Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:58:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Brownlee Crappie Shootout II placement and wrap up  (Read 2414 times)

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I want to thank all of the participants that made it out to the Brownlee Crappie Shootout II kayak fishing tournament this weekend. Many of the guys and ladies traveled in from far away towns such as Klamath Falls, Seattle and the Twin Falls area in Eastern Idaho but we also picked up a couple of locals from Richland, OR. The crowd was diverse but got along well and new friends were quickly made and fishing stories shared.

This years the multi species points per inch format turned out to be a lot of math but worked out really well. There was strategy, skill and luck all at play in trying to catch as many species as possible. Bonus by catch fish were welcome and upgrading a quarter inch on a crappie may gain you a few places on the podium.

With the water on the rise from record lows, people scattered throughout the boundaries of the two Reservoirs to gain any kind of advantage. We found good fishing directly adjacent to the camp while pre fishing on Friday and decided to stay there for the tourney. I got out a little late and found James and Brad had already gotten their cat fish and perch and were working on other species. I later found out Jim M had four species by 7:30AM. Local knowledge really paid off, however he freely shared information on the water and tried to get everyone on fish.

The weather this year was beautiful for most of the day with a neat thunder head blowing in signaling a final call for competitors to start heading back to camp and check in their fish.

The check in, pot luck and awards ceremony were a mass of controlled chaos and did not work out anything like I had planned out in my head. The math really beat me down but I got all of the numbers tallied and places fixed. The top 3 finishers ran away from the pack by receiving points for four species. Fourth through tenth places were separated by a mere 41 points making for an exciting finish. Top 10 spots were:

1. 713.25 James Reeher- Nobaddays
2. 703 Jim M-Richlandfishhammer
3. 656.25 Brad Hole- BallardBrad
4. 561.5 Jed Rivera- jed
5. 559 Justin Flynn- Justin
6. 554 Mike Ragland- Magic Mike
7. 546.5 Jason McCormick- Jsmccormick
8. 544.125 Mark Veary- Spot
9. 525.5 Loretta Martinez- Lorglas
10. 520.5 Jon Milan- Darktuna

Individual species winners recieved commemorative BCSII crank baits. They were:

Crappie- 11.75" Mike Ragland- Magic Mike
Bass- 15" Jim M- Richlandfishhammer
Trout- 6" Dan E- Dan_E
Perch- 12" Jim M- Richlandfishhammer
Catfish- 25.5 James Reeher- Nobaddays
Panfish- 9" James Reeher- Nobaddays

I took exactly zero pictures at the tournament but I hope people will post up their pix on this thread. Jordan took a bunch so I will have him post up some.

I would like to thank all of the sponsors that generously donated prizes and the 24 competitors that came out to fish and hang out.

Also, a huge thanks to Bettye Ramirez for coming down to speak about what CASA of Eastern Oregon does and how it works.
A big thank you to Northwestkayakanglers.com for providing a great platform on which to share information and gather the kayak fishing community.

Thank you, jed
« Last Edit: May 22, 2017, 05:52:37 PM by jed »

Nobaddays

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
Jed, thanks for all the work you put in to make this tournament possible.  You did a great job.  Brownlee was fun to fish and catching new species was a huge bonus.
Being retired, they pay me when I go fishing, therefore I am kind of a professional fisherman.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Awesome event this year Jed!  I especially liked the location and layout of the campground.  It was telling that all the best scores came from people who launched from Camp.  Next year that belt buckle is mine!

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Thanks Jed for all of your hard work.  I had a blast camping for 4 days only 45 minutes from home.

Thanks to all of the sponsors.  I'll be sure to hit them up when I'm in search of new gear......like this weekend.

aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Great job Jed!  I had a lot of fun and learned how to fish for crappie.  I even went out on Lake WA today and landed over 2 dozen.  I'm hooked!  See you all next year~

Jimbob45

• If you don’t take that first step to the next adventure, you’ll never go anywhere.
  • Herring
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
It was a blast!  Thank you for your hard work Jed .  It is something to look forward to every year!
Hobie outback
Hobie Pro Angler

1st  2018 Chum Derby
1st 2018 AOTY 1966 pts

jed

• ORC_Safety
  • Salmon
  • With a But like mine, you'd want to flaunt it too.
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Hi guys, I've been trying to post pix up on here with no success. I was able to post on the Brownlee Crappie Shootout Facebook page if you would like to see them.

IdahoSkies

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Thanks for putting this one together again.  The effort really shows.  It was a fun one.

loreglas

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
Just wanted to thank Jed for the great time I had at the shootout. i caught all the fish on the lure Jed gave me and won a hundred dollar gift certificate from the Kayak shed. On the way home yesterday at Biggs jct.I saw the guys heading to the Bonneville Bass Bonanza, maybe next year can try that one too. Thanks again Jed and it was nice to put faces with all the NWKA people
Hobie Outback   Tarpon 120
9th place Brownlee Crappie Shootout 2017

Dark Tuna

• Lingcod
  • "Dark Tuna?"
  • Date Registered: Aug 2014
Thank you to Jed and all the people behind the scenes!   The fundraiser is toward a great cause and the fishing was great fun.

Launching at the park was easy.  Though the water was still low there was plenty enough for the handful of powerboats to launch.  Weather was great but for the few minutes of thunder on the horizon and some wind blustering during the first part of the presentations.   Best yet, the fish tacos were awesome.

It's a haul getting there from my neck of the woods, but we'll be there again next year schedule permitting!

2015 Jackson Big Tuna (tandem) (dark forest)
2016 Hobie Outback LE (screamin' orange)
2014 KC Kayaks K12 (the better half's, in camo)
2015 Jackson Kraken 13.5 (bluefin)

Raymarine Dragonfly; BB Angler Aces; Kokatat Hydrus 3L SuperNova Angler Dry Suit; Stohlquist Fisherman PFD

anything