Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:04:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: VHF Radio  (Read 3880 times)

akalmeda

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good waterproof VHF radio?  Thank you in advance.  AKA.

YippieKaiyak

• Lingcod
  • Date Registered: Feb 2017
There's a few threads on it already but I recommend the Standard Horizon HX290 which I now have two of and am impressed with the quality and battery life.  I tried a cheaper set and had to return them for the abysmal battery life.
Kayaking without wearing a PFD is like drunk driving.  You can get away with it for a while, but eventually someone dies.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
Do you have any special requirements for the area of Alaska where you live?  More broadcast watts?  Ship-to-shore (Digital Selective Calling or "DSC") capability?  Or will what we use down here do the job?
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

C_Run

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Apr 2011
We also have Standard Horizons hx290's and they DO float. About $100 and we like them fine.

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016
I was gifted a cheapy Uniden MHS75 radio and while it works just fine and has handled a few saltwater baths the attachment point to the PFD is less than sketchy, the radio itself always wants to detach from the clip with very little movement (too little.) I've since tethered it to the clip with some 50lb braid and have yet to lose it. I have been looking for a good excuse to swap it out for a HX290, but alas until this one goes or gets lost I will continue to use it. It has worked quite well so far.
-Matt

Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL

dampainter

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2013
i also have the hx290. the range on a good day seems to be about 2 miles?not sure? anyone else? had issue with it getting wet once and could not hear it but could be heard...water in speaker? tried shaking it out but no good til it dried. i use it  along with my cell phone.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:53:39 AM by dampainter »

akalmeda

• Krill
  • Date Registered: Nov 2017
Thank you all for the suggestions/recommendations, I greatly appreciate them. 

showa

• Rockfish
  • Date Registered: May 2016
i have a brand new uniden MHS126 for sale $75. If you are interested, please let me know.

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
i also have the hx290. the range on a good day seems to be about 2 miles?not sure? anyone else? had issue with it getting wet once and could not hear it but could be heard...water in speaker? tried shaking it out but no good til it dried.

You have to take a deep breath and blow the water out of the mic before you transmit or receive after a good dunk. If you're having trouble hearing them with your speaker full of water, they are almost definitely having trouble hearing you with a mic full of water.

There are/were some gimmicky models that buzzed to try and shake the water out, but this is an often overlooked safety issue. If you happen to not be able to self rescue for some reason your radio range will be significantly shortened because of your lower transmission point. If you are taking waves you will have to clear the speaker and mic before transmitting or receiving.

(edit)
Those killer iCom m-88 retail for $299 but don't let that scare you. I have never paid more than $120. Lots of USCG auxiliary members are required to carry their own. Lots of previous luxury yacht owners buy them as back up coms. Also many maritime and quarry/mine workers routinely trade out nice m-88 units.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:32:15 PM by Ling Banger »

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

WestFork

• Herring
  • Date Registered: Apr 2017
I have a Standard Horizon Hx870 because, in addition to being a waterproof VHF radio with up to 6 mile range, it also has gps that serves as a backup to my FF gps. I have gotten clear communication at 5 nm. The radio hasn't been swimming....yet. I keep it clipped to my PFD when I'm on saltwater.

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
I have a Standard Horizon Hx870 because, in addition to being a waterproof VHF radio with up to 6 mile range, it also has gps that serves as a backup to my FF gps. I have gotten clear communication at 5 nm. The radio hasn't been swimming....yet. I keep it clipped to my PFD when I'm on saltwater.
Is the gps on that model more than just a current location reading? 

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
It has some rudimentary tracking capability, Lee - you can set 15 waypoints along your route and a compass display can guide you back.  It beats a compass but isn't as good as the GPS in a fish finder or handheld unit.  You can check it out in the "Owner's Manual" link here: http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=85&encProdID=F074C5751E79473FCD911FF7D468A2E1&DivisionID=3&isArchived=0

Information about how to use waypoints for tracking feature starts on Page 80.

And yes, in GPS mode, it only shows me the GPS coordinates of my current location.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 04:47:14 PM by Tinker »
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Lee

• Iris
  • Sturgeon
  • Fuck Cancer!
  • Date Registered: Jul 2009
If it tells you what direction to go, that's pretty cool.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Klondike Kid

• Lingcod
  • The Eagle Whisperer
  • Alaska Outdoor Journal
  • Date Registered: Sep 2016
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good waterproof VHF radio?  Thank you in advance.  AKA.

akalmeda
I did a lot of research before making a choice for my own purchase. I settled on the Standard Horizon HX870. In a very brief summary: Floating/Waterproof, 1watt/2watt/6watt Trnx, 1800mah battery lasts all day, GPS with 200 waypoints and up to 15 routes, GPS screen range from 1nm to 25nm (like changing range on a radar screen), DSC (Digital Selective Calling) which requires getting your MMSI number(Marine Mobile Service Identity) to program into the radio to allow a phenomenal Coast Guard safety program for determining your location and initiating Search & Rescue. The DSC equipment has finally been fully implemented by the Coast Guard here in Alaska and next to a SPOT or inReach satellite tracker, this service will be what may well save your life.

DSC features on a marine radio that has GPS will immediately transmit your distress signal to the onshore Coast Guard repeaters and to every DSC equipped marine radio within your transmission range. Their radios will immediate analyze your Lat/Lon location and their radios will program in a course and route to take them straight to your location for assistance or rescue. Most likely before the CG can initiate a rescue.

If you are not intimidated by a 136 page very well written manual with lots of illustrations for a radio that just comes short of making you breakfast you cannot beat all the safety features of this model. You can even track up to 5 other DSC/GPS boats' positions by having your radio "poll" them for their location which is displayed on your screen (if you have the nm range set to see them).

This radio is top of the line for a handheld mobile in the Standard Horizon series. I got mine around the end of 2016 on a holiday sale with an exceptional factory mail-in rebate to knock down my out of pocket cost to just under $130. A one time purchase that won't ever need to be upgraded and the cheapest life insurance you can buy.

Part of your MMSI identity account allows you to enter in your online computer account pertinent information about yourself and how many in your party, type of boat you are in, what you may have for safety gear or signaling devices, medical details, etc. which is immediately known to the Coast Guard station that receives your DSC distress call allowing them to know before they head out they are looking for a papaya yellow kayak (me) with smoke, flares, lights, etc. The radio even has a water-activated signaling SOS strobe light that goes on even if the radio is not turned on and has a 3 hour quick charger and removable batteries to swap out if you are remote.

No matter what choice you make my advice is to decide what your life is worth and then make your purchase accordingly. A great radio is typically a one time purchase if you make the right choice the first time. You will never regret it. Use some of that new Tax Cut money and treat yourself right!  :D

Here is the page on this model and it includes a link to the PDF Owner's Manual you can look over too.
http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&DivisionID=3&ProdCatID=85&ProdID=1791

Just my 2 ¢
The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.

Take a Kid Fishing and Hook'em For Life!  ~KK~