Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 12:10:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[April 17, 2024, 09:12:10 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 06:04:24 PM]

by jed
[April 17, 2024, 04:56:16 PM]

by PNW
[April 17, 2024, 03:57:54 PM]

[April 17, 2024, 09:43:36 AM]

[April 17, 2024, 08:01:37 AM]

[April 16, 2024, 10:04:37 AM]

[April 15, 2024, 02:48:20 PM]

by jed
[April 12, 2024, 06:45:30 PM]

[April 11, 2024, 10:21:26 AM]

[April 04, 2024, 07:06:23 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 11:59:14 AM]

[April 03, 2024, 10:23:24 AM]

[April 02, 2024, 09:39:30 AM]

[April 01, 2024, 12:06:53 PM]

Picture Of The Month

Swede P's first AOTY fish is a bruiser!

Topic: Suggestions for Mounting a Fish Finder Head Unit on a Trident 13?  (Read 1814 times)

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
  • Date Registered: May 2013
I'm thinking about putting a HOOK-5 in the Sonar Shield of my Trident 13.

If anyone has pictures of how they mounted a fish finder in the Sonar Shield and would post them or PM them to me, I'd be grateful.  If I do it on my own I'll hugely over-complicate it.

Thanks.
I expected the worst, but it was worse than I expected...

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
The Lowrance 4 is the small vertical version and mine connects to a mount that plugs right into one of the pole holder units in the center.  Will be curious to see what suggestions might come forward, but it's a tighter fit for sure.  Mounting it under the shield would be further forward than I'd like (I think).

Here's a link to one with a FF mounted inside.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2018, 05:23:45 PM by Trident 13 »

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I have a sonar unit mounted in the sonar shield of my 13' Trident, but I don't like it there.  It's too far away to see clearly, and in order to operate its controls I need to slide forward in my seat and reach down past my feet.  On my 13' Revolution, my sonar unit is mounted on the gunwale just in front of my knee, where I can see it and operate it easily.  Tinker, I suggest that you not mount your fish finder in your sonar shield, but instead mount it closer to you on one of the gunwales of your kayak.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
The Lowrance 4 is the small vertical version and mine connects to a mount that plugs right into one of the pole holder units in the center.  Will be curious to see what suggestions might come forward, but it's a tighter fit for sure.  Mounting it under the shield would be further forward than I'd like (I think).

Thanks, T13!  I haven't ruled-out mounting it on the Mod Pod hatch.  I was out with C_Run who can transport his kayak with a smallish finder (like your Elite-4) in the Sonar Pod and I thought that might make getting set up at the water's edge go faster.  Faster than the 45 minutes it takes me, for sure.  I'll check out the video link.  Google failed me when I searched for pictures...

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
I have a sonar unit mounted in the sonar shield of my 13' Trident, but I don't like it there.  It's too far away to see clearly, and in order to operate its controls I need to slide forward in my seat and reach down past my feet.  On my 13' Revolution, my sonar unit is mounted on the gunwale just in front of my knee, where I can see it and operate it easily.  Tinker, I suggest that you not mount your fish finder in your sonar shield, but instead mount it closer to you on one of the gunwales of your kayak.

You're a Master of putting stuff on a kayak, pete, and I'm a student of doing it at least twice when my first idea fails.  The weather hasn't helped me dry-fit test the Sonar Shield location out on the lawn, but I definitely will test it up there to see if I can read it and how hard impossible it will be to reach it.  I mounted my Elite-4 on my Revo 13 in about the same position you chose for yours, and I agree with the value of keeping it close.  The larger 5-inch screen may not be big enough to read if it's mounted in the Sonar Shield.

Thank you.

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin

Does that Scotty universal mount (assuming that's what you used) fit securely in the pole holders of the ModPod?

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
It fits tightly on mine and I can move it around to accommodate pole holders and the downrigger if I use it.  I don't worry about it coming out in the event of a spin, and if it did, it would be connected to the yak with the cables.  With the FF, I usually mount it in the forward right hole and it's snug.

Along that line, I'm using a Scotty Lake Troller DR on the left outside hole.  The boom rests a bit closer to my leg than I'd prefer in case of a spin, but the boom is dispensable if needed and I can still slide out pretty easy and have tried w/o bending the boom, but the issue is there.  I use it with discretion and it's bendable.
But, in answer to your question, the mount does fit, and fit quite tightly.  I've not had any slippage in the ModPod hole with the FF or DR.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 10:05:25 AM by Trident 13 »

Tinker

• Sturgeon
  • Kevin
Thank you, again!  I have a used Scotty rod holder of undetermined lineage that is just a wee bit sloppy in the ModPod holes and wondered if a nely purchased mount was more snug.  Now I know, and I appreciate it.