Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:29:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Inexpensive setup for a beginner?  (Read 3259 times)

avid

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2017
I just got my first kayak and am excited to start doing some fishing. Problem is, I am basically a noob, and I'm not sure where to start. After buying all the kayak equipment, I'm looking to spend as little as is reasonable on the angling side for now.

I'm interested in catching all kinds of fish, but figure I probably need to narrow it down while I get started. Since I'll be around the Seattle area, would trout and salmon a good goal? I've also got a crab pot and crawfish trap ready to go. Since I definitely want to do some crabbing, it would also be nice if I could fish for some flounder or whatever I can after dropping the crab pot.

After browsing this forum, I'm thinking I'll start off with a medium-weight Ugly Stik with 10-lb test and hit up a nearby lake to see if I can find any gullible trout. I'd like to get a single rod for now and can get another later as needed. I'm especially not sure what kind of tackle I'll need. What kind of hooks, lures, bait, sinkers, etc, should I be trying out?

I've found that there is so much information available on the subject, it's "like drinking from a firehose", and I'm less sure of what to get than I was before I started reading about it! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Spot

• Administrator
  • Sturgeon
  • Cabby Strong!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2007
Buy what fits your budget and feels good in your hand.  There'll be time for upgrades once you know what you like and what you don't.

-Mark-
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  --Mark Twain

Sponsors and Supporters:
Team Daiwa        Next Adventure       Kokatat Immersion Gear

Tournament Results:
2008 AOTY 1st   2008 ORC 1st  2009 AOTY 1st  2009 NA Sturgeon Derby 1st  2012 Salmon Slayride 3rd  2013 ORC 3rd  2013 NA Sturgeon Derby 2nd  2016 NA Chinook Showdown 3rd  2020 BCS 2nd   2022 BCS 1st

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I was where you are.  I get it.

Trout and salmon?  You're talking about very different-sized fish and I can't think of a "one rod" solution for that.

DISCLAIMER: This is all subjective and entirely my own personal preference, but if I were going to chase trout, I'd start with a LIGHT or MEDIUM-LIGHT Ugly Stik spinning rod from Wal-Mart and pair it to an inexpensive spinning reel, like a 2500-size Shimano Sedona (they're smooth and cheap) as a starting set-up.

For a casting reel, if that's what you want, look at the Abu Garcia Black Max.  Good adjustments and a good drag.

A MEDIUM Ugly Stik would work, but it's a little on the stiff side for me for catching trout.

Whatever kind of setup - spinning or casting - I'd use 10# mono as a backing to a 10# braided line for the mainline, then, for trout, I'd use 4# - 6# mono as a leader.  The mono backing is to reduce the amount of braided line I need to fill the reel, and the braided lines have a smaller diameter that match up with lighter monofilament leaders.

SECOND DISCLAIMER: I fish only with a fly-rod these days and no one has to pay any attention to my recommendations for a conventional set-up, but I used a nearly identical rig for years, catching everything from palm-sized sunfish to bruiser largemouth bass.  It's a cheap, durable, and effective setup.

At Wal-Mart, the Ugly Stick and Sedona will cost about $30 each, add in some small spinners and swivels, a bag of hooks and some PowerBait, and you can walk out with what you need to catch fish for less than $100.

Good luck.  Read others' suggestions, and have fun. :)
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 09:23:05 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Alyssa

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
I agree with Tinker that, for trout (and quite a few other species of freshwater fish), a medium is more than you need. But if you could shell out for two rods, a light and medium rod could have you covered for most freshwater species. I'd use 4lb on the light rod and probably 10lb on the medium. It really comes down to what you're fishing for.

I love Ugly Stiks. My favorite rod is my Ugly Stik ultralite. I'm not the most knowledgeable about reel "mechanics" and all to make specific and detailed recommendations, but my favorite two reels both happen to be Abu Garcia spinning reels. (I still need to get and acquaint myself with baitcasting reels, so can't offer  insight on those).

It's a little dated, but I really like the book "The Art of Freshwater Fishing." It provides easy to read general information on everything from lake turnover, basic fish biology, equipment, and a large section devoted to various species of North American gamefish from bass to sunfish to crappies to catfish to stream trout to steelhead and salmon (and what are some gear and techniques to use). And you can pick up used copies for cheap on Amazon. Like I said, may be a little dated, but at least gives great basic information to get you pointed in the right direction without the whole "drinking from a fire hose" effect.

https://www.amazon.com/Art-Freshwater-Fishing-How-Angler/dp/0865730725

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Alyssa

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
Scratch that book recommendation, it's this one I own (not sure if it's a later edition of the other one or a completely separate book):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/1589230094/ref=pd_aw_sim_14_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WCKRH5AWGN0PAH6C8BE5&dpPl=1&dpID=51OuHxV3TBL

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Shin09

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Although I too am relatively new to fishing (2 years or so), I also had the idea in the beginning to try to do one rod for it all, and quickly found out it's not gonna work.  I mostly have UglyStiks and while I haven't really fished too many rods, I have been happy with their performance, especially at the price.  Like other recommended, a light rod would be good for trout, panfish, etc.  My trout rod is a GX2, 6-6 spinning.  If you want to go to salmon, get a longer, medium, medium heavy rod.  I have the UglyStik elite, and again I have been happy with it.  I put a line counter Okuma on it and have fished it for salmon in OR as well as rockfish and halibut in AK and it's worked well. 

If you wanted to, you could probably do 2 rods, and 1 reel.  Spool it with braid so you had the strength for salmon, but not too large of line for trout. 

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Another vote for the inexpensive Ugly stik Lite 6' 6", but you can actually get away with the even cheaper Shimano Sienna 2500 spinning reel.  Load with 10# braid and whatever mono suits your target (4-6# for small fishies, 10# for larger).

This combo can handle pretty much everything from a kayak.  Tiny blue gill, all the bass, rock fish, flounder, ling's up to at least 35", etc.....

Even surf perch from the surf.

It is my primary go-to rod. 

You can collect more rods later for specific targets as you get deeper into kayak fishing.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Another vote for the inexpensive Ugly stik Lite 6' 6", but you can actually get away with the even cheaper Shimano Sienna 2500 spinning reel.  Load with 10# braid and whatever mono suits your target (4-6# for small fishies, 10# for larger).

This combo can handle pretty much everything from a kayak.  Tiny blue gill, all the bass, rock fish, flounder, ling's up to at least 35", etc.....

You can collect more rods later for specific targets as you get deeper into kayak fishing.
On the advice of a guide, I don't use braid under 20#, as it is so thin you can get a deep cut very quickly, and 20 or 30# is quite thin anyway.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Another vote for the inexpensive Ugly stik Lite 6' 6", but you can actually get away with the even cheaper Shimano Sienna 2500 spinning reel.

Yeah!  The Shimano SIENNA reel. I gave you the wrong name. Doh!   :drunken_smilie:

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008

On the advice of a guide, I don't use braid under 20#, as it is so thin you can get a deep cut very quickly, and 20 or 30# is quite thin anyway.

Sent from my RCT6213W87M using Tapatalk

Just like the advice from a zoo keeper. "Don't put your hand in the cage as you can get bitten".

Translation: Don't handle any braid under tension with your bare hands, you could get bitten.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Zach.Dennis

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2015
Even with thicker braid, 45lb,  my hands walk away destroyed during some ocean trips. When your fingers are pruned they cut super easy and you don't notice it until the drive home when your hands begin to burn.
2021 1st Place ORC
2023 1st Place ORC

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Another good option on cheap reels are the salt strikers at cabela's. I have one as a backup and they carry a "lifetime guarantee." IMO they are one of the better quality items that they slap their name onto. Don't pay list price, they go on sale frequently.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Ravensfan

• Lingcod
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: Apr 2015
A cheep trolling rod I use for trout, Kokanee, and Sockeye is the Eagle claw featherlight Kokanee rods. You can find them for $20-$30. I have mine paired with a Daiwa Laguna baitcaster $40 spooled with 17lb test mono just in case I hook into a king. [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

avid

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: May 2017
Thank you all for this detailed information! It has been incredibly helpful.

I've decided to stick with a medium Ugly Stik but am adding a light rod as well, along with a starter lure kit. I'm going to try a telescoping light rod, mostly for space saving and ease of transport. I imagine I may get a nicer one down the road. I think I'll go with mono line for now and see how that works out. I've also added the book Alyssa recommended--that sounds like it'll have some really good info for a noobie.

I'm beginning to wonder how I'm going to manage to get all my gear from the car to wherever I launch from....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Good grief!  The amount of stuff I carried with me the first couple of times was - in hindsight - hilarious.  You'll learn what you don't need to bring along soon enough.

I bought other rods along the way, but I never upgraded the Ugly Stik.  I always found a use for it.  Good choice.