Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:00:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Eighth Annual Sunset Bay Angler of the Day Challenge  (Read 2181 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I wandered-up for my first ATOD last Saturday and it won't be my last.

Great day.  I'd like to thank coosbayyaker - he's a great host for the event.  I needed to leave early and didn't get to meet dude - or enjoy the potluck - but reports are that a great time was had by all who were lucky enough to join in.

The wind might have co-operated a bit more, the ocean could have been a bit more friendly, and the fish could have joined the fun, but the day was sunny without being hot, and Sunset Bay is a darned scenic place to just be out on the water.  And if the fish were willingly leaping into our kayaks, where would the "Challenge" part be?

I've fished Sunset Bay before and I had a plan.  If the weather wasn't to my liking, I was going to fish the inside bay and the gulch, catch surf perch and flounders and greenlings - maybe a rockfish or two - and walk away in glory, with prizes galore.  Alas, I needed a better plan because I definitely didn't end up with prize points - or fish.

Thanks to the sponsors.  I missed the awards ceremony, but I got some great stuff in my Captain's Bag.

I had a great time.  If you've never been to Sunset Bay or entered AOTD, you really should do both.  Short of a typhoon, you can find sheltered water somewhere, and if you're a better angler than me, you can find fish.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Indeed it was a great tourney!! For anyone searching for a great spot to get your kayak a little salty sunset bay can be an awesome destination, and the tourney was fantastic, easy going and a great time for all.

After launching Williamesch and I pedaled a good ways out towards the island to the north west of the bay and promptly decided that the 5-7ft rollers were a bit much for us to stomach at that moment, so we hit the bay for a bit and managed to simultaneously get skunked while also storing up a little courage to get out a bit further. We noticed that with low tide a pretty nice sandbar was exposed that would give us access to a nice little bay/pool that is semi protected that would allow us to hopefully find some decent rockfish, maybe a ling or two, and hopefully perch or greenling as well.
After dragging and carrying our kayaks over the sandbar we launched and made our way out. The ocean was still a bit sporty in the semi protected cove, but at least we were able to bounce our jigs off some rocks. It wasn't but the second drop down near the edge of the kelp bed that I found my first fish, a barely legal 22" ling, it wasn't going to win me the event, but it was at least a keeper fish, and with the conditions who knows what could happen? I bonked that guy and kept fishing.
Fortunately William was able to find a nice little school of rockfish and caught a few nice ones. I caught a decent one and moved on to try and catch a greenling. Luckily we both were able to quickly catch a greenling and moved on to try for a perch or cabezon. Our luck unfortunately wore out and despite our best efforts neither of us were able to find another species. I did catch two cabezon, but both were short.

All in all a great tournament, fun (and sporty) day on the water, and luckily most people caught fish!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 11:24:00 AM by Matt M »
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
This was my first tournament ever and I had a great time. Unfortunately, I was one of the ones who got skunked. When we got out in the bay and you could only see the tips of the safety flags bobbing up and down outside the bay, in the interests of self-preservation, we decided to stick with fishing the bay. I worked the kelp beds hard with sand shrimp and jig thinking I'd scare up a perch or a greenling but it was not to be.

The potluck and get together were great and thanks to Roy and all who helped put it all together. I couldn't believe the amount of great stuff in the captain's bag and along with the prizes in the drawing and raffle, it was almost embarrassing to walk away with so much loot. Thanks sponsors!!

Should also add that the winners each had four species and well over 500 points. First and second were only 17 points apart  and there were 27 participants.

Here is a picture of the conditions, bay vs ocean, on Saturday morning. Tuesday I was able to get out when the ocean quieted down and put the lancer jigs I won to some good use. Feeling somewhat redeemed after the skunking.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 05:21:35 AM by C_Run »

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
Glad to see you got on some fish on Tuesday!! The conditions were indeed rough out there for sure!!

You're dead on about the amount of swag in the captains bags and giveaways at the drawing. I probably walked away with close to $100 worth of stuff easily.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL