Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:33:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 15, 2024, 03:27:21 PM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 15, 2024, 07:27:41 AM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:19:21 PM]

[March 29, 2024, 08:17:12 PM]

by Spot
[March 29, 2024, 03:34:50 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: New Pedal Drive Kayak on the Market from the PNW  (Read 4511 times)

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Nov 2014
Saw this while perusing craigslist (I swear I was only looking, I wasn't shopping).

A local kayak builder. Anyone heard of them?  I guess last year was their first time doing a pedal drive kayak.  They usually do RIB style boats, according to their website.

Looks like a PA with just enough changes that they won't be sued by Hobie.  ;D

Interesting...

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/sgd/d/pedal-drive-fishing-kayak/6493745401.html

http://blackpointmarinenw.com/
Ray
2020 Hobie Outback "Chum Chicken"
2018 Native Titan 10.5 "Battle Barge"
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge
Category - IT’S NOT A DRINKING PROBLEM IF YOU’RE BEING CREATIVE
1st place - The Drunken Bastard

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Weird how people are making this stuff in our own backyard right under our noses and this is the first I've heard of them.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

crash

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jan 2012
Google search shows the company principal is Ellery Mustoe of Scapoose Oregon.  Appears to be pretty handy. 

The kayak looks like a barge, sits really high.  The placement of the rod holders so far forward forward looks odd, has anybody ever run a flush mount holder up there?

Weird apparent lack of market research for a higher price point pedal kayak in the PNW if no one here has ever even heard of this company.  That said, I'd like to demo this boat and I'm already checking out where I'd add a stand up assist bar. 

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Looking at the pics in their gallery, they put 6 flush mount holders on it, so there are more behind the seat too...  The opening for the drive looks like the Hobie style- be interesting to see if their drive is compatible with a Hobie hull.
Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

TP

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
I believe these are made by a company call KingsKraft from Australia http://www.kingskraft.com.au

As i understand it Black Point is the distributor, not the manufacturer. I have no personal experience with either company.

one of our sales reps mentioned seeing these up at the seattle boat show and mentioned them in passing to me last week. 

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
They were on display at the Seattle Boat Show.  The retail on this is $2200 and comes with a cart and a cooler.  It looks like a Native/Hobie Cross right off of Alibaba.  I talked to the folks selling them and they are "designed" in Australia but shipping out of China.  I took a bunch of photos - including the drive which has the same locking teeth that Hobie has (just in reverse).  Propulsion is a propeller.  I played around with it with a buddy and it was tough getting the pedals to turn with one of us holding it. 

Steering control is on one side and is a lever you slide forward or back for turning.  The rudder is hollow plastic but lifts up underneath.  The front hatch has a neoprene looking bag.  Fish bag?  Looked sloppy.  The rod tubes were placed in odd positions around the kayak.  If you go on their Instagram page you can see a demo of it being pedaled. 

Looking at it wasn't enough to get me excited to take it for a demo.  I'd be concerned if something went wrong where to take it.  This dealer brought in a few to test the market.   

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
Thanks for the info Tanner and Brad.  Do either of you know if the drive is compatible with Hobie?  It'd be nice to have reverse for less that $800 for a drive or $2000 for a new boat.  ;)
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
It appears to be the same as the Kings Kraft 3.9 (13) Angler.

There are some YouTube vids out there to oogle at.

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

ballardbrad

• Salmon
  • Kayak Fishing Washington
  • Date Registered: Aug 2010
Thanks for the info Tanner and Brad.  Do either of you know if the drive is compatible with Hobie?  It'd be nice to have reverse for less that $800 for a drive or $2000 for a new boat.  ;)
The drive should fit a MirageDrive but comes with it's on propellor driven drive. Honestly, if reverse is a must try a Native or Predator PDL.  I don't think I'd throw $2200 at this.

INSAYN

• ORC_Safety
  • Sturgeon
  • **RIP...Ron, Ro, AMB, Stephen**
  • Date Registered: Aug 2008
The drive should fit a MirageDrive but comes with it's on propellor driven drive. Honestly, if reverse is a must try a Native or Predator PDL.  I don't think I'd throw $2200 at this.

I get the vibe that he's looking at the idea of getting his hands on the drive system only to slap put it in his Hobie to get some reverse action.   :dontknow:

"If I was ever stranded on a beach with only hand lotion...You're the guy I'd want with me!"   Polyangler, 2/27/15

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon

I get the vibe that he's looking at the idea of getting his hands on the drive system only to slap put it in his Hobie to get some reverse action.   :dontknow:

Yerp!
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

TP

• Perch
  • Date Registered: Jul 2014
As far as I've seen the drive isn't sold separately. Not sure it would be a worthy investment if it was but I haven't seen it in person.

Stay tuned from Riot Kayaks, they have a prop drive unit that's coming out in the next year that they're going to sell for their boats, as well as individually to fit other manufacturer s. Saw the prototype last year but not sure what their timeline is, but from what I was told it should be quite a bit under the m 180 price point.

If it were me I would hold off until a decent priced 180 drive came up used, wouldn't put a Honda 4cyl in my Camero

hdpwipmonkey

• Sturgeon
As far as I've seen the drive isn't sold separately. Not sure it would be a worthy investment if it was but I haven't seen it in person.

Stay tuned from Riot Kayaks, they have a prop drive unit that's coming out in the next year that they're going to sell for their boats, as well as individually to fit other manufacturer s. Saw the prototype last year but not sure what their timeline is, but from what I was told it should be quite a bit under the m 180 price point.

If it were me I would hold off until a decent priced 180 drive came up used, wouldn't put a Honda 4cyl in my Camero

Awesome.  Thanks for the info.
Ray
Wilderness Tarpon 100

www.facebook.com/HOWNOC

2016 Junk Jig Challenge

Matt M

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Mar 2016