Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:36:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Salem/Silverton OR Area Fishing  (Read 1924 times)

eastonkayaker

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Sep 2011
Looking for info on kayak fishing Salem/Silverton area. I know the Willamette is there, curious about reservoirs, lakes etc. Can't find many fishing reports and don't see a lot on google maps.

Thanks,

williamesch

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: Feb 2015
What kind of fishing are you trying to do?

2016 Angler of the day- 1st place
2019 ORC - 3rd place

2016 hobie outback
2019 old town topwater
2021 Wilderness systems recon

bb2fish

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2013
your profile says you're from Maryland...  Are you going to be staying in the Salem/Stayton area for vacation?  Just wondering how far from Salem you'd want to travel to kayak fish?   Detroit Reservoir is pretty close, you should have seen that on google maps -- there
 you can catch trout, kokanee.  There's Green Peter Reservoir -- trout, kokanee, bass.  There's Pacific City -- ocean fishing for rockfish ling cod (better have good immersion gear for 54F water).  Could be some salmon fishing depending on when you'll be in the area.

eastonkayaker

• Herring
Guess I need to update my profile  :). We live down in NorCal, do a lot of Rving.

Any kind of fishing, I always bring my fly rod, plus trout and bass gear. We stayed in Silverton a few weeks ago saw the small reservoir there but not much else. Visited Silver Falls State Park, but didn't see anyone fishing?

Pinstriper

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2015
Guess I need to update my profile  :). We live down in NorCal, do a lot of Rving.

Any kind of fishing, I always bring my fly rod, plus trout and bass gear. We stayed in Silverton a few weeks ago saw the small reservoir there but not much else. Visited Silver Falls State Park, but didn't see anyone fishing?

If you want to fish with a crowd, we can direct you to the combat fishing zones....

I was just thinking the other day about the reservoir just outside Silverton. I have seen boats putting in there but never fished it.
Let's eat, Grandma !
Let's eat Grandma !

Punctuation. It saves lives.

Drifter2007

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2017
I have heard that people do pretty good at the pond in Silverton earlier in the year. I believe it gets stocked with a fair number of trout in the spring. I would head east of Salem on hwy 22 and fish Big Cliff Res, which is just before Detroit Lake. The advantage to Big Cliff for kayaks is there isn't a real ramp anymore so no trailer-ed boats at all. Very deep and cold lake. The water is fed from the bottom of Detroit Lake.
1991 Desert Storm (USMC)
2004-2005 OIF (US ARMY)
2006-2007 OEF (US ARMY)
2009-2010 OIF II (US Army)
2016 Retired!

dannybay

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Feb 2012
I second the Big Cliff recommendation.  Big Cliff (for trout) and the Willamette River (for smallies), were my favorite spots when I lived in Salem.  Big Cliff can be effected quite a bit by when they released water but it was such a quiet and beautiful paddle that I didn't mind when the bite was off.  Also, if you give it a try, make sure you head up the "finger" towards the Detroit Dam as well as out in the main reservoir.    The "finger" is narrower, has a little current and is colder the farther up you go so it holds a lot of nice trout and did not seem to be effected as much by the down stream water releases at the Big Cliff Dam end of the reservoir. 
2012 Hobie Outback
2015 Hobie Revo 13
Don

eastonkayaker

• Herring
Thanks for the info, Big Cliff looks interesting, will have to give it a try when we are back up that way.

BigBore

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2010
There is good fishing at silverfalls park little native trout and lots of them. I used to practice my fly fishing there. Barrel rolls mostly not lots of room for a back cast a big fish would be 12 inches.
NRS Pike Inflatable

eastonkayaker

• Herring
There is good fishing at silverfalls park little native trout and lots of them. I used to practice my fly fishing there. Barrel rolls mostly not lots of room for a back cast a big fish would be 12 inches.

I haven't fished Silver Falls since I was a kid, my grandparents owned 40 acres just outside the park, spent the summers with them, picked strawberries for spending money then hung out at the park swimming and fishing. Will have to take my fly rod next time and give it a try. The day we spent at park this summer didn't see anyone fishing good to know there are fish still there.