Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:59:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Topics

[March 27, 2024, 12:49:04 PM]

[March 27, 2024, 07:37:59 AM]

[March 26, 2024, 09:10:45 PM]

[March 25, 2024, 05:15:36 PM]

by Spot
[March 25, 2024, 02:39:54 PM]

by PNW
[March 24, 2024, 07:14:07 PM]

[March 23, 2024, 10:59:04 PM]

[March 21, 2024, 06:23:10 AM]

[March 17, 2024, 06:42:23 PM]

[March 17, 2024, 08:44:53 AM]

[March 15, 2024, 06:45:09 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 05:55:18 PM]

[March 10, 2024, 11:20:08 AM]

[February 29, 2024, 07:05:43 AM]

[February 26, 2024, 01:31:23 PM]

Picture Of The Month

SD2OR with a trophy fall walleye

Topic: Pugent Sound kayaking, skindiver  (Read 1307 times)

Robert Fay

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
Hello,
Retired military diver/ commercial diver (soon to be) getting ready for a new addiction.

Im all geared up for skin diving or SCUBA. Even have my yak rack installed! Everything but the boat. I read alot of kayak fishing magazines and still undecided about my yak.
Any recommendations for a all-around yak from fellow skin divers is appreciated.

I ran into a bunch of you guys out at Neah Bay on Memorial Day weekend. What an active group. 

Retiring from my second career 31 july this year! Looking forward to meeting you guys.

RoxnDox

• Salmon
  • Native Propel
  • Date Registered: Sep 2013
Welcome aboard, ye swabbie 😇 (from an old Air Foce guy)

Are you thinking a pedal boat (Hobie, Native Propel, etc), or a traditional paddle boat?  I have my first yak sitting in the garage collecting dust. It’s an Elie 12 ft paddle boat, which I got with the intention of diving from. I never did, but that’s from a few medical issues rather than anything with the boat.

I’m just down the road in Gig Harbor if you want to look her over or anything.

Here is a pic of the current version at REI: https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Elie+gulf+12%22&lr=&as_qdr=all&prmd=ismvn&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&fir=AKE94djt9HEQ3M%253A%252CLbYqGk_7fPg1rM%252C_%253BxTcmjGFObC7v2M%253A%252CLbYqGk_7fPg1rM%252C_%253BDUo7cKxmIdm6hM%253A%252CLbYqGk_7fPg1rM%252C_%253B-jbI4mItHiRP3M%253A%252CkdU7hWWaLJviUM%252C_&usg=__VULMtlesLxF2-S6pJji2TaUnya4%3D&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi4-ZbmysTbAhWBzLwKHU1LAt0Q420IRA&biw=1024&bih=729&dpr=2#imgrc=i37icr7e4Vo3iM:

Junk Jigs "BEST USE OF ACTUAL JUNK" category - "That tape should have been a prized possession and not junk. That will be a collectors item in 30 years!” & “There sure is a lot of junk in there.”

pmmpete

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2013
I own a 13' Hobie Revolution, which is a pedal kayak, and a 13' Ocean Kayak Trident, which is a paddle kayak.  I do almost all my fishing from the Revolution, because of the advantages of the pedal drive for those of us who don't have three arms, but I snorkel and speargun for pike in Montana from my Trident.  I prefer the Trident for speargunning because I can lay items of gear such as diver down buoys, fins, mask, speargun, etc on the rod pod between my legs and extending forward onto the front hatch.  The pedals and the action of operating the pedals make this space unavailable on the Revolution.  There is a lot of space in the cargo area behind the seat in both kayaks, but I strap a cooler in that space for the fish I whack.

That's my thoughts on the kayak choice issue for spearfishing, but I'm from Montana, and I'm snorkeling, not free diving or scuba diving.  The people you really ought to ask that question are the people who are diving off the coast.  There seem to be more of them on the Northern California Kayak Angler's forum than there are on the NWKA forum, so it would be worth also joining the NCKA forum and asking the same question.

[WR]

• Sturgeon
  • VFW, Life Member at Large, since 1997.
  • ADTA.org
  • Date Registered: Jan 2008
That rectangular area behind the seat is called a TankWell for a reason. ......

Robert, find a 14-16 foot paddle yak and set it up yourself . REI .com will give you a good idea what to look for, and there are plenty of places in our area to buy from. 

NWKA doesn't really have a large yak based diving community,  there are a few members who aren't vocal about it, but our sister site, norcalkayakanglers.com does have a large and sharing group. Also YouTube has some channels with pointers, even one of two focusing on Puget Sound.

Good luck, enjoy your new hobby, and welcome to a new addiction
[WR]
Why so many odd typos ? You try typing on 6 mm virtual keys with 26 mm thumbs....

Trident 13

• Salmon
  • Date Registered: Jul 2016
Check your PM email if you're interested in a nice new 1/2 price gun...or if anyone else is.  Marse Bandit 95, single band, never fired.

Rockbottom

• Perch
  • Date Registered: May 2018
Hello everyone...I just purchased a Hobie Compass and had it outfitted with a fishfinder, a couple rod holders, and probably too much junk.  I will fish for anything!  Took it out a South sound beach for chinook Sunday morning for only its second outing.  Had a blast!  Got POURED on!  Realized dragging the kayak UP the beach is significantly more difficult than down to the water, especially after being out on the water for four hours.  Not a single bite...but didn't see too many other nets out either.
I am really interested in fly fishing for SRC and anything else stupid enough to take my flies.  I'll also try Sekiu after I get a little more experience for rockfish and eventually salmon.  Will try Lake Tapps and maybe Mayfield this summer (tiger muskie seems too cool to pass up).
Definitely going to have to work on the flexibility though....turning around to watch out for boats behind me was a chore.
Hopefully get a chance to run into some of you guys out on the water.  I'll be in a seafoam green kayak probably trying to untangle my fly line drifting aimlessly although I have no problem using gear either (and tangling it up too)

Ling Banger

• Sturgeon
  • Date Registered: Feb 2010
Hello,
Retired military diver/ commercial diver (soon to be) getting ready for a new addiction.

Im all geared up for skin diving or SCUBA. Even have my yak rack installed! Everything but the boat. I read alot of kayak fishing magazines and still undecided about my yak.
Any recommendations for a all-around yak from fellow skin divers is appreciated.

I ran into a bunch of you guys out at Neah Bay on Memorial Day weekend. What an active group. 

Retiring from my second career 31 july this year! Looking forward to meeting you guys.

Big Jim out of NorCal hunts off his Jackson Kraken. I just fish off of mine, but I can see why it would be a great platform for that type of activity.

The Cobra Fish 'n Dive was the gold standard for a number of years. They are getting tough to find, and even tougher to find one that isn't beat up. Astoria Scuba still rents them, if you are down this way and want to try one out. Maybe they might be willing to thin their fleet.

Welcome to the forum.

"We're going to go fishing
And that's all there is to it." - R.P. McMurphy

Robert Fay

• Plankton
  • Date Registered: Jun 2018
thank you everybody