Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:04:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Hobie mirage and hip problems?  (Read 5257 times)

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
My wife had a labral tear and some other hip issues that required surgery.  The doc said that motion to kick the pedals will likely never be a good fit for her.  I developed right hip bursitis after some excessive leg training and now it bothers me too, but not as bad as what you're describing.  The bursitis also manifested as low back pain and is much better after a cortisone injection. 

Pain is just weakness leaving the body, unless you were on the army, then it's probably arthritis ;-)

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

So true, Lee. Go in young come out old
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Another reason for me to keep on paddling.   ;D

-Mark-

:icon_thumleft:
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
I did a lot of pedaling the last few weekends and noticed my hips get a little sore. I've stopped putting my feet inside the stirrups and am able to have a little bit of a wider stance on my hobie pedals. The hip tightness went away pretty much immediately. I'm also relatively tall at 6'2 and have a wide frame as well. Definitely getting the right body geometry for you can make a big difference.

• Date Registered: Oct 2009
For the record, I have been using "heel straps", a idea I stole shamelessly from Roadrunner, a Hobie Guru.....around 2010.
The heel straps allow you to "rest your heels" on the pedals and IMHO, are more comfortable for long periods of pedaling.
If you are interested, I can find a link from the Hobie forum.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
  • Hobie Tandem Island, Hobie Outback
  • Date Registered: Jun 2016
For the record, I have been using "heel straps", a idea I stole shamelessly from Roadrunner, a Hobie Guru.....around 2010.
The heel straps allow you to "rest your heels" on the pedals and IMHO, are more comfortable for long periods of pedaling.

https://www.hobie.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=39389&hilit=heel+straps
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
I like the heel strap idea. It makes sense to me. Reel Mccoy Honu and myself have all this year started to have similar symptoms, prob due to a late spring and the consequent frequent pedaling fishing time on the water. Honu and I pedal Outbacks and Reel a Revo. We typically go out for 5-6 hour trips. After one days fishing, when driving home I had excruciating pain when moving my right leg from the accelerator to the brake. I thank Dr Steelhead for the heel strap idea and cant wait to try it.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing -- absolutely nothing -- half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." Said the water rat.  The Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame,

gnomodom

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Sep 2015
Oh man, the heel strap idea looks great. I might try that out.

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
I found this warm up stretch that might help. and a way to stretch the TFL out after time on the water.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010

+1, I put heel straps on a couple of months ago and I am less fatigued and no leg pain after a day on the water.  I made them out of tie down strap just like Dr. SteelheadCatcher described in the thread posted above.

Dan_E
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:30:22 PM by Dan_E »

YAKalicious

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Mar 2009
I wonder if part of the issue is how close the peddles are on the hobie drives..  It doesn't really align the hip the same as on say a bike.  If you look at how your hips splay at your feet while seated, then look at the distance between your drive pedal arms...  Do they match up?  Mine sure don't.. 

Just an observation

reelmccoy

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Nov 2015
I'm definitely going to try the heel straps!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Date Registered: Oct 2009
 Unless you are trying to "power pedal"....IE, pulling back on the Hobie pedal straps to increase speed, the heel straps allow you to rest your heel into the strap and "twist your feet inwards or outwards"  as you pedal. It makes a world of difference if you pedal for some distance......as an example, today I down rigged fished Lost Lake, towing a 4" quickfish and a 4# weight at 35' depth.....covered about 5.5 miles in 3.25 hours, avg speed about 1.7 MPH.....no stopping except to reel in 2 fish....and I am not hurting or wiped out.....My age is over 75  ;)

Idaho Brit

• Lingcod
Unless you are trying to "power pedal"....IE, pulling back on the Hobie pedal straps to increase speed, the heel straps allow you to rest your heel into the strap and "twist your feet inwards or outwards"  as you pedal. It makes a world of difference if you pedal for some distance......as an example, today I down rigged fished Lost Lake, towing a 4" quickfish and a 4# weight at 35' depth.....covered about 5.5 miles in 3.25 hours, avg speed about 1.7 MPH.....no stopping except to reel in 2 fish....and I am not hurting or wiped out.....My age is over 75  ;)

Great tips Dr S. There's hope for me then. I made my heel straps today. Trying them out tomorrow on Lake CDA.

anything