Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:10:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 06:48:41 PM]

by jed
[Today at 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[Today at 11:35:40 AM]

[Today at 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: WTB mirage drive  (Read 2859 times)

blownglass

Looking for a mirage drive .

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 19, 2017, 05:38:42 PM by blownglass »

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Not trying to imply anything, but you know this reads like you're trying to outfit two stolen Hobies, right?  When they get nicked off the roof rack, the seats and drives don't normally go with them. Some folks try to get stolen boats reunited with their owners when they find out they might be hot, so I wanted to make sure you're aware of the possibility if that's what's going on here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Not trying to imply anything, but you know this reads like you're trying to outfit two stolen Hobies, right?  When they get nicked off the roof rack, the seats and drives don't normally go with them. Some folks try to get stolen boats reunited with their owners when they find out they might be hot, so I wanted to make sure you're aware of the possibility if that's what's going on here.

When I purchased my hobie it was missing the drive, but the kayak had everything else included, I was wary of purchasing a "hot" kayak too, but the owner had proof of purchase. In this case he huli'd the kayak at Pacific City and didn't have the drive tethered. The Huli was enough to shy him away from kayaking for a while.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012

When I purchased my hobie it was missing the drive, but the kayak had everything else included, I was wary of purchasing a "hot" kayak too, but the owner had proof of purchase. In this case he huli'd the kayak at Pacific City and didn't have the drive tethered. The Huli was enough to shy him away from kayaking for a while.

Point being you made an inquiry and the story was reasonable.  That's all that is going on here - making an inquiry as to how someone came into possession of 2 hobies or a tandem that is missing seats and drive. 

blownglass

it does actually sound as if you are trying to imply just that .

Low_Sky

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
I'm really not, but I can understand how it might sound like that.

A. Maybe you huli'ed your Oasis or matching single Hobies and need replacements because nothing was installed correctly or tied down.
B.  Maybe you got a great deal on boats from somebody that did just that and wants out of the sport.
C.  Maybe you knowingly bought hot boats on Craigslist.
D.  Maybe you unknowingly bought hot boats on Craigslist.
E.  Maybe you're the kind of person that steals boats and then seeks help with outfitting them on a forum in the area that you stole them from (seems unlikely).
F.  Maybe you want to make two custom wooden Mirage drive sit on top paddle boards.
G.  Maybe you don't even kayak, just a Hobie parts collector and like to have two of everything.

Sometimes people in scenario D feel buyers remorse when they find out that smoking deal they got is because their new boat was stolen earlier that day. That exact scenario played out in NCKA territory a few months ago. Just wanted to say something in case that was going on here and you didn't know.

2016 Hobie Revolution 16
2014 Perception Triumph 13

blownglass

A. Maybe you huli'ed your Oasis or matching single Hobies and need replacements because nothing was installed correctly or tied down.
B.  Maybe you got a great deal on boats from somebody that did just that and wants out of the sport.
E.  Maybe you're the kind of person that steals boats and then seeks help with outfitting them on a forum in the area that you stole them from (seems unlikely).
F.  Maybe you want to make two custom wooden Mirage drive sit on top paddle boards.
G.  Maybe you don't even kayak, just a Hobie parts collector and like to have two of everything.

Sometimes people in scenario D feel buyers remorse when they find out that smoking deal they got is because their new boat was stolen earlier that day. That exact scenario played out in NCKA territory a few months ago. Just wanted to say something in case that was going on here and you didn't know.

Honestly I do t see why it matters . I need a mirage drive.  I have bought two boats on this form from members over the years. One being a Hobie.  Stuff breaks, Lost and old.  Used cheaper equipment is something I like to get when I can get cheap because we all need stuff .
And I don't appreciate the implication that I may be a guy who goes around stealing boats.  If you have a mirage drive then how much you want for it ?
If not then just shut up and mind your own business.  Your just benig a troll

crash

• Salmon

Honestly I do t see why it matters . I need a mirage drive.  I have bought two boats on this form from members over the years. One being a Hobie.  Stuff breaks, Lost and old.  Used cheaper equipment is something I like to get when I can get cheap because we all need stuff .
And I don't appreciate the implication that I may be a guy who goes around stealing boats.  If you have a mirage drive then how much you want for it ?
If not then just shut up and mind your own business.  Your just benig a troll

It matters because we look out for other people.  That's a big part of the community aspect of this site. 

blownglass

Well I didn't steal any boat and as far as I know I never baught one either .
That being said.  I would like to get back to trying to buy something . Maybe you can jump on the next guy who want to buy something and accuse him of being a their too.  . 

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I tried to buy a mirage drive from a guy on Craigslist once for a wood kayak I built.  I had a feeling it was stolen because:
A) The guy was selling it for far less than it was worth and appeared to know nothing about one.
B) Would not give me his phone number so I could call him to meet him.  He demanded to have my number then quit replying to emails and took it off Craigslist.
C) Mirage drives and Hobie kayaks usually go hand in hand. There are many reasons not to have the kayak, but
still have the drive, but for the life of him, he couldn't think of one.

For what it is worth, if you need spare parts, or a spare drive they are easy to find: https://nextadventure.net/shop/gear/paddle/hobie-parts?p=6 or http://www.kayakshed.com/shop/kayak-gear/hobie-mirage-drive-parts/.  If you are not near any of those two, https://www.hobie.com/dealers/

crash

• Salmon
I tried to buy a mirage drive [...] once for a wood kayak I built.

Have you seen the boat that CLC and waterlust collaborated on?  Wood build sailing boat with sleeping berth that accepts a mirage drive. They took it 1000 miles through the inter coastal waterway on the east coast. Beautiful, functional, amazing.

craig

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2008
I tried to buy a mirage drive [...] once for a wood kayak I built.

Have you seen the boat that CLC and waterlust collaborated on?  Wood build sailing boat with sleeping berth that accepts a mirage drive. They took it 1000 miles through the inter coastal waterway on the east coast. Beautiful, functional, amazing.

Yes I have. I had thought about doing something like that for a retirement trip.  It would be a blast.

Fungunnin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
I have one hobie and two drives ... is that ok? Or do I need the communities approval first?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
I have one hobie and two drives ... is that ok? Or do I need the communities approval first?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk
No ya better sell the hot one on here  >:D

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

"We're going to go fishing