Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:57:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Clam gulch  (Read 2016 times)

T_Bird

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Anyone fish clam gulch before? Any halibut? This is out of the ADFG Mark zone?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKFishOn

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Dec 2015
I know FISHAPALOOZA lives right near there and has been meaning to hit the area. Message him, he may have some insight.
"If your hands ain't bleeding, you ain't fishing hard enough!"

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Lots of very shallow flat beach can be a discouraging factor. It may limit your fishing time as you would want to work your launch and take out around the high tide. Otherwise it would be a long cart from the low water back to the truck. All the commfish beach sites will start fishing in July but they have their running lines and buoys deployed way back in June as hazards to your fishing line until you get outside the last set of buoys.
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~

T_Bird

• Rockfish
Thanks for tips and appreciate your replies..

easyyakker

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: May 2016
There are halibut there. I don't know the numbers. I know my folks used to catch the occasional halibut in their setnet sites. That was a long time ago. (They quit commercial fishing in 1965.) People used to commercial halibut fish all the way up the inlet.

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
There are halibut there. I don't know the numbers. I know my folks used to catch the occasional halibut in their setnet sites. That was a long time ago. (They quit commercial fishing in 1965.) People used to commercial halibut fish all the way up the inlet.

Indeed, setnetters all the way up to Tyonek catch halibut in their nets now and then. Enough for a change of pace tasty meal. I have friends that fish off the beach near Rig Tenders and catch halibut on nearly every outing between 2 or 3 guys. A traditional spot in the Spring til early June is the Black Can off the mouth of the Kenai River. Those halibut move in and target the millions of outmigrating smolt leaving the river as well as gorge on the hooligan run that is entering the river. Best of both tides, out going and in coming. 50 - 100 pounders can be caught out there. And there are already folks fishing off the south beach at the mouth of the Kasilof for halibut now. Actually they started a couple weeks back.

My uncle came to Kenai in 1955.  He said back then in the territorial days locals would walk out on the big sand bar on the south side of the Kenai River mouth at low tide and drive one inch pipes into the ground and tie on a halibut ganglion with a big salmon head on the hook. 12 hours later on the next low tide they would go out and bring back halibut sometimes hitting 100 pounds. Too bad that isn't allowed now days. I'd love to try it. Using salmon heads prevents 99% of the dogfish sharks from getting your bait.

T_Bird

• Rockfish

It was cloudy in the morning; afternoon, was sunny. Didn't catch anything...
Saw two people caught dog sharks..

« Last Edit: April 23, 2017, 03:43:26 PM by T_Bird »

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
Saw two people caught dog sharks..

Actually dogfish are used a lot for Fish n Chips in the UK and other European countries enjoy them too. The East Coast use to have a huge export market for dogfish overseas but it never caught on in USA.  I guess I will have to give one a try this year. The Inlet off the mouth of the Kenai is plagued with them from mid summer into fall. The key to any shark preparation is to immediately bleed the shark from the gills as well as the tail end while they are alive. Their blood contains a high level of ammonia which dissipates into the meat if not bled out and makes the meat undesirable. Quickly cleaning and filleting will insure the highest quality of meat too.

Fishapalooza

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2015
I have not fished CG in my kayak yet, but I have heard people are catching halibut from Kasilof beaches. I want a dock where I can launch from the Kasilof River, 24/7.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Fishapalooza

• Herring
We did not catch any halibut from shore today, no good bites either.

Fishapalooza

• Herring
One of the other problems with Clam Gulch is this rock formation near the beach. It generates some pretty mean currents.

kardinal_84

• Sturgeon
  • Perseverance Pays!
  • Kayak Fishing Southcentral Alaska
  • Date Registered: Mar 2011
I have heard lots of stories about surf casters catching fish by clam gulch.  I have always been amazed to hear those stories for two reasons.

1) It seems like its super shallow for a long ways out.

2) The water clarity is always terrible.  This would be one place I would just guess that surf casting or anchoring from a  boat might work better than a non anchored kayak.  Then again i do recall catching fish drfiting around in a  boat off about where wildwood correctional facility in Kenai would be.   I would think you would need plenty of scent.  I also wonder if the water is muddy all the way to the bottom.  more than once flying into anchorage, I have noticed streaks of greener non-gray muddy water in the middle of the inlet.  Maybe its clearer near the bottom? 

It sure would cut off lots of drive time....  Hope fully I will get to test it out this summer as I would like to try and fish the mouth of the Kenai River before the insanity of the dip netting season. 

Oh here's a pic of two smaller dog fish fillets.  Not as good as cod or halibut but it wasn't bad at all.

Personal Chauffeur for Kokatat & Hobie Fishing Team member, Ryu .

Personal fishing sites of Alaska Kayak Angling adventures of my son and I. I am NOT a guide.
guidesak.blogspot.com
AlaskaKayakFisher.com

anything