Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:45:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:14:17 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: What Sunglasses Work?  (Read 5137 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Over the years, I've owned a bunch of sunglasses and every year I try to "upgrade" to a pair that gives me the X-Ray vision they all promise...

I was called over to a spot the other day to get a look at some fish, and I'm sitting there bobbing and tilting my head this way and that because all I could see was the surface of the water and a little glare.  Phooey!

I don't need X-Ray vision, but I'd like polarized lenses that actually work.

What glasses do you use?

I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
I am happy with Angler Eyes brand. I have bought them at both Sportsman's and BiMart. They are maybe $20 or so. You can spend a lot more, I know.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
I have had good success with Flying Fisherman (Calcutta I think) from Amazon.  Also, Field and Stream from Fred Meyer is a nice pair of polarized glasses for $20. 

Coulee kayaker

• Herring
  • Date Registered: May 2016
I have a couple pair of Maui Jim sunglasses, they are a bit pricey but the polarization is incredible.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I am happy with Angler Eyes brand. I have bought them at both Sportsman's and BiMart. They are maybe $20 or so. You can spend a lot more, I know.

Thank you.  I can get to a Bi-Mart and have a look.

I like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Suncloud-S-CDPPBRTT-P-Conductor-Polarized-Sunglasses/dp/B00BY3Z9VW

And I can get a hard case for them!  No more tears when I forget where I put them until I sit down.  Thank you!

I have had good success with Flying Fisherman (Calcutta I think) from Amazon.  Also, Field and Stream from Fred Meyer is a nice pair of polarized glasses for $20. 

I have - maybe had - some Flying Fisherman glasses, but not the Calcutta.  The brown lenses on mine didn't get the job done, but I'll take another look.  And there's a Fred Meyer near the Bi-Mart so I can see two in one trip.  Bonus!

Thanks.

I have a couple pair of Maui Jim sunglasses, they are a bit pricey but the polarization is incredible.

You know, the one time I saw Maui Jim's I thought they were fine, but side-by-side with a polarizing filter for a 35mm camera lens, I wasn't bowled over - but nothing else has come close, so Maui Jim's may be as good as it gets for sunglasses.

Yeah, they're pricey.  They might be the my upgrade pair two years from now.  Maybe three.

Sunglasses might be like my journey to a Kokatat dry suit.  I started out looking for what cost the least and by the time I was finally happy, I'd spent enough to buy two dry suits.

Thanks everyone.  I appreciate your suggestions.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 05:48:51 PM by Tinker »

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
I have polarized with reader lenses from Bimart. Helps when tying knots and such.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I have polarized with reader lenses from Bimart. Helps when tying knots and such.

When I try to tie knots with sunglasses on, even with reading glasses in front of the dark lenses, I may as well be at the bottom of a well.  It wasn't like that not terribly long ago.

Someone should have told me it would be like this back when I was younger - I'd have lived larger.

That's two suggestions for Bi-Mart.  I'll definitely stop in and see what they have.  Thank you.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
I've had really good results from my Peppers brand polorized sunglasses.  They really do work for removing the glare. 

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
Costa Del Mar.  Pricey, but extremely effective.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

• Date Registered: Oct 2009
Since I wear blended lens glasses, I have been using Cocoon "Fitover" sunglasses, brown/copper colored lens for several years.
These run about $50 and work really well. They are not the most stylish sunglasses, but the polarized lens are fantastic.

snopro

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jun 2008
I'm sure this question will have as many answers as, "what's the best kayak?".

Does polarization really change much from one brand to the next?  I'd guess not that much.  Lens clarity does seem to change between the bargin shades and more expensive brands. Early in my fishing career cheap plastic polarized shades gave me headaches.

One thing that's been skipped over is how tint plays a role in the ability to see fish in different water conditions. I use shades of brown for most freshwater conditions.

I've been happily using Smith for years.  Polarchromatic lenses to allow use in lower light conditions.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I've had really good results from my Peppers brand polorized sunglasses.  They really do work for removing the glare.

Peppers?  I haven't heard that name.  I'll definitely look for them.

Costa Del Mar.  Pricey, but extremely effective.

If they work, price doesn't matter!  Wait, yes it does.  I left a pair of Serengeti sunglasses on the bottom of the Elk River and I still hope to snag them and drag them home.  Costa Del Mar glasses show up on Sierra Trading Post occasionally at deep discounts.  Thanks, Lee.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I'm sure this question will have as many answers as, "what's the best kayak?".

Does polarization really change much from one brand to the next?  I'd guess not that much.  Lens clarity does seem to change between the bargin shades and more expensive brands. Early in my fishing career cheap plastic polarized shades gave me headaches.

One thing that's been skipped over is how tint plays a role in the ability to see fish in different water conditions. I use shades of brown for most freshwater conditions.

I've been happily using Smith for years.  Polarchromatic lenses to allow use in lower light conditions.

The best kayak is whatever one I'm in when I get to go fishing!  I'm sure you're right, but since I've been guessing wrong about glasses to reduce glare for years, this question is a last ditch effort to find some that work, and will help me shoot to the top in AOTY points!   ;D   

Good question about polarizing films.  I've presumed the quality of the film on sunglass lenses does vary widely because it varies significantly between brands of polarized camera lens filters, but maybe it doesn't change that much in sunglasses.

Smith glasses also pop up on sale now and then, and I'll start watching for them.

Since I wear blended lens glasses, I have been using Cocoon "Fitover" sunglasses, brown/copper colored lens for several years.  These run about $50 and work really well. They are not the most stylish sunglasses, but the polarized lens are fantastic.

Let's see, orange dry suit with color-coordinated bright yellow PFD and fishing hat, and light grey, nearly white, fishing gloves... style does matter!  Not.

I'm going to need eyeglasses sooner or later.  I'll remember Cocoon "Fitovers" when I do.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 02:24:40 AM by Tinker »

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I'm another happy Smith wearer. My lenses are a brown tint and work well for me in a variety of water colors and bottom conditions. Simply put, I can see fish that can't be seen without polarized lenses, and when I hand somebody else my glasses they can see them too (even non-fishy people). Haven't done any side-by-side comparisons with other polarized glasses, but I'm happy so I don't feel I need to.

The Smiths have been great for scratches. They're going on about three years now and I don't exactly baby them. I've had Oakleys in the past, and at three years they'd be due for lens replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13