Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 15, 2024, 09:19:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[Today at 03:27:21 PM]

[Today at 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[Today at 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: AOTD Help  (Read 2392 times)

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Well I'm officially paided up for AOTD but now I need to start thinking about gear.

I've never fished this tourney so I'm not sure what to expect / bring. Shiuld I just load the truck up with everything I've got?

I dont have a decender,  is there somewhere to  pick one up local?

Looking forward to it.
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Sunset Bay is the ocean.  Pay attention to the species list and just bring what you'd normally bring.

If you can't find a descender locally, check the ODFW website for how to rig plastic fish grips as a descending device.  Wait!  Here it is:

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/MRP/recompression/docs/FishGrip_HowToMake.pdf
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
Most of the species will take all manner if jigs so bring an assortment. There are probably a lot of good tackle shops but I like to pop in the Stockade in Winchester Bay for advice and gear and they ought to have descenders, as well.

Captain Redbeard

• Lauren
  • Global Moderator
  • Sturgeon
Like others have said your usual ocean gear for the species permitted. If you like crabbing bring gear for that too (and let me know if you need bait!). Also a lot of people fish in the bay for salmon before or after the tourney, or on tourney day if the conditions are out of their comfort range.

Last year was the first year I made it out to the reef and I found it very similar to fishing at Depoe Bay in terms of depth and desired tackle, so 1-4oz. jigs for rockfish/lingcod/cabezon.

Justin

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2011
Sounds like i'm loading up the truck. Anybody fishing friday?
aka - JoeSnuffy

Stand UP! Stand Up and Shout!!!

http://www.youtube.com/user/OutdoorsJustin?feature=mhee

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015
Sounds like i'm loading up the truck. Anybody fishing friday?
I'll be down there for the week and plan to fish every day if the conditions are doable. If the ocean is uncooperative the plan is to find tide water to fish. The Rogue is looking like a good option. I'm not familiar with any of the rivers or bays down there so it'll be a learning experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
What is this AOTD and how does one register?  I haven't seen anything about it.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Dan_E

• Lingcod
  • Formerly known as Indyflyer
  • Date Registered: Dec 2010

Facebook: "Sunset Bay Angler of the Day" tournament.  Has the details for registering via paypal, or can register at the Captain's meeting on Friday night or at the launch on Saturday morning. 

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I'll be down there for the week and plan to fish every day if the conditions are doable. If the ocean is uncooperative the plan is to find tide water to fish. The Rogue is looking like a good option. I'm not familiar with any of the rivers or bays down there so it'll be a learning experience.

The Rogue is doing pretty good for salmon right now.  It's a bit of a drive, but it's producing, and launching from Lee's Landing, near the US 101 bridge, is a good option.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin

We've tried to keep you in the dark.  Rats!  Cat's out of the bag, now.   :laugh:

Saturday, August 26th, at Sunset Bay.  7:00 AM launch, and 2:30PM cut off.  You can find the details about the Challenge and registration information on Facebook by searching for "Sunset Bay Angler of the Day".

It's what all the cool kids will be doing on the 26th.  Hope to see you there.

Casey

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Oct 2015

The Rogue is doing pretty good for salmon right now.  It's a bit of a drive, but it's producing, and launching from Lee's Landing, near the US 101 bridge, is a good option.
Thanks for the info, Tinker! It's not looking like we are going to get a lot of good time on the ocean throughout the week, so driving is the best option that I know of so far. Sounds like if the salmon fishing sucks there's some good smallmouth fishing down that way too. I refuse to waste a full week off work. Fish will be caught. AOTY upgrades must happen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yaksurf

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
I'll be fishing Friday probably for salmon.  I'm in site D 31 starting Thursday night.  Bring the normal rockfish gear and salmon trolling gear for the back up plan if the ocean is messy.  The Bites on tackle shop in Coos bay is a great shop and they have a lot of local knowledge.
1st Place 2010 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
1st Place 2011 AOTD Sunset Bay Tournament
4th Place Gemme Shelter Six Annual Tournament
3rd Place 2012 Sunset Bay AOTD
3rd Place 2013 Sunset Bay AOTD
1st Place 2014 Sunset Bay AOTD

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Just a reminder that ocean Coho retention is closed down here and Sunset Bay is regulated as open ocean, not a bay.  We can't retain Coho of any size, fin-clipped or not.

There are smallmouth in the Coquille river - ODFW would love your help getting rid of them - and there's a paved ramp with lots of parking at Sturdivant Park in Coquille.  It's an easy drive from Coos Bay.  I haven't heard that salmon are entering the Coquille and the boats aren't parading yet.

Stay flexible and there's a lot of fun fishing in the area.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:06:44 AM by Tinker »

boxofrain

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: May 2006
Just a reminder that ocean Coho retention is closed down here and Sunset Bay is regulated as open ocean, not a bay.  We can't retain Coho of any size, fin-clipped or not.

There are smallmouth in the Coquille river - ODFW would love your help getting rid of them - and there's a paved ramp with lots of parking at Sturdivant Park in Coquille.  It's an easy drive from Coos Bay.  I haven't heard that salmon are entering the Coquille and the boats aren't parading yet.

Stay flexible and there's a lot of fun fishing in the area.
Looks like a good reason to have a coquille river smallmouth tourney!
the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime.

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Coquille river small mouth retention tourney?  I'd be down for that! 

anything