Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 18, 2024, 07:40:17 PM]

[April 18, 2024, 07:25:36 PM]

by jed
[April 18, 2024, 01:45:57 PM]

by PNW
[April 18, 2024, 11:35:40 AM]

[April 18, 2024, 10:02:38 AM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Just got a new kayak and need tips  (Read 2501 times)

rogerdodger

• Fish Retriever
  • Sturgeon
  • roger
  • Date Registered: Dec 2012
Don't stand up in your kayak, you guys are funny....lol

Yeah?  Well, did you ever try to fish from a paddleboard?  Oh, wait!  That was from Roger...    :angel:

How are the sea trials going for Bullet the Blue Sky?

Are we really hijacking the new guys thread?... welcome to NWKA!

I got busy eating crab and loading the freezer with ling and rockfish but I have new fins on one of my drives and due to test them on the Blue Sky soon...
2019 Hobie Outback (Fish Retriever)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I reckon I did hijack it a bit.

Okay, back on track.  I don't know about Willamette sturgeon, so I can't help there, other than suggest that you might want to sit down when fishing for them because, as others have mentioned, they can yank you out of a kayak when you're seated, so why give them extra leverage?

So far I've only used an anchor a couple of times, and only in lakes on very windy days - and even doing that, I've startled myself more than once.  It's very different from anchoring a boat, and I believe a person needs a lot of practice before dropping an anchor.  I do, at least.

Rigging your Talon, you'll probably want a fish-finder to chase sturgeon, with all the paraphernalia that goes along with that.  In the Columbia, you probably want to consider immersion gear for cold water, but that would depend on where you are.  You'll want a sharp knife attached to your PFD to free yourself in an emergency.

Everything else is pretty standard fishing and safety gear.

The Talon is longer than 10-feet, so you need an Invasive Species Permit to use it in Oregon waters, if you don't already have one.  You're okay within the mainstem of the Columbia but need it in the Willamette.  Check the exceptions here: http://www.oregon.gov/OSMB/boater-info/Pages/Aquatic-Invasive-Species-Program-Frequently-Asked-Questions.aspx.

You need to practice getting back into your kayak in case you fall out/off of it, both with and without the outriggers attached.  I'd suggest you flip it over with the outriggers attached and see what it takes to put it right side up again because weirder things have happened than flipping a kayak with outriggers.

The reason I asked if your previous experience is in boats is because it seems to me that you may be trying to make a kayak behave like a boat.  They don't, and it really is worthwhile to find those differences when you're in a controlled environment.

Others may add more ideas and Matt gave you location suggestions, so you're off the starting line.

Good luck and good fishing!
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

• Date Registered: Jun 2017
Ok I realize it would be idiotic to try and fight a sturgeon standing. I only stand when I bass fish.

I guess when it comes to a fighting fish. How do you fight it? Just keep the tip of your rod twords the front of your boat?
What about if it starts towing you into a boat or something?

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
Ok I realize it would be idiotic to try and fight a sturgeon standing. I only stand when I bass fish.

I guess when it comes to a fighting fish. How do you fight it? Just keep the tip of your rod twords the front of your boat?

With big fish you want to keep the tip toward the bow to reduce the leverage of tipping over. 

If a big fish is towing you towards something dangerous, be smart about it and do what you got to do to stay safe.
If you are being towed towards another boat, you have to decide if it is worth it to pursue the fight or cut it loose.
Hoot and holler in excitement as a fisherman should to get others to notice you have one on (unless there are fur bags around, then keep quiet).

When there are a lot of boats around, some will see you fighting a big fish and make a solid effort to give you clearance, as they hope you will do the same for them.
Then there are the "privileged" boat owners out there that don't make any effort to move, as they feel that because they are not legally required to assist another human being, they won't. 

The beauty of kayak fishing, is that you can get into waters that can be too difficult for boats to either access or want to fish do to width, depth or other obstacles in the river.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 02:58:08 PM by INSAYN »

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015

1) Give 'em line and keep it taut. Less drag.

2) Your entire boat is nothing but drag to a fish. Act accordingly.

3) Use your rudder to point. Away from where the fish wants to go, then pedal a bit.

Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

1) Give 'em line and keep it taut. Less drag.

2) Your entire boat is nothing but drag to a fish. Act accordingly.

3) Use your rudder to point. Away from where the fish wants to go, then pedal a bit.

The Eagle Talon 12 doesn't have pedals and not sure about a rudder option. 
However, this is really good advise for a Hobie or other pedal powered craft though.  8)

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

Hydrospider

You've made a good decision getting involved here and looking for advice.
Just be careful with some of the "wisdom" given. While there are a lot of strong and safe boater/anglers here, there are also a few posers that give advice freely. If you check out a members past contributions you can usually tell who is for real and who is pretending.

I wanted to support you on your interest in standing up for sight fishing. It's not just for flat water bass fishing but for river work too. Standing in a kayak is not that difficult with a little bit of athleticism and time training.
I might suggest dumping the outrigger training wheels and just put in the time and work to be successful.
The advantages gained are worth it.
I stand in all of my boats except for 1 and have also used a kayak/SUP hybrid on rivers. Personally it comes down to having a solid spot for my feet and when I do identify that spot, I use some ConSeal or Hydro-turf for added grip and comfort.
I also use a balance board for off season training.
Good luck in your standing goals and welcome to the NWKA.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 11:05:04 AM by Hydrospider »

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Just be careful with some of the "wisdom" given. While there are a lot of strong and safe boater/anglers here, there are also a few posers that give advice freely. If you check out a members past contributions you can usually tell who is for real and who is pretending.

I wanted to support you on your interest in standing up for sight fishing. It's not just for flat water bass fishing but for river work too. Standing in a kayak is not that difficult with a little bit of athleticism and time training.
I might suggest dumping the outrigger training wheels and just put in the time and work to be successful.
The advantages gained are worth it.
I stand in all of my boats except for 1 and have also used a kayak/SUP hybrid on rivers. Personally it comes down to having a solid spot for my feet and when I do identify that spot, I use some ConSeal or Hydro-turf for added grip and comfort.
I also use a balance board for off season training.
Good luck in your standing goals and welcome to the NWKA.
Sit down foo befo ya fall in ... lol. I stand from time to time mostly to release low back and hip pain a stand assistance strap is a good thing to have, in the Propels I use the crank arms to help get off the chair.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon

Man I really hope you were not referring to my past  contributions here as being a poser in your eyes.

I will admit I can get obnoxious depending on the topic, but never on safety.  I take kayak safety seriously, especially when "freely" providing advice to new comers.
 :-\

Hydrospider

Sit down foo befo ya fall in ... lol.

No, I won't sit down and I absolutely will fall in.
Developed core strength from standing in kayaks or on boards will help alleviate that lower back and hip pain. You also won't need help to get out of a kayak chair. Standing on SOTs is common ops in mainstream kayak fishing. Those who put in the work to master standing will take a lot of swims. Every swim is followed by a "self rescue".  A skill that too many find challenging. When you finally become proficient in standing, "self rescue" becomes just getting back on again.

Man I really hope you were not referring to my past  contributions here as being a poser in your eyes.

I will admit I can get obnoxious depending on the topic, but never on safety.  I take kayak safety seriously, especially when "freely" providing advice to new comers.

Nope, not ever INSAYN. I enjoy your contributions and have only thought of your posts as helpful and accurate.

Here is the hydro-turf on the T140. Makes standing more enjoyable and successful.
Also a the style of anchors that I use in rivers. Another developed skill that takes time.

So I may go out and give it a shot this weekend at the swan island hole. How much would a Oregon license cost me since I'm from Vancouver

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 11:57:54 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Mojo Jojo

• Sturgeon
  • Suffers from Yakfishiolus Catchyitis
  • Date Registered: May 2014
Sit down foo befo ya fall in ... lol.

No, I won't sit down and I absolutely will fall in.
Developed core strength from standing in kayaks or on boards will help alleviate that lower back and hip pain. You also won't need help to get out of a kayak chair. Standing on SOTs is common ops in mainstream kayak fishing. Those who put in the work to master standing will take a lot of swims. Every swim is followed by a "self rescue".  A skill that too many find challenging. When you finally become proficient in standing, "self rescue" becomes just getting back on again.

Nope, not ever INSAYN. I enjoy your contributions and have only thought of your posts as helpful and accurate.

Here is the hydro-turf on the T140. Makes standing more enjoyable and successful.
Also a the style of anchors that I use in rivers. Another developed skill that takes time.
My standing issues from sitting too long and the pain I get is derived from decimating my right hip driving garbage truck for 17 years then getting a head injury that put me down for a year and a half, once I became inactive arthritis took over and with the head issue I can't get as active as much as I used to.

Shannon
2013 Jackson Big Tuna "Aircraft Carrier"
2011 Native Mariner Propel "My pickup truck"
2015 Native Slayer Propel "TLW's ride"
20?? Cobra Fish-N-Dive “10yo grandson’s”
20?? Emotion Sparky “5 yr old granddaughter’s”

Paddled out on the columbia today in camas and used a sand bag rig to plunk from shore caught five fish one was a small oversized. Didn't get to fight them in the kayak becauseth current was too strong. but I am able to get my line wayyyyy out there now.

anything