a HOT bite! I chased low numbers upriver & got out of town for the first time in months.
It payed off. In the middle of the PBs I got into a reel screaming shoulder-burner of a battle. The fat spring hen took over a dozen strong runs towards the Big C before sliding into the net. I washed my gear off, threw her on ice & started trolling back into the action. Five minutes in my rod buried again. De Ja vu. I drug the last fish through all the PBs, fighting him gracefully and celebrating all the way to the fish bag.
A week later I woke up at 2:30AM to feed the baby before I headed back out. When we arrived I realized I had forgotten my Vantage seat. Don’t be silly...I’m still gonna send it!! We hit the water just at sunrise and watched a rare first light bite unfold in front of us. Second pass I get into an ideal fish fight with a hatchery buck that takes several “shark fin” runs on the surface. The bite wasnt as hot as the week before and continued to slow through the morning but once again having the best bait & solid techniques payed off.
Springer fishing will only continue to pickup and I encourage you guys to get after it. We continue to establish ourselves as competent fish slayers among the PBs and guides. Fish with confidence!

If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

Stinger Hook

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
This is a great post with some very inspiring pictures!!!

Fishing for springers on the Willamette had slowed down for me with not even a nibble on the last two trips. I had already decided to call the season over. With reports like these i probably need to give it a another shot!

Thanks.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
You need a bigger cooler.  :)  I have three if you need one.  Mine rarely see a Springer.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
Not to detract from the springers, but what's that roof loader thingie you have?  I spoke to a guy who had one recently but can't recall the make/model.  Congrats on a good season and the accommodating new mom who lets you fish that much. :)
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Not to detract from the springers, but what's that roof loader thingie you have?  I spoke to a guy who had one recently but can't recall the make/model.  Congrats on a good season and the accommodating new mom who lets you fish that much. :)
That’s a Hulivator I might have spelt it wrong.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
That's some dang nice work boy!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

rawkfish

• ORC
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • youtube.com
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
Solid work for the new daddy!!  8)

2011 Angler Of The Year
1st Place 2011 PDX Bass Yakin' Classic
"Fishing relaxes me.  It's like yoga except I still get to kill something."  - Ron Swanson

Beer_Run

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2017
It ain’t over til its over.

Friday afternoon at OC

Can’t catch ‘em on the couch.

500 yards above and below the old bridge. Leo flasher, 8oz, 35 ft on the line counter, Mexican flag Simon 3.5

Saw 7-8 fish besides mine

B

- Bob

2020 Hobie Outback - Seagrass
2021 Old Town AutoPilot 120 - Blue/Gray

MurseStrong

• Lingcod
  • 2009 OK T11 2016 Hobie Revo 13 2018 Hobie Revo 13
  • Date Registered: Dec 2013
Excellent Beer_run, that area has been tough Fishin this year especially from a kayak!
I’m jealous of everyone out halibut fishing this month so I’ve been drowning my sorrows in springer blood for distraction.
Learning to adapt your fishing to varying conditions will only increase your success rate throughout the season. I picked up this fat hen early at sunrise on the inside rod while turning. Couple hours later the buck took both hooks on a 14ft ledge & peeled 80 ft line trying to beach itself.
If You Know The Answer, Ask Bigger Questions

"You are killing me, fish, the old man thought. But you have a right to. Never have I seen a greater, or more beautiful, or a calmer or more noble thing than you, brother."
-The Old Man and the Sea

DPL

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
This caught my eye in Murse’s post, “Learning to adapt your fishing to varying conditions will only increase your success rate throughout the season.” As a new salmon fisher, other than years of trial and error, what are some good resources, for learning what adaptations go with what conditions?

minnowmagnet

• Lingcod
  • aka That F'n minnowmagnet
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Thanks for posting the killer pics, guys!
All this springer success has got me drooling. Great job.
I always thought those Leo's flashers looked goofy, but evidently the fish aren't laughing. I am converted.

DPL

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Jan 2018
Many thanks, Murse, for that lengthy and thoughtful response! I really appreciate it. I’ve really been enjoying getting out, starting to learn the river. The problem solving aspect of finding where the fish are and what will get their attention is tons of fun — but it’s also hard when nothing’s working and you make a change and still nothing’s working. Sometimes it might be nice to have a couple fewer variables. :-)